SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cataract Surgery, Anything you wish you knew beforehand?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cataract Surgery, Anything you wish you knew beforehand? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Vtail nailed it with his post.

I would add that toric (astigmatism) lenses are only needed if the astigmatic error is corneal. The astigmatic error due to the cataract itself disappears with the cataract.

Laser surgical sets can make a mediocre surgeon better, but are very expensive and don't improve a skilled surgeons' results.

Bifocal IOLs cause halos around bright lights and are set for a 14" near point with no intermediate distance at all. Of particular importance in this forum, the front sight of pistols is smack in the middle of the optical "dead zone". I'm not impressed with their optical performance.

If you have corneal astigmatism and opt for a bifocal implant you will need LASIK to correct the astigmatic error post cataract surgery, lengthening your recovery period during which you will not be able to see well.

The best way to find a good cataract surgeon is by the recommendation of the doc you're currently seeing. Like Santa, we know who's naughty and nice Wink There is something about literally putting their work under a microscope and seeing how neat they are.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you have astigmatism, pay extra for the lens that would correct that.

I still don't know if I would go for the multi-distance lens (reading/everything else). The idea is good.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Had cataract surgery on both eyes (2 weeks apart), 15 years ago. Received Bausch and Lomb lens implants. You don't really REALLY realize how precious sight is until you have dim tunnel vision from cataracts and then everything becomes clear again after surgery.

I was offered the option of having one implant for distant vision and the other for close up stuff. Said the brain would learn to compensate as needed or situation required. I opted to have distant in both. I use regular drug store readers for computer stuff and reading. At all other times, I don't wear glasses at all.

I do have a slight astigmatism in both eyes. Doc said that could be fixed with laser surgery if it ever became a problem or I just wanted it done. I've lived with it and it hasn't been a problem.

I've heard of rare cases where cataract surgery went wrong and some cases where eyes became sensitive to light and driving at night was difficult, but for me, I haven't experienced anything but the simple joys of good eyesight again. To me, it was a miracle. Bless the good doctor and his crew who performed the procedure.

OH, and it was done by a military doctor while I was on active duty and there was no charge. At the time, 15 years ago, it would have cost about $11-12K "out in town".

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Added note: Anyone needing this procedure, if you are within striking distance of either Daytona or Lake Mary FL (just a bit northeast of Orlando), I would strongly recommend that you at least have a consult at Filutowski Eye Clinic -- they have locations at both of those cities.

Dr. Filutowski's skill is only exceeded by his ego. Wink He has a large support staff, and they specialize in cataract, LASIK, and related procedures.

My relationship with this clinic is strictly as a satisfied patient.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys. It is taking the anxiety away. I experienced partial blindness once before and I am certain that of all the senses, it is the one I could not live without. I feel like it's the right choice, and that the distance with some reading glasses is most likely the choice I'll make as well.

It will be nice to drive confidently and look down on some pool balls and see crisp lines again.

quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
What was the reason for the prior vitrectomy? 6 months after Cataract surgery, I lost the retina and macula from the dominant eye over a weekend.
Eye Doc said on Saturday that it was probably vitreous - come in Monday. Was blind Monday.
I paid 4 grand extra out of pocket for the laser. My new eye Doc questions what I received for that 4 grand and I cannot explain it to him.
I was extremely high risk and I wished one of the Doc's had mentioned that. All minimized the risk.
You may have to have YAG as a follow up. Vitrectomy may make the procedure more difficult(from what I have read)
Best of luck, you will probably do well

I have diabetic retinopathy from years of uncontrolled diabetes. They had to laser the back of my eye to remove veins that push their way to the surface of the inner eye in search of oxygen. The inner eye is supposed to be smooth, so with veins making ridges it distorts vision, let alone when they actually open causing bleeding within the eye. Then it's like looking through a mud stained glass window.

The doctor said that all the laser from the vitroectomy was actually beneficial, as one of the hazards of cataract is retina detachment, but that mine was anchored and secured from the previous surgeries. They were pretty extensive.

He did mention that it would be a little inconvenient for him as there is no vitriol in my eyes so he would have to be cognizant as there wouldn't be any pressure in the eye pushing back against the new lens when he inserts it. But not to worry he's done the same for many people in my condition. I believe him as my retinopothist is the one who referred me to him.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4790 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had LASIK. Went from 20/400 to 20/20. That was my good eye.
A couple of years ago I started having issues with close work. My doctor said cataracts and both eyes. I argued that it was only one eye. He replied that I’d see the difference.
Because of the LASIK surgery I had to have laser done. Medicare didn’t cover that.
The procedure was assembly line. Sit in lounge chair, get vitals. Move to gurney positioned to sit, gurney moves and you lay flat. Into surgery, out of surgery. Move to another lounge chair. Go home. My surgeon and I have known each other for a couple of years so I trust him.
Next day, I went and bought new sunglasses. I wasn’t expecting colors to be so vivid and the sun so bright.
About the other eye. I thought it was OK but I was wrong. Best I can discribe is an old yellow headlight compared to a new LED one.
Long term effects. My eyes are a bit dry and I may need some laser “tune up” as tissue can grown over the lense.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
PLEASE ask them to provide you with detailed instructions on how to avoid Dry Eye Syndrome after the surgery. IMO, this is a very big deal as I watch my wife - literally - putting drops in her eyes hour after hour.

