SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    can your fancy schmancy "smart " phones do this?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can your fancy schmancy "smart " phones do this? Login/Join 
posted
I get a dozen calls a week from phone numbers that I do not recognize.
I just push the ignore button on my flip phone.

is there a button on the smart phones that you can push to block these numbers , in the future?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54656 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can block a number from calling you again with the touch of a button on most current smartphones.

With that said, it doesn't do a lot of good. Most spam callers use a bank of rolling numbers so they can call you from an almost infinite amount of different numbers.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

is there a button on the smart phones that you can push to block these numbers , in the future?

Yes. I get maybe 5 or 6 calls in a year that make it thru the various filters and blocks I have in place. If I don't recognize the number and they don't leave a voicemail I just hit the ignore button and then block the number. Easy peasy.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Where is this ignore button?

Posts: 5623 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

Well, on my iphone, it's seemingly every button but the one on the screen to answer the call. One press to silence the ringer and a second to send it to voicemail early.

Posts: 17161 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

On an iphone it's the button on the side of the phone. If your phone is ringing or vibrating and you want to ignore it just hit that button and it will quit ringing or vibrating. Then just go into your call list and block the number if you want to.

I think if you hit either of the volume buttons it will silence an incoming call as well.

You can always hit the Decline button on the screen as well and it will go straight to voicemail.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
On an iPhone, you can also go to recent calls, hit the “i” for info, bottom of screen, is a button “Block this Caller"

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4027 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
It's much the same for my LG G6 Android phone. Go to recent calls and go to options and select block number. I used to get 3-6 calls a day and it's maybe 1-2 per week now.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Not only can it do that, I can read Sigforum on it.

In fact, that’s the only way I do it.

Posts: 26920 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My android has a 'if not on contact list' ignore feature; easy way to silence ring is to turn screen flat down; and there's always the 'OFF' button as well.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
iOS 13 can block unknown callers.

Prior to that, I created a silent ring tone and set it as default and assigned a real ring tone to all my contacts. Also, people have turned on Do Not Disturb and set all their contacts to bypass it.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yes, but even better!

I set my iphone to block all calls from numbers not in my contacts. It never even rings.

A notice of a call is displayed on the lock screen and the numbers are saved in case you want to review them.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I use a smaller, older iPhone SE, and with spam calls, I get a caller ID saying its spam. I can reject the call, then block it. Problem is they'll just call back with a different number, or spoofing someone.

I got a call a few days ago from a number that I thought I recognized. It was a recording, telling me that my SSN was suspended due to my criminal activities, and that I was under investigation by the FBI. I hung up, and didn't bother to wait for the part where the call would have directed me to enter my SSN to help clear up the matter...

Then I blocked it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't even need a button. When the phone rings, I just say in my best Archie Bunker voice 'stifle!'

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Android has a green and a red headset on the phone app. Swipe the red to ignoe. The phone recognized high volume call numbers and you can block them.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
No ignore feature, but mine comes with a button that sounds and air horn and shocks their genitals when a scam is likely.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29710 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

New software release on iphone (V13) allows you to choose to make all non-contact calls go straight to voice mail by automatically silencing them. Make this selection, and there is no need to ever push another button for an unknown call.

--k

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I hate updating Apple software as they are compelled to make useless, pointless, and annoying changes to the user interface. I can’t tell you how many times I have thought or said, “Now WTF have they done with <whatever>?”

That said, I was in a position where I had to update to 13.0. I have yet to determine all the things that they screwed up on this rev, but they did add one feature that makes it all worthwhile. After going to Settings, Phone, scrolling down, and turning “Silence Unknown Cal...” on, my phone no longer rings when someone who is not in my contacts calls. If they leave a message, I’ll listen and may call back. If not, I just don’t care.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually the volume down button will immediately silence a call and I believe hitting it a second time will end the call.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There is a little slider switch on iPhones, on the left side, just above the volume buttons. This switch silences the ringer.

I just leave the ringer turned off (might turn it on if I'm expecting a call from somebody I know).

The badge on the phone icon will indicate when I have a missed call or voicemail.

Apple introduced a new feature several months ago, great for those of us who are hearing impaired. There is a voice-to-text option available on voicemail, so we can read voicemail messages instead of trying to decipher garbled sounds. I think it uses the same voice recognition system that Siri uses.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post