SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forging Project
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forging Project Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
Nice and cool morning so I decided to light the forge & see if I could make progress on an idea I had.
I wanted to make some bottle openers shaped like the Folger-Adams Brass prison / jailers keys .
I've spent the last 22yrs as a prison guard at the state penitentiary.
I figured these would make interesting retirement & X-Mas gifts if I can get them the way I want them.

Day ones progress.....

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Propane-fired forge?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no place for a coal forge in my shop as it's primarily a woodworking shop.
I dipped my toe into the blacksmithing so I could add some interesting hand forged pieces to the wood carvings & furniture I make.
Nice to be able to light it off when I need it & shut it off & leave when I'm done.
It's limiting compared to coal but I'm only working with small items.
I leave the sword / knife play to others.
Bottle openers, drawer pulls, gate handles, simple hinges & curtain hold backs are as far as I've gone .

I visit the Sugarcreek Forge & spend time with Uncle Jesse when we're out there.
So much to learn. Might be why I'm so interested in it.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Ah, that damn anvil again. I really want it. Don't...click...on...ebay...

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Speaking of EBay, I cut out a tool holder for my anvil stand after seeing one in Flea-Bay.
I also bought a through the wall exhaust fan to vent the heat & pull in clean air.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
^^

^^^^

HA , Okay that was a good one!!

I actually refrained from using one from our Key watcher system.
But I could see how a person could make a fully functional key giving time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I actually refrained from using one from our Key watcher system.

Yes, I'd cheat. But making it from scratch is what you set out to do. <applause> I tried several times to make bottle openers with old .45ACP 1911 barrels, but could never get the right indentation
right.

What size is the firebrick standing upright on edge across the opening of your furnace?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
It's a 9"x4.5" half brick.
I use a full brick on the back.
It was designed as a full pass thru Forge to accommodate longer & odd shaped items.
Brick , metal, Burner & LP with regulator was $200.
Pretty cheap.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Only had an hour to devote to it today but it's coming along.
I'll keep this as something to refer back to & take measurements off of for the next ones I make.
But I have three already spoken for by a couple co-workers.
They've given me steel when I was getting started .

Day 2

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That's impressive.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Awesome. This past Friday spent 3 hours at a local blacksmith guild shop learning some basics and forging a bottle opener. Learned a ton and really enjoyed it, but forging is a lot more work than I ever expected. It takes real skill to do it right and I’ll likely keep trying. Lots of time too to do it right.

What you’ve done here is impressive and well executed.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You have only 90 minutes left to finish your key and round 1 will be over!

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I can almost do magic with with piece of wood on the lathe but not even close to lighting a forge to do something like that.

Majorly impressive....

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The skill sets of people on this forum is truly amazing.

Posts: 634 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
With the scattered showers we're having I got to spend some more time with the forge today.
Starting on a couple more of the prison key bottle openers.
Only spent an hour & :15min working but they move quick enough.
Each of these 11" blanks will make two bottle openers.
I'm going to open each end up before separating them. You can see how far back the heat moves down the steel.
So it's nice to have some "handle" to work with.

** you can see the "breath of the dragon" as they call it. The blue flame licking out the opening.

I know it's sacrilege for a Harley guy to say this but I'm not dreading winters approach as I usually do .
I think I'll have some projects to keep my mind off the snow.

I'm still not finished with my first attempt but it'll serve as an example to get measurements off of.

Still don't know how to post videos so I posted it to YouTube
https://youtu.be/oS86N0N5Vts

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Nice work. I really enjoy these threads.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I really enjoy these threads.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Love seeing what others are up to.

Cooling down.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

A very nice anvil stand you have there. When I had my anvil, it was on a massive wooden stand. I wrapped a 2" wide strip of gray leather around it, fastened at the corners and also fastened in between at various spots to make pockets for the various tools. Yours is a bit more elaborate and nicer. Also, some nice tongs you have there. Smile

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post