SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    End of an era... no more Toys R US
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

End of an era... no more Toys R US Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Never set foot in one.
Last time I was in a toy store you could buy BB guns and air rifles that shot real projectiles. The things NJ and California would probably give you life for now.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I didn't see this posted. Toys R Us is closing all of its stores. Sad to see, the mecca of my childhood, all those toys, gone. There was nothing more exciting than a trip to Toys R Us and getting something shiny and new.

That's a bummer. I too have fond memories of my childhood visiting Toys R Us.

There were no Toys R Us when I was a kid. We had to make do with Kresge's and Woolworth's.

flashguy

What if someone told you to stay out of the Woolworths?

I don't know, Everett. Is that all of them or just the one?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Desired to be a big proponent and financial supporter of Planned Parenthood. Imagine funding an organization that kills your future customers. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I saw one of the members posted about Harts. I haven't heard anyone mention that chain in double digit years.

When Toys R US came around I was too old, the same with kaybeee Toy Store.

Growing up we went to Kmart, Gold Circle, Woolworth, and Woolco's.

I cannot remember if it was Woolco or Woolworths that was in Westland Mall in Cols, OH. I remember going there with my grandfather and they had racks and racks of M1, M1 Carbines, and Mausers just lined up in racks that you could pick up and fondle. No security tags, nothing behind the counter etc..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I have never been a big fan of Toys R Us, but what is going to hit us hard is Babies R Us going out with them. They had far superior selection and prices than the other baby store around here. Gonna make things interesting for a while. I guess more internet shopping is in the future.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
apparently the Harlem stores are still operating under the name 'We Be Toyz 'n Shit'

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
I have never been a big fan of Toys R Us, but what is going to hit us hard is Babies R Us going out with them. They had far superior selection and prices than the other baby store around here. Gonna make things interesting for a while. I guess more internet shopping is in the future.

Selection, yes.

Prices? We found them horrifically overpriced for just about everything.

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
The ones around here were among the first stores to post when Wisconsin first got Concealed-Carry.

We quit going there. They went bust.

Bye.

Same in Texas, screw ‘em.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's sad that there are virtually no toy stores anymore. When I was a kid in the seventies they were everywhere. Who wants Wal Mart, Target and the like to be the only place a kid can go to see toys. There's a site called Plaid Stallion that's dedicated to toys from the past. There are some cool photos of old toy stores there.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of them until the mid '80s. Growing up, it was the dime store, Sears or Western Auto for toys until a J.C. Penney's opened up in the county seat. Oh, those Wish Books! Smile

Always imagined them to be what Santa Claus would have built as a showroom for the little ones.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who wants Wal Mart, Target and the like to be the only place a kid can go to see toys.

Don't worry. Before too much longer you'll only be able to see them on a computer monitor.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember Lionel Playworld when I was younger. I am not sure if Toy r Us bought them over or they just failed as well. I remember the stores seemed huge and magical.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I remember Lionel Playworld when I was younger. I am not sure if Toy r Us bought them over or they just failed as well. I remember the stores seemed huge and magical.

In the Philly region they were called Kiddie City and still have memories of that place. They had a whole aisle of nothing but toy guns as I recall!

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:

Selection, yes.

Prices? We found them horrifically overpriced for just about everything.

Our other local option is BuyBuyBaby which is even more expensive (if you can believe that). We just hit up the Babies R Us and got some thing at discount prices.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:

I remember that place too! If I recall correctly, the one near us had sample toys out for a lot of things. I loved going there as a kid.

- Robert Heinlein

Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
The store is cool for a kid to walk through but their prices were not as good as Walmart and I’d rather just order toys from Amazon and never set foot into a store. You would think their prices would have gotten more competitive but they never did so this news is no surprise.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've heard this before, haven't we? Fred Meyer, etc, etc.

It may yet be saved. After all, if the place goes under what happens to all the debt that's been laid on the company?

Brick and mortar needs to get their act together. Some of these places are stupid beyond belief - it goes WAY beyond internet competition.

For example; I went into a local SEARS to buy a plain jane fan. There was all kinds of weird gadgets on the shelves but not one example of the simple device we all know.

Maybe someone will step in who can think in a straight line. It's a rare trait these days. Amazon isn't some kind of monster, they just do the simple things right.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I remember Woolworth's and Woolco

haven't heard that name in years

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d rather just order toys from Amazon and never set foot into a store. You would think their prices would have gotten more competitive but they never did so this news is no surprise.

How can a business be "more competitive" when the "business expenses" of a brick and mortar exceed that of a simple website.

What do you think the rent payment is on a 30,000 sf Toys R Us store?

quote:
Maybe someone will step in who can think in a straight line. It's a rare trait these days. Amazon isn't some kind of monster, they just do the simple things right.

There are many factors at play, and those of us who own businesses "see" things that those who don't own businesses never think of.

Amazon is a monster, but they aren't the only one.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Last stores are closing on Friday.

https://abcnews.go.com/Busines...sing-stores-56228912

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post