SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for cutting drywall open?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for cutting drywall open? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
I need to open up a fair bit of drywall for a remodeling project.

What would you consider the optimal power tool for this, and why?

Rotary Cutter (like a Rotozip)
Reciprocating Saw (like a Sawzall)
Compact Circular Saw (4.5" type)
Oscillating Tool

Or should I just do it old school with a prybar and demo hammer?

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Sawsall is easiest. You can hug right up next to framing with it, but if you are cutting back and want to lap new rock up against it, the circular saw is the best for cutting centerline of framing, but your going to go through a few blades hitting screws. Was not as bad hitting nails, but them screws are tough.

For speed and large areas, that hammer and bar can't be beat.

Circular saw is fine for small and precise cuts, and a 7 1/4 saw is a bugger to do much before your arms start wiggling.

Rotozip is almost worthless for anything other than cutting out boxes, or the fine detail cuts for similar items.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I use an oscillating tool.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I need to open up a fair bit of drywall for a remodeling project.
Kinda comes down to what a "fair bit" is.

Rotozips are great for small intrusions, but soon become awkward for more than about a 4" cut. You didn't mention a jigsaw, but they don't do as much damage/make as much mess as their big brother the sawzall, and much easier to change directions while in the work. If you have to cut nails (e.g. between the back of the wall board and the studs, the sawzall will be your best buddy. I wouldn't think of using a circular saw, but with the right blade, it might be a decent option for up to single-sheet cut out sizes. The oscillating multitool is advertised as having this capability, but seems like it would be difficult to keep a straight line on a long cut.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Oscillating tool ++

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Oscillating tool. Easier to keep it shallow. The blades about 1 1/2” wide go in about the perfect depth when held at a 45 degree angle.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use any power tool, as they all create drywall dust.
It's a big mess when cleaning up.

I recently had to open up a section of wall (drywall) for access to shower plumbing. (I needed a 4 foot by 1 foot opening in the wall)
I drew on the drywall with a carpenters pencil where I wanted to cut, then using a straight edge scored the outer surface with a utility knife, then made progressively deeper cuts with the utility knife.
Several "taps" with a hammer and the piece of drywall came right out.

I did my plumbing repairs, and when I was satisfied they were successful, I went to Lowe's and bought a nice mirror in a frame that was large enough to cover the hole in the wall.

For a teenage female's bathroom, another mirror is a good thing!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Oscillating tool hands down for me ... whether opening up a wall or splitting a sheet longways.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
If you want a clean edge and you are cutting beyond multiple studs the Dremel saw max is my tool of choice. Easier to use then a circular saw and gives a better edge.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'll use the straight claw on a 20 ounce Estwing. You punch it into the wall along the line, then yank the perforated piece out. Trim / square it up later with a blade. (Watch you do not cut yer fingers).

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I had a $3,000 dollar plumbing repair this week.

The plumber used a hand held saw with a tapered point blade that he used to cut out the drywall. Jab Saw name? He was so good and his cut so well done that my general contractor handyman guy was able to reuse the same cut out pieces of drywall and thus make that a quick and easy repair, after the plumbing was fixed.

He made virtually no dust at all, just a little.

I've had handymen take hammers and bash in the drywall and make a huge mess, and then it's a lot more work to go back with new drywall.

The hand drywall saw he used was quick and easy, I don't know why he would use anything else.

Good luck to you, best wishes on your project.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I took down a wall at the house that was put up by the prior owner.

Originally went at it with a utility knife, that was horrible.
Tried a hand saw & made decent progress, but it was dull to begin with
Finished it off with an oscillating tool & it made short, but quite noisy, work of it. Fair bit of dust, as mentioned above.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used a hand drywall saw at my kids and here to replace the exterior faucets. Cut an 8”x8” squares. Was able to use the same piece when I closed them up.

In my old house the builder forgot to insulate the interior walls of the MBR(think quiet when sleeping) he showed up, popped two chalk lines about six inches from the ceiling line three inches apart, cut the line with a oscillating tool and removed the strip of drywall. Filled the walls with blown in insulation and closed it all up. Took four days of coming back and sanding smooth but you’d never know it was cut. We’re taking about 10’ & 15’ of linear drywall.

He knew he was gonna make a mess and put plastic down in the entire room. Vacuumed each day and replaced the plastic in the morning as we were already living in the home.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My go-to guy was here yesterday doing some work for us and used a jab saw with great results.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you value either your health or your marriage you will not use a circular saw. (dust everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE).

Also keep in mind that if you are taking it out to where the cut is near an existing joint, wall corner, ceiling corner etc, just go ahead and rip the whole piece out. For a novice, it is much easier to make a good corner joint than to feather a good mid sheet joint. Especially if your existing wall has a texture finish on it.

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chainsaw

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Chainsaw

Only one chainsaw?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
A normal drywall saw will do the job however if your doing a large area your arms will hate you by the time your done. An oscillating saw works well and can be kept extremely tidy by using a shop vac right next to the blade.

A reciprocating saw will make quick work of the project but can make a mess. Like the oscillating a shop vac could be used if you have another person available to run the vac.

Under no circumstances would I recommend using a circular saw. You will make an absolute mess not only in your house but you will walk out completely covered in the crap.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Handsaw like PASig posted, Bosch Jigsaw, Milwaukee Sawzall, Rigid battery reciprocating saw. I like the hand saw and jigsaw best.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post