SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA New Dog Food Warnings!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA New Dog Food Warnings! Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
FDA Warning: These 3 Expensive Brands of Food May Increase Your Dog’s Risk of Heart Disease

"Which brands are the ones to worry about?

These three brands were most commonly associated with dogs reported to have DCM.

Acana
Zignature
Taste of the Wild

But they weren’t the only brands. The report reads like a Who’s Who of expensive dog food. You can check it out here. When you pull up the report, hit Control F and type your dog food brand into the search bar.

I know that I’ve given Taste of the Wild to my own dogs – it was highly recommended by dog trainers and vets at one point in time."

https://www.theorganicprepper....-dogs-heart-disease/

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8401 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Cardiomyopathy I learned more about this last year at a CE seminar- something that’s been discussed for a while in the veterinary world- I’m sure slabsides can share more- maybe Jeff Yarchin too, since this is part of his business.

ETA: (I assume you’re talking about grain free)

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5359 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I was chatting with my aunt who is a vet about this just the other day. Apparently this whole "dogs should only eat grass fed unicorns that roamed in high mountain meadows" business is causing heart trouble. Basically, it was explained to me that over the past 15 millennia dogs have adapted to eat what we eat.

It's not like I'm going to start feeding my pup Dad's or Old Roy, but damn, nature is a harsh mistress.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Acana is high protein & very low carbs. It is known that the FDA is in bed with the big players in the Pet Food industry such as Mars who promote their high carb food with imported ingredients from China. After purchasing Blue Buffalo, Mars moved production to their existing facilities as soon as they had capacity. Mars corporate offices are in Franklin (suburban Nashville) so the horse's mouth is close by. My Beagle daily gets 1 cup of Acana Appalachian Ranch mixed with 1/2 cup of; boiled chicken breast ($2 lb at Walmart), microwaved sweet potato, steamed green beans, & fresh chopped Italian Parsley (helps with doggie breath).

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4284 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
From the AKC

What Dog Owners Need to Know About the FDA’s Grain-Free Diet Alert

The FDA launched an investigation into potential links between canine heart disease and diet — specifically grain-free diets. We’ve compiled the information you need to know to understand this recent development.

What is the FDA Investigating?
It is easy to jump to conclusions anytime we see an FDA headline about pet food. After all, our dog’s health is essential to us, and we know that diet can make a big difference in a dog’s well-being. We reached out to Dr. Jerry Klein, the Chief Veterinary Officer of the AKC, to hear his thoughts on the investigation.

“The FDA is investigating a potential dietary link between canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and dogs eating certain grain-free pet foods. The foods of concern are those containing legumes such as peas or lentils, other legume seeds, or potatoes listed as primary ingredients. The FDA began investigating this matter after it received reports of DCM in dogs that had been eating these diets for a period of months to years. DCM itself is not considered rare in dogs, but these reports are unusual because the disease occurred in breeds of dogs not typically prone to the disease.”

After the advisory, 149 new cases of DCM were reported to the FDA.

What is Dilated Cardiomyopathy?
Dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) is a type of canine heart disease that affects the heart muscle. The hearts of dogs with DCM have a decreased ability to pump blood, which often results in congestive heart failure.

Some breeds, especially large and giant breeds, have a predisposition to DCM. These breeds include Doberman Pinschers, Great Danes, Newfoundlands, Irish Wolfhounds, and Saint Bernards. While DCM is less common in medium and small breeds, English and American Cocker Spaniels are also predisposed to this condition.

When early reports from the veterinary cardiology community indicated that recent, atypical cases in breeds like Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Whippets, Bulldogs, and Shih Tzus all consistently ate grain alternatives in their diets, the FDA took notice.

Should you be Concerned About Grain-Free Diets?
According to Dr. Klein, “At this time, there is no proof that these ingredients are the cause of DCM in a broader range of dogs, but dog owners should be aware of this alert from the FDA. The FDA continues to work with veterinary cardiologists and veterinary nutritionists to better understand the effect, if any, of grain-free diets on dogs.”

In the Dec. 1 version of the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Lisa M. Freeman, DVM, Ph.D., DACVN, provided an update to the research on DCM and emphasized the issue is not just grain-free diets. She calls the suspected diets “BEG” diets (boutique companies, exotic ingredients, or grain-free diets).

