SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Instant justice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instant justice Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
"Two would-be thieves were found dead Friday inside a Detroit public lighting facility after they were electrocuted by 24,000 volts.

Officials said the pair was found at a substation of the Detroit Public Lighting Department on the city's east side around 6.50am on Friday.

The thieves were attempting to steal copper wire when one of the men came in contact with a 24,000-volt transformer and transferred the current along to the other, reported WDIV.

Police said the bodies were badly burned and that the current was so strong that they bodies were fused together…"

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...ghting-facility.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Classic DRT.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
As an electrician we love these stories I have seen some pretty horrific pics of thieves getting fried-ified. Kind of sick pleasure of mine seeing people get what they deserve for stealing copper.

Hopefully they are fused together everywhere they go in hell.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
If they were my kids they’d be grounded...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Damn occupational hazards.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Ok, so what uses 24K volts? Is this going to a step down transformer for something.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I bet the cleanup didn't smell good.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Definitely not their original recipe.....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The last thing to go through their minds? 24,000 volts...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

I bet when they were shocked and said Ohm my God.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Ok, so what uses 24K volts? Is this going to a step down transformer for something.

Yes
This was a utility substation, and they normally bring a higher voltage in and step it down to a voltage the is usable for further distribution

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
#1's last words to #2, "It hertz so bad, Watt do I do?"

Plug in your most re-volt-ing puns here...

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

Higher voltage transmits over longer distances with less losses, and is then stepped down for end user needs.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
"The men have not been identified but they are two black males appearing to be in their 20s or 30s"

I thought reporting the race of criminals was racist. Oh, wait - maybe they mean they don't know what they were before but are black now.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
They have only been identified by their first names, Sparky and Buzz.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Well, that was their problem, they were grounded.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But if I booby-trap my house, suddenly I'm the bad guy?

And, no pictures of the boobies.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This happens a few times a year in Detroit. People trying to steal copper and the net result is a pile of ash in a pair of melted Adidas. Normally it's a 440 line that they accidentally short across. This one was worth special mention given the magnitude of their demise, simply shocking.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's one way of staying current and up to date.

I bet they were all amped up.

In hindsight, they wished they just stayed ohm.

These things come in cycles.

They must not have put up much resistance.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
"The men have not been identified but they are two black males appearing to be in their 20s or 30s"

I thought reporting the race of criminals was racist. Oh, wait - maybe they mean they don't know what they were before but are black now.

Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post