SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Without a TNVC 4th sale, where do I go now?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Without a TNVC 4th sale, where do I go now? Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
My IDF friend says the enemy uses cell phones and old handi-cams with nite shot to detect ir emitters on NV.

He REALLY likes my thermal setups.

Mars, my cousin reported his thermal hand held unit showed a lot of residual heat in vegetation. This could be due to Florida heat and time of use but have you ever experienced anything like that?

I'd imagine later in the night this would not even be a concern.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
My IDF friend says the enemy uses cell phones and old handi-cams with nite shot to detect ir emitters on NV.

He REALLY likes my thermal setups.

Mars, my cousin reported his thermal hand held unit showed a lot of residual heat in vegetation. This could be due to Florida heat and time of use but have you ever experienced anything like that?

I'd imagine later in the night this would not even be a concern.

It works amazing in cold. Hot, humid environment will have the trees glowing in the distance, but wildlife contrasts really well.

You do have to N.U.K.E. it when the environment changes. It's just a matter of putting your hand over the sensor and pressing the button. It takes a sample of a known and rebuilds the tables. Takes about 2 seconds.

Here is an example of the worst conditions vs the ideal.

Terrible heat and humidity with no NUKE correction

Ideal conditions

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here is the absolute worst I have encountered with it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got back. The WP were fantastic. I did take a look through a thermal WP and it was like 3D.

The MWAL is where it is at. The IR on it goes way out and it is like daylight. I would get the MWAL.

Posts: 1745 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://www.nightgoggles.com/s...14-xls-elbit-g3tfwp/

This is what TNVC had last year for their 4th sale, NightGoggles is their sister company. I got a pretty nice tube for the price. I got two Perst-3 units from Ivanthebear. Couldn’t stomach what a gimped civ laser costs. I’d recommend both purchases.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I am by no means an expert on night vision. Having said that, my thoughts are that it is probably worth the extra to buy new just so that you know that they have been and will be properly cared for. As for WP, if I was going to spend $3k for Gen3 without WP or $5k for The same but with WP, I would spend the extra all day, every time. My purposes are likely different than what you would use them for but after using both during some EOD exercises, the difference is astounding. If I ever had to go through a worst case booby trap, low light scenario, like I went through with WP and non WP in training, I would be very hesitant to go through without the WP. Granted, most of what I’ve used NV for is for checking in small, enclosed areas and night camera mode on the newest smart phones worked perfectly fine. However for me personally, if I was spending the money to upgrade my kit out of my own pocket, then I would go WP without question.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the thermal vs. NVG discussion, I think NVG wins every time, as long as the thermal is not head-mounted. This obviously depends on your intended use for your seeing-in-the-dark equipment. If you don't need to see in the dark without projecting a visible light while moving to a dedicated perch in a hunting scenario, then go for the thermal. The awareness advantage of being able to observe your surroundings without having to look through your weapon's sight is undisputable. Head-mounted thermal is available but often cost-prohibitive and potentially difficult to source, depending on what you want.

I have been using a PVS14, Steiner OTAL-IR, and Surefire Vampire for a couple years now. The MAWL is obviously a superior laser aiming unit, but it's quite spendy. I have equipped three weapons as previously described, and augmented with a TNVC torch for less than the cost of a MAWL. The two-cell Vampires allow good target identification out to 150M, and can punch into a darkened structure with light pollution present out to about 75M. The torch extends your range to probably 200M, and can be used handheld or weapon-mounted, depending on the circumstances.

I'd love to have a MAWL or get my hands on an unrestricted laser unit but, considering the cheese required, I feel my money is better spent equipping multiple guns for now, and accepting the conditions of my limited visibility range.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am aware that I can only use one gun at a time, and the argument of having spent that money on a MAWL instead is valid. However, the time it would have taken me to set aside that amount of money would have meant I'd be at least a year behind in my actual practice with the equipment, which is substantial. Also, I intend to eventually get another PVS14, to both serve as a redundant unit for me and/or a loaner unit for someone else.

I have looked through current-issue dual-tube white phosphorous PVS31 "goggles". They are awesome. But the same logic applies. I think multiple more affordable units is potentially better. Our front-line troops have been using PVS14s with much success; what's good enough for them is good enough for me. For now.

Can a lesser equipped force use cell phone cameras and camcorders to detect your IR signature? Yes. Can a peer force see your IR signature with their NVGs? Yes. The lesser force is still getting stomped, and certainly wishes they had NVG instead of camcorders. The peer force is exactly that: your peer. You hope to defeat them with tactics, wit, and your own soldierly prowess, not your technology.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
In the thermal vs. NVG discussion, I think NVG wins every time, as long as the thermal is not head-mounted. This obviously depends on your intended use for your seeing-in-the-dark equipment. If you don't need to see in the dark without projecting a visible light while moving to a dedicated perch in a hunting scenario, then go for the thermal. The awareness advantage of being able to observe your surroundings without having to look through your weapon's sight is undisputable. Head-mounted thermal is available but often cost-prohibitive and potentially difficult to source, depending on what you want.

I have been using a PVS14, Steiner OTAL-IR, and Surefire Vampire for a couple years now. The MAWL is obviously a superior laser aiming unit, but it's quite spendy. I have equipped three weapons as previously described, and augmented with a TNVC torch for less than the cost of a MAWL. The two-cell Vampires allow good target identification out to 150M, and can punch into a darkened structure with light pollution present out to about 75M. The torch extends your range to probably 200M, and can be used handheld or weapon-mounted, depending on the circumstances.

I'd love to have a MAWL or get my hands on an unrestricted laser unit but, considering the cheese required, I feel my money is better spent equipping multiple guns for now, and accepting the conditions of my limited visibility range.

This is my number one reason for not going thermal. At least not to start. For my uses it will most definitely mean pointing my weapon at something that I should not be pointing it at.

Maybe later it will be nice to add a thermal scope.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Euro optic has coti clip ons for a pretty low price.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The COTI is a lot to hang off your head, in my opinion. I have fiddled with a PSQ20 as well. The PSQ20 is smaller than the COTI setup, but still a lot to have on your helmet. More up front, and more in the back, which is actually preferred to the COTI, because you get some balance. But, the NVG game for regular folks is always going to be one of compromises.