SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help with a specific type of TV streaming service for elderly relative.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with a specific type of TV streaming service for elderly relative. Login/Join 
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted
I know nothing about streaming services.
I've been reading about them and I'm only more confused.

The situation;
We put my FIL into assisted living Sunday, he isn't happy about it, but I'm hoping he will adapt.
Nice place, he literally has his own apartment, locking doors, all his own furniture.

At his home he had DIRECTV.
Out of 200+ channels, he only watched channels that had anything to do with hunting, the outdoors, stock car racing, car rebuilding shows, etc..

The facility he is in has crappy hospital/hotel cable of 48 channels that I know he won't care for as well as a terrible signal (picture and audio).
His apartment is on the northeast corner and the building pretty much blocks the signal for DIRECTV.
Patios on the west and south sides do have some dishes on them.

The place seems to have pretty decent WIFI.
So my question is, what type of streaming service should I look into?

I need something VERY simple.
We just got him a Jitterbug phone and that is a challenge for him.

He is a simple man, had broadcast TV his entire life, he has had Directv the last 2 years.
But when he uses Directv, we made a list (on paper) of channels he watches and he inputs the numbers directly into the remote.
He doesn't understand looking a the guide and seeing all the channels/shows he has no interest in.

We need something I can program a remote to only have the channels he needs as well as some local channels.
I have a Firestick, something like that would be confusing to him.
He doesn't understand a TV having different TV inputs (antenna, HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.)
I need the simplest of simple streaming service option that I can program a remote, or either have him input the numbers like he did before, or be able to scroll thru specific channels with a remote.

No way would he be able to use a remote like my Firestick and just say what he wants to watch.

Any input would be appreciated...
Thank you in advance..

Posts: 4369 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have youtube tv and it's $55 a month and has all of the channels he's looking for, hunting, etc. etc...….can be watched on a tv or tablet etc. But for his purpose and since he's used to direct tv, there is direct tv NOW, which is direct tv's streaming service.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to look into at&t new streaming with a cable like box. Pricey (Requires contract) but operates like cable box, remote, channel numbers, etc. you’ll have to check that his favorite channels are offered but it may be a solution.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
You might want to look into at&t new streaming with a cable like box. Pricey (Requires contract) but operates like cable box, remote, channel numbers, etc. you’ll have to check that his favorite channels are offered but it may be a solution.

The house I managed has had that for a few years now. It does indeed work exactly like direct tv and one remote controls everything.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Netflix on Ipad. Can download some content so he doesn't have to be connected all the time. Easy to use. Dont need to worry about navigating tv service. portable.

my grandmother, 94 yrs old is in the same situation.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Gentlemen..
I will look into the at&t streaming.
Perhaps I can add it to his existing AT&T Directv contract ( it has 12 months left on the contract), or I can add it to mine..

I appreciate your input.

Posts: 4369 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post