“The apparent link between BEG diets and DCM may be due to ingredients used to replace grains in grain-free diets, such as lentils or chickpeas, but also may be due to other common ingredients commonly found in BEG diets, such as exotic meats, vegetables, and fruits,” Freeman wrote.

Freeman emphasizes that although there appears to be an association between DCM and BEG diets, the relationship has not yet been proven, and other factors may be equally or more important.

As a general rule of thumb, the best thing you can do for your dog’s dietary health is to consult your veterinarian, not the internet. Together you can weigh the pros and cons of your dog’s diet and if necessary monitor your dog for signs of DCM. Cases of DCM in dogs related to a specific diet can be reported to the FDA via their Safety Reporting Portal.

Posts: 6065 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Fascinating list. I can't help but notice the cheapest dog foods are not on the list and that most of the foods listed are expensive. This leads me to question whether these foods are the problem or maybe since the people can afford the expensive food, they can also afford testing there dogs to finds these diseases hence these brands are over reported?

Posts: 11022 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Been feeding our rescue Zignature due to some grain allergy. Supplement with pork or beef and sometimes frozen venison.Always bought supposedly the best. Might have to rethink all of this.

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Switched my dogs years ago from Blue Buffalo to TOTW......never an issue.

A good resource for reviews and recalls:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/...-reviews/dry/5-star/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
My breeder told me last year not to feed legumes. I feed only meat, either raw or cooked.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information!

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Ya know, I'm beginning to wonder if there's anything I can feed my dog anymore than won't be bad for him. No matter how much research I do or how much I spend, it seems nothing is good for him. I'm reaching the point of frustration overload here. Mad

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
This is in part why I feed 3 different brands and types of food. (nutritional variety, and not a huge amount of any one ingredient).

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The issue isn’t the fact that the foods are grain free....so many people out there are getting the impression that switching back to a food that has grains will eliminate the problem. That isn’t the case at all though. The problem is taurine absorption by the body is supposedly inhibited by some of the fillers in some of these grain free foods, most notably peas, legumes and potatoes. Chickpeas too I think.

Feel free to feed grain free all you want just look to see if these fillers are in the ingredients and avoid them if they are.

Personally we feed a commercially prepared frozen raw diet for our dogs. We don’t have to worry about this grain free thing going on, and at the same time we aren’t polluting them by feeding a bunch of things that aren’t good for them (like grains and tons of carbs). Steve’s Real Food is the brand we feed, and it’s top shelf stuff. With 4 dogs it is expensive, I’m not going to lie...but we don’t have kids and we can afford it so that’s what we’re gonna do to try to make sure they love the longest and fullest lives they can.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Ya know, I'm beginning to wonder if there's anything I can feed my dog anymore than won't be bad for him. No matter how much research I do or how much I spend, it seems nothing is good for him. I'm reaching the point of frustration overload here. Mad

We currently have 2 small dogs and I have always had 1 or 2 since I was a little kid. Plus several bird dogs. They eat what I/we eat. Our 2 we have now love pepperoni and beef pizza. Anyway, all of our pups have lived to be 14 to 17 years old and only I had some medical issues that were related to his bread.

I know you can’t feed an 80 lb dog hamburgers and table food all the time, I guess. But I think this whole dog food craze thing is a load of poop.

Ours even eat chocolate, OMG, and haven’t dropped dead from a heart attack.

Grill some extra burgers, hot dogs, and chicken and give them some deli ham or turkey sometime. They live to eat, sleep, play, and poop.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
From Champion, maker of Origen and Acana

DCM FAQ’S

Q. What is the latest FDA update on DCM about?

A. On July 12, 2018, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) issued a brief stating that they were investigating recently reported cases of a type of heart disease known as dilated cardiomyopathy, or DCM. The brief noted that some dogs who had this disease may have been fed certain types of diets. When researching a health concern, the FDA seeks to provide consumers with periodic updates on their progress. A second update was provided on February 19, 2019.

The FDA’s update of June 27, 2019 says it is “continuing to investigate and gather more information in an effort to identify whether there is a specific dietary link to development of DCM.” More specifically, its update provides no causative scientific link between DCM and our products, ingredients or grain-free diets as a whole. We think it is misleading for the FDA to post the names of brands, while at the same time fully stating that they have no scientific evidence linking diet to DCM. We feel this will only serve to further confuse Pet Lovers.

