SIGforum
Live Body Armor Test

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4970007844

October 23, 2018, 03:48 PM
TXJIM
Live Body Armor Test
This guy shoots himself in the gut with his 9mm to demonstrate the effectiveness of his product. Eek

https://youtu.be/NEDJI9PhfAM

October 23, 2018, 03:53 PM
Shaql
I wonder if it ever occurred to him where the ricochet would go.

Other than that, why do people feel compelled to show you their stuff works by wearing it when there are plenty of other safer ways to do so.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.
October 23, 2018, 03:54 PM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I wonder if it ever occurred to him where the ricochet would go.

Other than that, why do people feel compelled to show you their stuff works by wearing it when there are plenty of other safer ways to do so.

Because they once saw it in an old black and white movie. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

October 23, 2018, 04:00 PM
darthfuster
You couldn't find a pig carcass to wear the vest? JHE888 once asked about a sword demonstration, "why isn't he cutting meat filled boots?" Same concept.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
October 23, 2018, 04:07 PM
ChicagoSigMan
Just plain dumb. Just because the bullet doesn't penetrate doesn't mean it can't do a lot of damage to internal organs.

I just wouldn't feel good supporting such stupidity with my hard-earned money.
October 23, 2018, 04:08 PM
RHINOWSO
Because everyone is DYING to make that VIRAL VIDEO.
October 23, 2018, 04:09 PM
comet24
Note: Always wear ear protection when shooting self to demonstrate bulletproof jacket works.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
October 23, 2018, 04:17 PM
sigfreund
Richard Davis used to travel the country demonstrating the effectiveness of Second Chance body armor by shooting himself with various handguns while wearing it. He also used to ridicule the concerns about “blunt trauma” because he had shot himself so many times. As I recall from my (admittedly vague) understanding of the issue, that was something the NIJ decided should be worried about, but the early Second Chance vests had nothing to mitigate it.

And soft armor usually contains the bullet: no ricochets.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
October 23, 2018, 04:54 PM
gearhounds
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Richard Davis used to travel the country demonstrating the effectiveness of Second Chance body armor by shooting himself with various handguns while wearing it. He also used to ridicule the concerns about “blunt trauma” because he had shot himself so many times. As I recall from my (admittedly vague) understanding of the issue, that was something the NIJ decided should be worried about, but the early Second Chance vests had nothing to mitigate it.

And soft armor usually contains the bullet: no ricochets.

I remember seeing a few vids where he shoves magazines (the reading kind) under the armor before shooting himself...seems he understood blunt trauma after a few shots after all.

+1 on ricochets- I’ve shot retired body armor panels on a number of occasions. HP ammo often gets tangled in the aramid fibers; FMJ rounds stayed put just fine as well.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
October 23, 2018, 05:10 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I remember seeing a few vids where he shoves magazines (the reading kind) under the armor before shooting himself...seems he understood blunt trauma after a few shots after all.

I wasn’t aware of that, but although I’m sure the experience isn’t pleasant and the magazines no doubt helped some to mitigate the effects, he didn’t always use them and he still managed to survive without regular organ transplants. I’m also not claiming that reducing backface deformation isn’t a good idea, but rather that in the early days the “saves” Second Chance vests racked up were accomplished without its being a big deal.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
October 23, 2018, 06:18 PM
gearhounds
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

I wasn’t aware of that, but although I’m sure the experience isn’t pleasant and the magazines no doubt helped some to mitigate the effects, he didn’t always use them and he still managed to survive without regular organ transplants. I’m also not claiming that reducing backface deformation isn’t a good idea, but rather that in the early days the “saves” Second Chance vests racked up were accomplished without its being a big deal.

Definitely so- and I seem to recall he used full house .44 mags, which are significantly more blunter forcer Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
October 23, 2018, 06:22 PM
parabellum
It's perfectly safe.

He was using a dummy to test it.
October 23, 2018, 06:32 PM
sdy
good old Richard Davis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBLL7Z3OvU
October 23, 2018, 08:28 PM
detroit192
My understanding for Mr. Davis doing the demonstration was at that time there was a belief that the blunt force trauma would render an officer unable to return fire even if the bullet did not penetrate.

DOJ/NIJ testing standards use two different rounds for each of the protection levels, one to test against penetration the other to test for back face deformation in the ballistic clay backing the tested item. Current test rounds are a "slow" 9mm and .40 S&W(level 2a), faster 9mm and 357 Magnum(level 2), and 357 SIG and 44 Magnum(level 3a).

Added:

Looks like there will be a change to the 0101.06 NIJ standards. Level 2 will soon be NIJ HG1 using 124 grain 9mm FMJ at 1305 FPS (Remington #23558) and 158 grain 357 Magnum JSP at 1430 FPS (Remington #22847); Level 3a will be NIJ HG2 using a 124 grain 9mm FMJ at 1470 FPS (also Remington #23558) and 240 grain 44 Magnum JHP at 1430 FPS ( Speer #4453 or #4736).

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor
October 23, 2018, 08:50 PM
radioman
wasn't there some guy outside of the USA who used his wife as the test subject and ended up shooting her?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
October 24, 2018, 09:37 AM
Strambo
He is asking customers to trust their lives to his product and pay hundreds for the privilege.

I don't have a problem if he shoots himself to demonstrate the product. Different risk/reward calculation than a random youtuber.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
October 24, 2018, 10:10 AM
TMats
Until he lifted his shirt, I thought he came really close to his liver. There are also two large blood vessels attached to the liver, the hepatic artery and the portal vein, deep blunt-force trauma could have caused a bleed out of any of the three: the liver itself (not to mention dumping a load of bile into his belly), the artery or the vein. That was +P stupid. If like Strambo says, he took a calculated risk to sell his product, he should have thought more about how and where to place the round.

October 24, 2018, 11:27 AM
rusbro
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

I'm certain the video has gotten way more shares/hits because there's some measure of risk displayed.

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
You couldn't find a pig carcass to wear the vest? JHE888 once asked about a sword demonstration, "why isn't he cutting meat filled boots?" Same concept.....

A classic.

October 24, 2018, 03:08 PM
Sig209
love those videos

the dungeon background take the cake

------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
October 24, 2018, 05:28 PM
radioman
Ah, here it is...
Not even any safety glasses for anyone!!!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/1tOHmjgIShI

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!