SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hospital helipad destroyed by US Osprey...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hospital helipad destroyed by US Osprey... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
The emergency helipad at Addenbrookes Regional Hospital in Cambridge UK was destroyed when an Osprey aircraft from nearby RAF Lakenheath took off and spread the ground mats over the landscape.

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/hos...ed-us-162220333.html

Note also that a strop of some kind fell off the airframe at 0:28.

The nearest emergency helipad is a Cambridge airport, which means that high-risk patients flown in by the more usual Cambridge Air ambulance [formerly piloted by Prince William, BTW] will have to land there and use a road ambulance right through the centre of a medieval city with a tangle of busy streets.

Let's hope it gets fixed quickly.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a much better video, the damage takes place during takeoff at the end of the 3:10 video:

https://youtu.be/ObfdLy-QlsU

What got blown over appears to be rubber like a very large door mat. One of the better comments to the video:

"You know, there's an excellent material known as concrete that just might remedy the problem. Yoga mats and duct tape typically don't perform well in an aviation environment."

Another article:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-w...-a-hospitals-helipad

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That video is bonkers. I hope the helipad is restored to service soon.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was about to say “damn that must have been a HUGE bird” but then I thought about it for a minute. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
One of the better comments to the video:

"You know, there's an excellent material known as concrete that just might remedy the problem. Yoga mats and duct tape typically don't perform well in an aviation environment."

Big Grin True statement there....Funny, but True! Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
So the Osprey landed on the grass next to the "pad", but a medical helicopter couldn't do the same?

And why is a hospital using a temporary pad over grass in the first place? Even our smaller hospitals have dedicated helipad locations, even if it's just a corner of the parking lot.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Helipad? More like garage mat pad. 20 bucks and a trip to Deep Homo and it’s repaired. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Well when you build with substandard materials, this is bound to happen.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
So the Osprey landed on the grass next to the "pad", but a medical helicopter couldn't do the same?

And why is a hospital using a temporary pad over grass in the first place? Even our smaller hospitals have dedicated helipad locations, even if it's just a corner of the parking lot.

I have to agree 100%. The usual helipad is grass - don't ask me why, its THE largest hospital complex in Southern England by a long chalk, and. with TWO major USAF bases, a couple of RAF bases and at one time, FIVE major Army bases all within the big lump of East Anglia, it would seem to have been a missive oversight NOT to have build a helipad that could take a Chinook or two.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Do what we do in Bumfuck Minnesota when we need a Dustoff in places without pads: land on the road, land in a field, land in a parking lot. I'm sure the pilots in the UK are no less skilled.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Years ago President Bush visited our City during some devastating California wildfires. They had three IIRC of the Marine-1 Helos that travelled all together, (2 as diversion I am guessing) What was interesting is they had a guy with a checkbook in the Presidential tour who wrote checks on the spot to homeowners whose roofs were damaged by the Helicopter wash.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a big ooofff, for the coordinating/liasoning officer for the squadron.

Those are temporary pads which accordion'd out from under the rotorwash, not sure why a more permanent and durable pad wasn't built for such an important facility; I imagine costs and some administrator minimizing such could be at fault. Send in a USAF Red Horse squadron to build the hospital a new pad.

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Around here two guys with names like Jose & Manuel could frame up a concrete pad in the morning & have it poured & finished around lunch-time.

@ Tac: Are there such fellows in the UK?

Not for nothing, but those mats can't be cheap...

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5479 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maj Keavy Rake, from the USAF 48th Fighter Wing, said: “The area was surveyed according to our policies and procedures and some damage did occur.

"We are taking steps to rectify as soon as possible.

"Our units are continuously coordinating with our local partners to improve operations. We are greatly appreciative of the relationship and coordination we have with the U.K.”

Compete article:

https://www.itv.com/news/angli...ry-training-exercise

FWIW, 48FW is the host wing at Lakenheath, the CV-22 belongs to 352SOW at Mildenhall.

https://www.352sow.af.mil/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Helipad? BS. More like heli-mat. As mentioned previously, pour some concrete will ya.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Years ago President Bush visited our City during some devastating California wildfires. They had three IIRC of the Marine-1 Helos that travelled all together, (2 as diversion I am guessing) What was interesting is they had a guy with a checkbook in the Presidential tour who wrote checks on the spot to homeowners whose roofs were damaged by the Helicopter wash.

In 1993, Clinton came to the St Louis area to see the flooding that was happening. His helicopter landed on one of the local high school football fields. Completely tore up their rubberized track.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that about 20 guys could have that back online in less than an hour...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Do what we do in Bumfuck Minnesota when we need a Dustoff in places without pads: land on the road, land in a field, land in a parking lot. I'm sure the pilots in the UK are no less skilled.

Especially the USAF pilots of these things - used to landing on ALL kinds of crap, let alone backyard patio matting....

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Seems to me that about 20 guys could have that back online in less than an hour...

Hell, it probably only took four guys to lay it in twenty minutes....

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Around here two guys with names like Jose & Manuel could frame up a concrete pad in the morning & have it poured & finished around lunch-time.

@ Tac: Are there such fellows in the UK?

Not for nothing, but those mats can't be cheap...

Alas, we have no cheap Hispanic labour in the UK...