SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gold: A form of wealth or a barbaric hunk of metal: POLL
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gold: A form of wealth or a barbaric hunk of metal: POLL Login/Join 
posted
Some nations are selling all their gold reserves.

Experts maintain Canada’s decision to sell off gold reserves was the right one

https://westernstandardonline....s-was-the-right-one/

Some nations such as Russia and China have been adding to their gold reserves for many years

Question:
The future of gold is ?

Choices:
The base of future currencies after fiat collapses from massive debt
A heavy metal that will play no significant role in future currencies
Central banks own it for a reason

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you need an IDK button in this one, cause I had not a pick.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Gold has been valuable to humans for thousands of years. I don’t see that changing any time soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Canada doesn't know shit.

They're stupid.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Look at the Canadian government and ask yourself is this something any sane person should emulate?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
D) A useful industrial metal that has intrinic value in many applications.

Regardless of its potential as an investment, there is a certain floor value based on its usefulness in many process applications. From a certain perspective, the value will never be zero. Bitcoin, not so much.

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Gold has had a longer run than any of those “easily trade commodities” that they’re interested in. Food and ammunition would be easily tradable goods, but I don’t see Canada hoarding .22lr.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Don’t take “paper promises” of ownership; take physical control of it yourself. Just remember, if you can’t hold it, you don’t own it.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Good grief, I'm not expert, but I've always believed, and told others, that Gold is not an investment. Gold is a storer of Value.

Those 2 things sound like they are the same, but they are not. They are similar, with a very fine distinction.

Gold is not the be all end all, you should of course have money in other types of investments.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I truly suspect in the event of a world wide financial collapse 22 LR may be far more valuable than gold and easier to barter with.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Can't eat gold.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Can't eat gold.

But you can eat your neighbor.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

If you saw her, you wouldn't say crap like that!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
I truly suspect in the event of a world wide financial collapse 22 LR may be far more valuable than gold and easier to barter with.

I don't think it would be very useful in the event of a total apocalypse type of collapse. I think it has the potential to be very useful in the event of a currency collapse. It's rare so it easily has transferrable agreed value, and its properties will ensure it's useful for industry and decoration for the foreseeable future.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Canada doesn't know shit.

They're stupid.

all in all a pretty ignorant statement

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Gold, like anything else is only worth what someone will give you for it when you need to trade or sell it.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Can't eat gold.

Long pig for dinner?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gold is worth what two parties agree it’s worth. It’s not magic. If there’s a collapse and you have gold but no food and I have food a loaf of bread costs as much gold as I say it does. You can pay or you can starve. There will be no debate on economic theory.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
If there's a collapse, gold will be worth essentially nothing and things like alcohol, booze, cigarettes, ammunition, food, medical supplies will be worth a fortune.

All these things are useful to a starving society and gold is not. It just sits there.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
When gold was $32/oz it was a useful basis for paper money (and could be exchanged for it). At $1800/oz it's not so useful. Coins of a useful value would be so small that they'd be easily lost, so gold would not be a good form of money for daily trade.

Silver was at that time only about $1/oz and coins with silver in them were practical. Right now, a dime-sized silver coin would be worth about $2.50, but that is getting to the point of not too practical.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post