SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    seeking new vehicle fire extinguisher--what's the latest/best?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

seeking new vehicle fire extinguisher--what's the latest/best? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
Unsure in the face of conflicting claims, about what is proper/adequate hand held fire suppression unit for a mid size pick up.

My reading about the design changes was up dated regularly until about 5 or 6 years ago. Looking for decent flame control without dousing with the stuff that spreads objectionable goo around.

I suppose one special for under hood, maybe a different kind for cab/seating.

What's the current resident advise on this subject?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Element E50. https://elementfire.com/

Non-pressurized, non-messy, small, and easy to store, all with a longer discharge period than a pressurized can extinguisher.

Perfect for vehicles.

The only downside is the price.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Thanks RogueJSK, it looks great. Yes spendy as you say. I'll be researching this one further

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any idea about shelf life of the Element? If it's at least 10 years, then it might be worth it. Their website didn't mention anything about shelf life

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
Any idea about shelf life of the Element? If it's at least 10 years, then it might be worth it. Their website didn't mention anything about shelf life

In the FAQ:
“Element never expires (no shelf life)”

Very interesting product! I just may have to order a couple.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what you want the extinguisher to do. If its simply put out the fire any small chemical extinguisher will be fine for fires you can likely extinguish yourself. If you want to not have a big cleanup (which will not matter very often in my fire fighter experience) then you want one of the modern halon substitutes I carry a amex halotron one in all my vehicles and also carry a cheap dry chem in case I have to help a passing person. The "Element" I can't help you evaluate as it lists the agent as Potassium Nitrate which I have no experience with as an extinguishing agent, and on the surface it is problematic as there is NO UL certification. doesn't mean its not worthy of assessment, but just a factor to consider. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
one of the modern halon substitutes

I'm adding these to my research list.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~