SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pastrami - The making from scratch - Update with photos if the gloriousness.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pastrami - The making from scratch - Update with photos if the gloriousness. Login/Join 
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the well-detailed post, Beancooker! I just picked up a brisket two days ago and was planning to smoke it but, now I'm going to try out your method for something new. What internal temp did you go for when you had it on the smoker?

Posts: 1133 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I pulled the pieces from the smoker around 150°. That’s when I braised them at 275° for almost two hours. Internal temp hit 195°-200°, then the whole Pan went onto a cooling rack with a fan running. I didn’t break the seal for over two hours of cool down/ resting, to keep the steam and moisture trapped inside.

I sliced the nodge from the “cheap side” or “bad half” of the brisket. OMG. The marbling is killer. Look at this beautiful sight:

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^That's so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes. Not really tears, but close.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
That looks like Wagyu pastrami! Big Grin

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3356 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Jimmy, you and the new bride need to fly out this way. I’ll take a week off. I’ll cook. Off roading a plenty and seeing more cool shit than most tourists do.

You have my email. Let me know when the ship driving gives you a break.

Heheehehehe, thank you for the offer. I might take you up on it one of these days.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Well done Sir! That looks fantastic!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'll be over for a pastrami Reuben, the God of all sandwiches.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
That looks legit. I haven't had a good pastrami in a long while.

I really like it thinly sliced (meat slicer thin) for the texture.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
The sad part is, it’s Wednesday and all the pastrami is gone.

Next time I’ll have to do two briskets.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Nicely done!

For the last four St Patrick’s Days, I’ve served homemade Corned Beef and Pastrami. I generally buy two whole packer briskets (12-16lbs each) and I remove the flat from the point prior to curing. Because the point is the fattier (and potentially more flavorful) portion, I use those to make pastrami and smoke them all the way to complete to render the fat. I don’t bother to steam it until making leftovers.

The flat just goes into a pot after curing to serve as corned beef with cabbage, carrots, potatoes, etc.

I’ve tried a few different recipes but Amazing Ribs is the best IMHO. Their steps are time consuming but critical so best to give yourself plenty of time ahead of serving day so you don’t skip any.

Corned Beef:

https://amazingribs.com/tested...e-corned-beef-recipe

Pastrami:

https://amazingribs.com/tested...s-close-katzs-recipe

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
I'm hungry now. I have Rye bread here and thinking of a Ruben!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post