SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    October has not been good to me...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October has not been good to me... Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Well crap, I have a large to-do list and I sit sidelined, in pain and feeling sorry for myself while the last of some PERFECT fall weather passes me by.

I guess the last GOOD thing that occurred was the awesome instant Karma from ensigmatic of a trailer brake controller….

Please bare with me Sig brothers. I just need to vent.
Leaving out many many details.

So I have had esophagus issues for decades, strictures, heartburn etc and too many endoscopies and dilations to count and finally Achalasia and a Laparoscopic Heller Myotomy in 2013 to relieve symptoms. Pretty good since then until about 3 weeks ago. I started puking up blood, lots of it… ER visit, then surgery to repair two tears, one an inch long. Could not eat or drink anything for three days. Lost 12 pounds.

On the way home from the hospital my neck froze stiff, very painful. So back we go and Dr says just muscle spasms. Got a valium shot and 3 prescriptions, two days later not getting any relief, went back, different muscle relaxer. Two or three more days no relief, I’m eating Tylenol and Ibuprofen like candy… can’t get easy or sleep, back again, 3rd different muscle relaxer and different pain medicine… Well finally I’m getting some relief now and some sleep. Better but no where near good.

So I sit here helpless with a brand new tractor I can’t operate and a ton of work to do including closing the pool for the winter...

But the worst… My Leaving Hospital instructions…

GI Dr orders: Mechanical soft foods only.
No colas, nothing fried like my favorite Fried Catfish.
Minced meats only, meatloaf, ground beef etc.
It’s a long list…

Me: OK no problem… For how long? While I heal right?
GI Dr: NOPE… FOR LIFE! He says I need to eat mush for the rest of my life!

I guess it’s better then a feeding tube, but, no bacon again, EVER!!!
I CAN have all the yogurt and apple sauce I want.
Hopefully he will moderate some on my followup visit.

God bless my wife, she has been an Angel of a nurse through this… one of our favorite things is road trips / day trips and eating out. so...

I have completely lost track of time but it’s only been about 3 weeks so now I’m depressed AND ashamed for complaining when so very many are much worse off.

Thanks for listening...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
On the bright side, you are still here and able to complain. Chin up, brother. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Don't be ashamed for wanting to vent. That's a serious life changer. Pain I could deal with, life sentence on food, that's rough.

Hang in there buddy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I too have had GI problems for a very long time.

I let myself go long enough to get Barret's and have had to take proton pump inhibitors ever since. Having joint pain, I was taking NSAIDS until it gave me a duodenal ulcer. Now I can not have ANY pain relief and just have to use a topical diclofenac cream for relief.

I had to change what I eat also, but I still eat a hamburger.

I had a friend die from esophageal varicese caused from GERD and drinking.

So yeah, I feel for you, GI problems are a serious matter that can sit dormant for decades.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’d want to vent, too, especially if that’s part and parcel of how you and your wife enjoy life.

But it is good that you’re still here to complain about it.

Maybe you’re right, do a recheck in a few months, and maybe the doc will see such improvement that you’ll get green lit on a few items in moderation. Just remember, he’s trying to protect your body despite you!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Buy a blender big enough to fit a couple of slices of bacon! Seriously, I feel for you, hang in there. Perhaps a second opinion might be in order.

Posts: 6458 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
From a great leader who ruled over a pandemic:

quote:
“At dawn, when you have trouble getting out of bed, tell yourself: “I have to go to work — as a human being. What do I have to complain of, if I'm going to do what I was born for — the things I was brought into the world to do? Or is this what I was created for? To huddle under the blankets and stay warm?”

~ Marcus Arelious

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Make a list of everything you can eat, and then find every recipe using those things.

You will find plenty in there that will satisfy you.

Easier than looking at nothing but forbidden fruit and lamenting.

But, part of that process is bitching and mourning the loss.

You have my prayers and concern that you heal and can get back to doing the things you want to do.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you and best wishes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Understand you need to vent.... But brother you are still on the top side of the dirt. .Sure beats the alternative. So this is just a molehill in the big scheme of the big picture. Your brothers and sisters are here when needed. ...................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Neck pain is a horrible thing...it's amazing how debilitating it can be. Sorry to hear about the dietary restrictions, too. I'm right there with ya...got diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes this month. Just out of the blue...no explanation. I'm 36 and healthy...not overweight, no family history, and never had any medical problems to speak of until one day my body apparently just decided to stop making insulin. So I'm giving myself shots every day, pricking my fingers, and having to curtail my carb intake especially anything with added sugars. I tell you what...it's amazing the stuff that has carbs in it. So yeah, this October sucks donkey balls.

On the upside, we're both still alive, so there's that Smile. You'll develop an appreciation for the stuff that you can have. Every morning now I look forward to my ham and veggie omlet, and my carb servings of activia yogurt with a couple of spoonfulls of this awesome homemade granola that my wife makes with pecans and coconut. I never used to eat breakfast before, but now they say I have to, and I'm actually enjoying it. I've also figured out how to make a pretty kickass, low carb salad. With all the broccoli and cauliflower I'm eating, I can now pretty much fart on command, which greatly amuses my kids (but not so much my wife Big Grin).

It's sure not the way I envisioned spending the rest of my life, as I'm sure it's not yours, but it sure beats being dead!

Posts: 8542 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post