I realize this does not happen to everyone.

I passed on Lasik after seeing what she goes through. Don't want to take the chance. Contacts are fine.

Yes, I realize contacts or glasses are not a solution for you, just do EVERYTHING possible to avoid having the dry eye issue after the procedure.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Nickelsig229, I'll first admit that I hadn't read most of the posts until I got to yours discussing diabetic retinopathy. Then I became more interested.
I've had Type 1 Diabetes for 33+ years. My dad lived with Type 1 for about 61 years. My dad was lucky, because he'd didn't have many complications until his last 12-15 years or so. His heart issue was the final problem, but that was partly from the fact he liked to smoke (for many, many years).
My dad had two detached retina surgeries (for the same eye). He finally became blind in that eye. When he was older, his eye doctor discovered a cyst behind his "good" eye. But he couldn't recommend surgery, as my dad was already blind in the other eye.

I'll be 58 in January, 2019, and I've already had cataract surgery on both eyes. But I had it done three years apart. I have an excellent Ophthalmologist who I've gone to for over 20 years. I'm very fortunate, because I've known my Ophthalmologist for about 50 years. Among other things, he was the Valedictorian of my high school class (a highly ranked all boys college prep school). He graduated from Princeton, Medical degree from Vanderbilt Med School,
Chief Resident while training at University of Wisconsin, Madison, yadda yadda. Trust me, you'd hate him if he wasn't such a nice guy (did I mention he won two NCAA championships in rowing at Princeton?). By far the smartest guy I know (and my dad was pretty smart-Phi Beta Kappa at Vanderbilt in '56).

Anyway, after my long winded post, my cataract surgeries went off without a hitch. About 10 minutes for each laser procedure, and my right eye (done first) is 20-15, while my left eye is "only" 20-20. Erich apologized that he didn't guess the left lens as as accurately as the right...Ummm, I'm not complaining. Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I mispoke. Yag surgery complicates further vitreous and retina work. I need my vitreous done but but high risk.
My Eye Doc was a surgeon prior to retiring and opening his own shop. But he was pushing 80 and I think his judgement may have been spotty.

You most likely will have good results- most do. It is painless and recovery is short
I have the dry eye too and one eyelid that is droopy

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a PSA
If you are getting older, schedule an appointment with a retina guy. If the worst happens, you will have an "in" with the surgery center. Don't go to the ER, go to the Eye specialty center.

posted Hide Post
They tried to steer me to monovision. I opted for distance in both eyes. There is a ton of lenses out there that they can implant. I trusted the assembly line Doc. Mine tries to set new personal bests with the number of patients done in an hour

Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I had cataract surgery in left eye and then macula degeneration. Vision in left eye 200.
Hope you have better outcome.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Are you guys aware of the implant after the surgery? Is it like wearing contacts? Does it feel like you have a spec of dirt in your eye or nothing at all?

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for their input, this has been helpful for me as well.
I'm only 52 and the cataract in my left eye is already needing to be removed. I'm very nearsighted and have pigmentary dispersion glaucoma, so may have to have some additional work done at the same time.

Posts: 441 | Location: Wichita, KS USA | Registered: April 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PD:
Are you guys aware of the implant after the surgery? Is it like wearing contacts? Does it feel like you have a spec of dirt in your eye or nothing at all?
Feels like nothing at all after implant.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Nope. I do not notice a thing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope. I do not notice a thing.

^^^ +1

This is true, except that your vision will almost always be much improved, often better than it has ever been, as it certain is in my case.

For precision shooters with iron sights, there will be a difference.
You will remember the admonishment to focus on the front sight and let the target go slightly out of focus. This will no longer be possible with implants (except for some special and expensive ones which few surgeons use or recommend).
The regular implants are fixed focus much like a non-zoom camera lens. So the front sight and target both will be in focus making it more difficult to concentrate on the sight, assuming you selected a implant lens corrected for distant vision.
So it is customary to add a slight close vision correction to your shooting glasses (mine is +.75) which will sharpen the front sight while putting the target in a slightly fuzzy zone.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

TRIED to notice something anything ... nothing. I do however know that thousands of years from now, tiny very thin circular transparent sheets of plastic will mark the spot of my demise.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At night - one eye shows a halo around a light and the other a starburst. Physically, you will never know it is there. Just like glasses only implanted. Sometime I can see reflections in the dark

Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I had both eyes done in '04 (one at a time) and between the Dr. and his nurses, who were very knowledgeable, I knew exactly what to expect.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post