SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Project - Marine Diesel Engine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Project - Marine Diesel Engine Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Dale the Builder comes up with some of the most IN-teresting stuff.

This is a Yanmar Marine Diesel out of a sailboat. 1 lunger, 8HP. The boat was junk when it was hauled out 10 years ago, sitting dry didn't help it any. The motor was alleged to be new when it got parked in his field. He basically hacked the boat apart from around the engine/trans/shaft/prop and I loaded it up and drug it home.

So far I've cleaned it up, changed the oil and filter, purged the fuel system with fresh fuel and a new filter and checked to make sure the starter was working good. It has a big freakin' alternator on it and was set up with a dual battery system to run the boat electrical system.

Just need to build a temporary stand for it and I'll steal the battery out of Guido and see if we can make some smoke.

No idea what he'll do with it once it's running, probably sit in his barn for another 10 years. All the parts are there to make a neat little powered dory tho. I don't get excited about boats, but I think something like that might be fun to putt around in.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Interesting. That's a whole lot of metal for 8 hp.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Lotta stresses on a high compression diesel.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a Yanmar Marine Diesel out of a sailboat. 1 lunger, 8HP. The boat was junk when it was hauled out 10 years ago, sitting dry didn't help it any. The motor was alleged to be new when it got parked in his field. He basically hacked the boat apart from around the engine/trans/shaft/prop and I loaded it up and drug it home.

Too bad the boat is gone.
I've been on a large sailboat that used a similar motor when close to shore for docking and maneuvering. It was a neat set-up and made plenty of power for the purpose.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nice, to good of a set up to not use. Maybe power a portable sawmill?

Power a generator?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
With diesels HP isn't the whole story. Probably puts out a lot of torque.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Cool. More pics please

How does the injector pump work? Electric or mechanical?

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Would that be good to power a generator or batteries and inverter for emergency power or for a cabin etc?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Would that be good to power a generator or batteries and inverter for emergency power or for a cabin etc?

It would require some modifications. Mainly cooling, it has no radiator. Haven't figured it all out yet, but pretty sure it pulls in sea water and pumps it overboard with the exhaust.

Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
If that thing is 12v (or if you can source an alternator that is, adding a radiator for engine water and that thing would be the boss to charge up an off grid battery bank or a large battery bank in a camper.

Soooo much better than charging them with A/C

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Cool. More pics please

How does the injector pump work? Electric or mechanical?

Mechanical. Lift pump to the fuel filter then to a mechanical pump built into the governor and on to the injector.

Pic in a few.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
If that thing is 12v (or if you can source an alternator that is, adding a radiator for engine water and that thing would be the boss to charge up an off grid battery bank or a large battery bank in a camper.

Big honkin' alternator, I just assumed it was a pair of 12V batteries. Now you have me wondering. I'll check it out when I get it running.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Big honkin' alternator, I just assumed it was a pair of 12V batteries. Now you have me wondering. I'll check it out when I get it running.

Jimmy might be able to answer some of your questions. I have to assume he'll be along shortly. He's probably seen a bunch of those.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Or two 6V in series.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Fuel system: From 12 gallon poly tank -

by mechanical lift pump to -

low pressure fuel filter to -

mechanical injector pump.

posted Hide Post
I have worked on those.

First of all, if it sat for 10 years I would pull the injectors out and pour in ATF or similar oil to lube the cylinders. Do not reinstall the injectors until you have the starter turning the motor over.

Those engines bang around A LOT, but are okay above 1800 rpm or so. They are very reliable, some people really like them.

Also if it has an aftermarket alternator (powerful), you should install an alternator field disconnect switch. Keep this switch open until the motor is somewhat warmed up. Otherwise will often run in reverse (really).

Yes on the exhaust, that is what it does.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Included in the pile that came with the engine was a Dahl water separator. It had been removed with a knife so I have no idea how/where it plumbs into the system.

Advice from those in the know appreciated.

Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Cooling was likely by a heat exchanger with fresh water/antifreeze flowing through the block for cooling. You could rig a garden hose and run fresh water through the block for test purposes. Long term when you stationary mount it, radiator or heat exchanger in the dory can be fabricated.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Cooling was likely by a heat exchanger with fresh water/antifreeze flowing through the block for cooling. You could rig a garden hose and run fresh water through the block for test purposes. Long term when you stationary mount it, radiator or heat exchanger in the dory can be fabricated.

I did notice while I was moving it around to work on it that some antifreeze came out of the pump on the front. That confused me mightily. Is the "heat exchanger" integral with the engine?

I've worked on a couple of lobster boats that just had a loop of tubing under the hull that the engine coolant circulated through. A crude but efficient heat exchanger using ambient sea water as the medium.

Didn't see any similar fittings on the sailboat.

EDIT: Just occurred to me that the antifreeze may have been for winterization. Also, having surfed around a bit, I did see a fitting that might have been the seawater cooling valve. It was right next to the remants of the toilet so I thought it was the overboard discharge for that. I'll go back and look tomorrow.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used to work on Cummins 902 s and the water exchange system was on the block. Sea water came into a tube bundle where it took heat away from the closed system full of antifreeze. And the seawater went out into the exhaust system...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post