SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I got a job offer Update, moved to day shift!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got a job offer Update, moved to day shift!!! Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
congrats

I know its not the ideal right now but it might be a stepping stone to a better time slot in the future

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Congrats Jesse. Glad for you.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Outstanding news - congrats!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new career, that's great news!

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Welcome to IT. The trick in this world is never stop learning and work towards any certifications that will advance your career.

Night shifts in Data Centers are a case of boring mixed with times of high intensity insanity when problems occur. Be the calm voice in the storm that gets things fixed and you will do well.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Happy for you Jesse! I know first hand how thorough and professional you take your work and those qualities will ensure success in your new job.

Congrats!

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1500 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Do you realize that 70 percent of the internet traffic goes through Loudoun County. Your opportunities will be endless once you get your foot in the door. Good luck.

I would also look into course's to take in this field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Technology_Corridor

https://www.datacenters.com/ne...capital-of-the-world

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That is great news, congrats!!

Posts: 13718 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I hope it works out for you. Nights isn't bad--you're at work when your friends and family are sleeping and (hopefully) sleeping when they are at work or school. Your evenings are free for socializing.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked many years on midnight shift. PM me if you want tips on adjusting your schedule.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! Persistence pays!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grats man! I was hoping to see this post sooner rather than later.

Who’s it with, if you don’t mind me asking?

Posts: 725 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
Grats man! I was hoping to see this post sooner rather than later.

Who’s it with, if you don’t mind me asking?

Emailed you. I was wondering if you were going to see this. I can partially thank you, the information you sent me helped me round out the stuff I was reading/watching.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21146 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Night shift means you’ll be working maintenance windows. This is a good thing. You’ll cut your teeth quickly.

Here is a tip: Be willing to do whatever and not bitch about it. DC staff, it’s always I don’t do x or y, that’s someone else’s responsibility, etc. Just do whatever is necessary and you will throw your anchor down. Raised floor environment is fun and ice cold in the summer which is a great thing. Be detailed and don’t let anyone in without ID. It’s a tricky tightrope to walk but if you just do your job you’ll move up fast.

Congrats.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12962 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine, the company I ended up with is growing so damn fast all I have to do is not be a fuck up, and I get to tag along for the ride. I will definitely be following that old wise father advice you just gave. My dad gave me that same advice long ago. When you're cutting your teeth, it's the way to go.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21146 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way to go. I know what you must have been through.
At times I was out of a job...other times I had two jobs.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got your email. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner, we are at the end of commissioning our data center here and I’ve been a bit busy. I thought about bumping my thread to ask but figured if you had heard good news yet you would have already made a forum post about it.

I think you’ll be happy there, it’s a well established company that isn’t going anywhere. Be prepared to be bored on third shift/nights. Any maintenance you’ll do will be simple self-performs, the bulk of their maintenance will happen during the day when there are more people there to assist with any issues that may arise. Once you start you’ll have access to all technical info on the various equipment so I’d suggest reading all of if to get more familiar, starting with the stuff you’re weakest with. For me it was chillers and CRAH/CRAC’s along with fire protection/BMS systems. Anything electrical I have a pretty good grasp with.

What kind of shift rotation do they have you guys on?

Posts: 725 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Great to hear! Hope it’s everything you want and then some.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
...For me it was chillers and CRAH/CRAC’s along with fire protection/BMS systems. Anything electrical I have a pretty good grasp with.

What kind of shift rotation do they have you guys on?

For me I'm pretty much in the same boat, but have a little experience around CRACs and have read/watched anything I could find on refrigeration. I plan on reading any MOPs, data sheets, instructions, manuals, etc. they have on site since I'm suspecting you are right that it will be a bit boring.

I'm not sure what the hours are, the recruiter didn't know. I assume they are between 10pm-6am and 12am-8am.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
A big congrats Jesse..I'll bet the "kids" will be wondering where you are now, as they probably have got used to having you around Wink

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post