SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any bird owners?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any bird owners? Login/Join 
posted
I have a female pineapple Green Cheeked Conure that just turned 3 last month. I was never a bird person until I had a 4 year relationship with a woman that owned a Cockatoo. I ended up loving that bird. We broke up and of course, she took the bird with her. I knew then I was a bird person. 9 months later I bought Sky. She loves everyone except my present girlfriend. She cannot stand her touching me.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Posts: 43 | Registered: March 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I should've posted this in The Lair forum.

posted Hide Post
I would leave it here. There are a couple bird people around. I'm sure they will pop in.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yup, there’s actually a few of us.
I just lost my cherryheaded conure last year at this time. I’d had him over 30 years, and he was an adult (wild caught) when I got him as a gift from a then boyfriend. Left the boyfriend eventually, but the bird stayed with me always. He calmed down and became very attached to me.. I could call him to me from anywhere in the house.

Conures are extremely charming and family oriented- mine loved to be part of the action and also snuggle up on my shoulder- and was so very careful with me when grooming (he preened my eyelashes regularly).

I still have 3 Greys (I worked at a birds only animal hospital for a few years, and adopted some “strays”) all up there in age.. 1 is blind at this point, 1 had a stroke many years ago but just keeps on trucking. They are family, and I hope will always be part of my life. I don’t know what I’d do without them.. and it was reaaally hard not to rush out and get another conure after he passed.. does your little girl talk? My little guy was quite chatty- just as chatty as my greys when he felt like it!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Yup, there’s actually a few of us.
I just lost my cherryheaded conure last year at this time. I’d had him over 30 years, and he was an adult (wild caught) when I got him as a gift from a then boyfriend. Left the boyfriend eventually, but the bird stayed with me always. He calmed down and became very attached to me.. I could call him to me from anywhere in the house.

Conures are extremely charming and family oriented- mine loved to be part of the action and also snuggle up on my shoulder- and was so very careful with me when grooming (he preened my eyelashes regularly).

I still have 3 Greys (I worked at a birds only animal hospital for a few years, and adopted some “strays”) all up there in age.. 1 is blind at this point, 1 had a stroke many years ago but just keeps on trucking. They are family, and I hope will always be part of my life. I don’t know what I’d do without them.. and it was reaaally hard not to rush out and get another conure after he passed.. does your little girl talk? My little guy was quite chatty- just as chatty as my greys when he felt like it!

She does. "Pretty bird, What are you doing?, I love you, and pretty pretty. Green Cheeks don't live near as long as Greys or even Cherry Heads but I expect her to be around for another 20 years. Never dreamed I'd be so dang attached to a bird.

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've got some chicken thighs in the freezer. Does that count? Razz

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You are a bad man, Shugart Big Grin

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Umbrella cockatoo and she's getting close to 40.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a Citron Cockatoo I've had half my life and she's 27 now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B Ware:

She does. "Pretty bird, What are you doing?, I love you, and pretty pretty. Green Cheeks don't live near as long as Greys or even Cherry Heads but I expect her to be around for another 20 years. Never dreamed I'd be so dang attached to a bird.

Possibly because they get so attached to YOU Cool

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
Originally posted by B Ware:

Possibly because they get so attached to YOU Cool

She's my Velcro bird. Very needy.

posted Hide Post
'
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Beautiful. My ex girlfriend's cockatoo was a Moluccan.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

They are absolutely fascinating.

My Sister has one that always inches closer and closer whenever I'm around.
She doesn't talk much but I know what she's thinking.
"I'm going to bite the shit out of the MFer first chance I get".

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4878 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Probably true, hah!

"Trust, but verify."

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have 5 cockatoos...

Cici is my youngest now at 8.
I got her to mend my broken heart after Coco died.

Cici is SCARY smart. She can put together simple sentences to tell you what she wants.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I have an African Grey. He is 8 years old now and a lot of fun.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I have 5 cockatoos...

Cici is my youngest now at 8.
I got her to mend my broken heart after Coco died.

Cici is SCARY smart. She can put together simple sentences to tell you what she wants.

5 COCKATOOS????? I'd be on medication.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
I have an African Grey. He is 8 years old now and a lot of fun.

Have you decided who to will him to when you pass on? Smile Smile

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I'm 54 now and I got my bird when I was 27.

She will only be 50 when I'm in my 70's.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post