SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Handheld Shower Heads?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handheld Shower Heads? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
The wife and I are wanting to swap the fixed shower head in our walk-in shower with a handheld shower head.

What's a good model from a quality manufacturer, with decent pressure/flow rate (i.e. preferably one with an easy to remove restrictor), and simple installation?

I'm not a plumber and we're not remodeling the bathroom, so I'd prefer one where I can simply unscrew the existing head, put on some new Teflon tape, and screw the new handheld unit into place. But I'm not opposed to some basic disassembly to remove the restrictor inside.

A magnetic head seems like a good idea, but that's not necessarily a requirement. However, I don't need a really fancy setup, with 23 different massage settings, LED lights, a can opener, and a MP3 player that plays soothing jungle sounds.

Thanks!

Posts: 33039 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Me too. Following this thread.

Should the old one unscrew easily? I don't want to mess up anything in the wall.

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Hansgrohe.

http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1916 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have them in three bathrooms.
pretty straight forward with diverters .
I perfer push on and off type with the cradle that holds the head.
Hoses are the problem,get the braided types,plastic one are shit.
I am still using a thirty year old shower massage unit I got from Sears.
No kit is complete and you will need extra do dads.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like delta, they make a nice one that becomes part of a bigger shower head. This one sis nice

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Delta...Hand-Shower/50297997

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Got tired of mid-range products crapping out. Unwilling to pay megabucks for uber top of the line heads, we went with these @ $25 each which have proved more than decent. Installed 3 throughout the house last year. Figured that if they crapped out like the close to $100 models, it'd be no big deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JUZTG4M/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
with decent pressure/flow rate

Be honest. You're asking for your wife, aren't ya? Wink

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I have a Delta, similar to this one, that has held up well. No leaks or problems with the hose.

Posts: 2692 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't need a really fancy setup, with 23 different massage settings, LED lights

You haven't lived until you get the LED lights going and the rock music playing each morning.

Stay away from most of Home Depot's offerings. What I have looked at in their store locally doesn't appear to be of the greatest quality. YMMV.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8760 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
http://www.highsierrashowerheads.com/
i have the 1.8gpm it works great its pricy but worth it and made in the usa
its cheaper on amazon https://www.amazon.com/sp?_enc...4LU&tab=&vasStoreID=

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
quote:
with decent pressure/flow rate

Be honest. You're asking for your wife, aren't ya? Wink

Nah. Truthfully, I'm the only who likes a really high pressure shower. Great for those days when I had to go hands-on with some scrotebag who hasn't bathed since Bush was president, and feel like I need a pressure washer to scour the top couple layers of skin off.

Come to think of it, a bleach dispenser attachment would be handy, too.

(A higher pressure/flow rate would also make rinsing the shampoo from the dense hair of our extremely furry 120+ pound Labradoodle much easier. It's sorta like bathing Chewbacca...)

Posts: 33039 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've found that finding the right shower head is a lot like finding the right pillow. You've got to buy a bunch of them and spend hundreds of dollars before you find the right one.

For me, I require a lot of pressure and thick streams coming from the head. I want to feel like I'm standing in a river vs. standing out in the yard while its raining.

While I certainly haven't tried them all, and there likely is better out there, what works for me are the low-end el cheapo plastic Delta heads. I think I spent around $12 per for them at Ace Hardware.

I think this is the one, although its been close to 10 years since I bought them.

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
For me, I require a lot of pressure and thick streams coming from the head. I want to feel like I'm standing in a river vs. standing out in the yard while its raining.

That sounds about right for me.

posted Hide Post
I decided to replace my showerhead with a handheld a few months ago and due to my OCD that opened up a can of worms...

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, I wanted good pressure/flow and something simple.

I tried 4-5 brand and styles and finally settled on the Delta Faucet 75700. It does what I want/need it to and was pretty affordable.

One word of caution. Be careful at Home Depot and Lowes. Many of the older model heads are 2.5gpm rated and the newer are 2.0. The model numbers are identical and you have to pay attention to what is on the box. I ended up ordering on Amazon where they give you a clear option.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
I have a Delta, similar to this one, that has held up well. No leaks or problems with the hose.

This is the one we bought from Lowes a year ago and we both love it. I think we paid a little less for it though.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
I'm a fan of Hansgrohe.

http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/

We gutted and remodeled two bathrooms over the last 18 months, and also went with Hansgrohe and are very happy. This is the entire package, except we went with the less expensive hand shower unit, not on the wall bar. We plumbed it inside the wall before tiling in the shower. Works great. Love the rainshower.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7W165N?psc=1

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I always remove flow restrictors on any shower head. A few tools and possibly a drill are your best friends.

I guess I won't put in the obvious joke/usage for handheld showerheads… because of course they're quite useful for a variety of other things including washing the dog. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We like the plain white plastic one - waterpik maybe? The metal versions have too heavy of a hose and eventually start drooping

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
We finally broke down & got a new model to replace one going on 20 years in service.

From the local Ace Hardware store, it cost just over $20 with a 6' long hose, simple replacement to screw on & tighten slightly with pliers. Seems to be a chrome/nickle/metal of some kind.

I swear it has at least double the pressure as the old one, and I have to turn it down about 80% to my own comfort level. It has about 6 settings. All the LED/virtual reality/holographic stereo models were gone.

Water Pick. Thumbs up now about 3 months into owner use cycle.

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I always remove flow restrictors on any shower head. A few tools and possibly a drill are your best friends.

I guess I won't put in the obvious joke/usage for handheld showerheads… because of course they're quite useful for a variety of other things including washing the dog. Wink

You got your pets mixed up.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post