Q. What is DCM?

A. DCM is a serious but rare condition. Of note, of the 77 million dogs in the U.S., 0.5% to 1% have DCM, and of those dogs with DCM, less than 0.1% are speculated to have DCM related to diet, although that is not scientifically proven. It is more prevalent in certain breeds, especially many larger dogs. While the cause of DCM is still unknown, it has recently been speculated by some that grain-free foods containing certain carbohydrates could potentially lead to a deficiency of the amino acid taurine in some dogs. Insufficient taurine in the body has been linked to DCM in several species of animals, including dogs. The carbohydrates cited in those reports cover a broad category of ingredients classified as legumes, which includes peas and lentils. In the recipes Champion makes, we emphasize fresh and raw meat with total animal-derived ingredients ranging from 60 to 85 percent of the finished product. Legumes are not a significant feature in Champion’s recipes, and never have been.

Q. What has the FDA learned so far from its research?

A. The FDA has not provided any scientific data or research on the cause of DCM, or whether or not diet has anything to do with the disease. Research on issues such as this typically take several years to complete.

Q. Why did the FDA list Champion foods in their update?

A. FDA claims it has an obligation, under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to disclose the names of brands that are reported related to any specific health concern that the FDA is researching. The FDA’s announcement provides no causative scientific link between DCM and our products, ingredients or grain-free diets as a whole and it is unfortunate that the release of incomplete information is causing confusion among Pet Lovers about the food they purchase for their pets and the diets they follow.

Q. What role does diet play in DCM?

A. The exact cause of recent reported incidents of DCM has not yet been identified, but genetic predisposition is known to be a highly contributing factor to DCM in dogs in general. It is possible that multiple factors are playing a role.

Q. What is Champion doing about this potential issue?

A. Champion takes seriously our commitment to provide safe pet food that delivers complete and balanced nutrition, and we welcome new information that can help us keep this commitment. In the meantime, we have taken several actions and will continue to do so, which include:

• We held two long-term feeding trials with enhanced DCM protocols on two different breeds of dogs – Beagles and Labs. We do these trials regularly on all of our diets, but we enhanced these trials to measure taurine levels in blood to see how diet impacted taurine levels over time. Not only did the dogs appear to enjoy the diet, there were no signs of DCM or precursors to DCM after our trials.
• We completed studies on starch, fiber, and amino acid in all our diets and found no concerns.
• We performed digestibility and bioavailability studies of amino acids on different diets, with positive results.
• We are actively working internally and with other industry leaders to research and learn more about DCM.
• Champion has a senior nutrition scientist working with a committee of nutrition experts from other pet food companies who meet regularly to review any DCM developments, research data, and evaluate ideas to continue to study and understand this topic.
• We continuously evaluate all nutrients in our dog foods with the goal of constant improvement and evolution of Champion’s recipes. In September 2018, we reformulated and launched our ACANA Singles foods, adding more meat and taurine supplementation to exceed a Champion established minimum.
• Our Biologically Appropriate foods mission is based on the best available research at any one time, including research into DCM. As more facts become known and accepted, Champion adjusts its foods accordingly with the ultimate goal of creating an ideal or optimal nutrient range for dog foods.
• We created the Champion Transparency Council, opening our doors to established independent veterinarians and to pet lovers in the spirit of true openness.

Q. Is grain-free pet food safe for my pet?

A. Millions of dogs are thriving on grain-free dog food every day. The FDA’s investigation focuses on certain ingredients that figure more prominently in some pet food products labeled as grain-free. FDA is focusing on certain ingredients, including legumes like peas or lentils, other legume seeds, or potatoes, in its investigation, but has not identified any established causative scientific link between certain ingredients and incidents of DCM. In the recipes Champion makes, we emphasize fresh and raw meat, with total animal-derived ingredients ranging from 60 to 85 percent of the finished product. Legumes are not a significant feature in Champion’s recipes, and never have been. Grain-free diets can have many tangible benefits over grain-based foods in general and should not be categorized as a potential concern or problem.

