SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Preventing foggy glasses with a mask on?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preventing foggy glasses with a mask on? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

This coming weekend I will be attending a formal event in a tux and we are required to wear a mask. I wear glasses, so fog is an issue. In the past I have worn a very thin bandana type of mask around town that allows lots of air flow and that is what has worked best. But since this is a formal affair, I'd prefer to wear something different.

What solutions have people used to help prevent glasses from fogging. I've heard using 2-sided tape on the bridge of your nose can help seal the mask better. I've also read there are some anti-fog wipes that you can use on glasses.

What has worked for you? Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put the mask farther up on my nose & glasses lower on nose so the hot air doesn't reach my glasses. PITA but best solution I've found.

Posts: 548 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've worked in the OR for many years. Tried all sorts of anti-fog products. None ever worked to my satisfaction. Very , very mild double stick tape across the bridge of the nose is the only thing that worked for me. Luckily the hospital stocked a mask the had a very mild adhesive across the nose piece . I retired just before this Covid mess , so I have no idea if this product is still available.

PS: I agree with Woods62. That helps , too. Especially , if you're not talking too much.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I use OptiPus antifogging eyeglass wipes, they work well. I'm sure other brands work just as well.

Posts: 13718 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I use OptiPus antifogging eyeglass wipes, they work well. I'm sure other brands work just as well.

Any concerns with these wipes eating away at the coatings applied to Rx lenses?

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Very , very mild double stick tape across the bridge of the nose is the only thing that worked for me. Luckily the hospital stocked a mask the had a very mild adhesive across the nose piece .

Thanks. Any idea on specific brand of tape?

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
Something I do that seems to help a lot is bending the bendable strip along the top of the mask to fit over the nose bridge better. And then about a half inch from that bend on each side of the v shaped bend, bend it the opposite direction so you end up with kind of a W shape along the top of the mask. This helps it fit along the top of the nose, side of the nose and along the top of the face/cheeks much better.

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
scuba divers spit on there mask before they put them on, I haven't tried it but who knows?

Posts: 5678 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Saw this on Facebook so take it with a grain of salt, but they said if you place a band-aid over the upper nose area and seal it to your skin that it will keep the moist air from exiting near your glasses.

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I put a twist in the band going around each ear so it goes from the top connection point on the mask, under the ear and From the top of the ear to the lower connection point in the mask....it makes an “x” in front of your ears.....I have no idea why but it seems to help with fogging

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
scuba divers spit on there mask before they put them on, I haven't tried it but who knows?

Some do...but anyone with some experience brings a small spray bottle of very diluted Dawn and water.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I take all of my masks and cut a slit in them. Let me exhale out not up. Hate this damn mask crap.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
I put a twist in the band going around each ear so it goes from the top connection point on the mask, under the ear and From the top of the ear to the lower connection point in the mask....it makes an “x” in front of your ears.....I have no idea why but it seems to help with fogging

My solution is similar. I tie a knot in the loop to shorten it's length, pulling the mask tighter on the face. Then fit the bend strip to the nose

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 881 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Maybe try some Scope Dope or Cat Crap anti fog?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...A2RNBXAVQ4OOHG&psc=1

Posts: 7451 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I found the solution. Hypo-allergenic double-sided tape. It works extremely well. I found it at Target. I'm willing to put with the tape for 6 hours. It's for a good cause. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/EtGDnX1P7mI

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11109 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bad advice. I tried that. It doesn't work. I did spit in my mask. All it did, was make my mask soggy, and my glasses still fogged up.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31452 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
If you want to stick with the bandana, you'd flip one edge over and sew a 0.25" or less seam. And use a piece of 18 gauge wire in the fold. Shaped to your nose and cheeks.

A local nurse sells her Nightingale line of cloth masks; I barely got the wire into the fold, she sews it so close to the edge, but I was using 14g wire.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
I found the solution. Hypo-allergenic double-sided tape.
Nice! I have Transpore tape which a nurse gave me; it'll be my go-to with the paper masks.

Most of the loop-over-ear masks seem to have flimsy wires for the nose bridge; after this is over I'll source a box of HALYARD Level 1 Surgical Masks for the bunker stockpile. A decent metal strip plus over the head ties makes it a winner for long stretches. I'd still be wearing my one Halyard if it did not come apart due to moisture and schmegma.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Bad advice. I tried that. It doesn't work. I did spit in my mask. All it did, was make my mask soggy, and my glasses still fogged up.
Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1571 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post