Q. Should I avoid certain ingredients or grain-free dog food as a whole?

A. The FDA stated on July 12, 2018, February 19, 2019 and June 27, 2019 that the agency does not advise any dietary changes based solely on the information gathered. Grain-free diets can have many tangible benefits over grain-based foods in general and should not be categorized as a potential concern or problem.

Q. Should I be concerned if my pet’s food contains one of the ingredients mentioned by the FDA?

A. FDA has not linked any specific pet food or ingredient to incidents of DCM and has not recommended any changes to diet. It is important to make sure the food you are feeding your pet is formulated to be complete and balanced for a pet’s life stage. If you have additional questions related to a specific ingredient we suggest reaching out to us directly.

Q. What if Champion foods prove to have some effect on DCM?

A. There is still much to be learned about DCM. Of note, of the 77 million dogs in the U.S., 0.5% to 1% have DCM, and of those dogs with DCM, approximately 0.1% are speculated to have DCM related to diet, although that is not scientifically proven. There is no causative scientific data drawing conclusions or providing any evidence that links our foods, or any grain-free foods, to DCM.

Q. Why should I trust Champion?

While we and the industry work to learn more about DCM, you can trust that Champion foods are safe for your pets. From our company’s founding, we have worked to source the highest quality ingredients and to source them whenever possible from local suppliers. We have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to build the most sanitary, most state-of-the-art pet food facilities in the world; in fact, our operations surpass most human food production facilities. We make the food ourselves, we don’t use contract producers, so you can trust that ACANA and ORIJEN are made in strict accordance to our own recipes from high quality ingredients. And we employ food scientists and nutritionists who hold numerous PhD’s, MSc’s and who, along with our in-house veterinarian, test and research our foods every day. So, if you want to know if you can trust Champion, we ask that you judge us by our actions, not by unproven theories or by what others may say about us. Champion’s goal has always been to make the World’s Best Petfood, and to earn the trust of Pet Lovers everywhere.

https://www.championpetfoods.com/faqs/dcmfaqs/

Posts: 12938 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Acana

Noticed that some of the purported issues is the replacement of some grains with lentils, chickpeas, and other items.

On the dog food advisor web page, Acana ingrediants list chickpeas, green lentils, whole yellow peas as filler...

I'm not picking on Acana, just posting what I found, which seems to be some of the mentioned issues they are looking at with this report.

Orijen is quite similar, probably due to the corporate parent.

whole red lentils, whole pinto beans, whole green peas,hole green lentils, whole navy beans, whole chickpeas, lentil fiber,

I'm not sure how you'd make a dry food without some kind of filler/binder to make the product work..

Orijen, TOTW, Blue, et all are still listed as 5 star rated foods at Dog advisor.

Posts: 23592 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I was chatting with my aunt who is a vet about this just the other day. Apparently this whole "dogs should only eat grass fed unicorns that roamed in high mountain meadows" business is causing heart trouble. Basically, it was explained to me that over the past 15 millennia dogs have adapted to eat what we eat.

Wisdom within wry wit.

quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
My breeder told me last year not to feed legumes. I feed only meat, either raw or cooked.
<--- You don't mean that literally. You don't.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15911 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Acana is high protein & very low carbs. It is known that the FDA is in bed with the big players in the Pet Food industry such as Mars who promote their high carb food with imported ingredients from China. After purchasing Blue Buffalo, Mars moved production to their existing facilities as soon as they had capacity. Mars corporate offices are in Franklin (suburban Nashville) so the horse's mouth is close by. My Beagle daily gets 1 cup of Acana Appalachian Ranch mixed with 1/2 cup of; boiled chicken breast ($2 lb at Walmart), microwaved sweet potato, steamed green beans, & fresh chopped Italian Parsley (helps with doggie breath).

General Mills bought Blue Buffalo.

Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i feed my dog Nutro Max Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
growing up in the 70s my irish setter ate gravy train and lived to 16 being the kid i had to clean up the shit and it was much nastier than it is now

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Here is my read. The FDA’s report named names today but all they said was that the investigation is ongoing. No determinations have been made.

If you have concerns about what you are feeding consult your Vet.

We feed our happy 10 year old labs Acana and we aren’t changing. We want to see the final results of the investigation before we do anything.

This is the advice we are giving to our customers. There are plenty of great foods available if you want to make a change now.