SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Charles Barkley speaks some truth on race
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charles Barkley speaks some truth on race Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
https://www.breitbart.com/spor...not-like-each-other/

Charles Barkley said that the American political system is designed for politicians – Republican or Democrat – to keep people divided along racial lines so our leaders can “keep their grasp on money and power.”

Barkley made the comments during the CBS Final Four show on Saturday.

“I think most white people and black people are great people — I really believe that in my heart,” Barkley said. “But I think our system is set up for our politicians, whether they are Republicans or Democrats, to make us not like each other and so they can keep their grasp of money and power.

“[Politicians] divide and conquer. I truly believe in my heart that most white people and black people are awesome people, but we are so stupid following our politicians — whether they are Republicans or Democrats.”

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of truth to that.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Increasingly it seems that there is no political system - that’s part of the illusion. It’s just rich and powerful vs the rest of us.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm a CB fan since his Auburn days. He nails this and he isn't afraid to tell it like it is. Hope he doesn't walk anything back and I doubt he will. I like Shaq too. Those guys have a lot of influence.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
What’s to argue with?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
That took some backbone to say. Glad Sir Charles doesn’t lack in that department.

Posts: 3149 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
He nails this and he isn't afraid to tell it like it is. I like Shaq too. Those guys have a lot of influence.

Totally agree. Damned sight more intelligent and informed than LeBron James or Lou Alcindor aka Kareem Abdul-Jabbar!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
IMO Barkley is looking at politics through a prism of race. Some truth there for sure but necessarily limited thinking.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
A few months ago Barkley stated that basketball players should be the first to receive the Covid vaccine since they pay so much in taxes. I stopped listening to his comments since then.

Charles Barkley believes professional athletes, including NBA players, should be among the first to receive vaccines for the novel coronavirus.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ne-taxes/4172681001/

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An absolutely correct statement. But I wish he would have included the news media. I think they are actually worse and a bigger threat to this country than the politicians.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
So it's easier for the group to access:

smschulz, Mea Culpa. Bad case of brain fade on my part. Here's what I meant to post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
So it's easier for the group to access:

{snip of video}

Not really applicable to this thread but interesting none the less.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Barkley also said that Michael Jordan surrounds himself with yes men when running his basketball organization. It was the truth, something Jordan didn't like. Barkley just speaks the truth.

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Wasn't aware of Barkley's Covid19 vaccination comment cited above. Curious if there was more to this such as the context of the discussion.... USA Today is not on my "trusted source" list.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Sir Charles has always been well rooted in reality.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
There is a lot of truth to that.

Yup

Posts: 1539 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
https://www.breitbart.com/spor...not-like-each-other/

Charles Barkley said that the American political system is designed for politicians – Republican or Democrat – to keep people divided along racial lines so our leaders can “keep their grasp on money and power.”

Barkley made the comments during the CBS Final Four show on Saturday.

“I think most white people and black people are great people — I really believe that in my heart,” Barkley said. “But I think our system is set up for our politicians, whether they are Republicans or Democrats, to make us not like each other and so they can keep their grasp of money and power.

“[Politicians] divide and conquer. I truly believe in my heart that most white people and black people are awesome people, but we are so stupid following our politicians — whether they are Republicans or Democrats.”

As a black American I agree 100% with Barkley that the vast majority of White, Black, Hispanic or Asian people are good people. Ive worked, visited, lived, drove my car or rode my motorcycle all over the country and 99.9% of the time everyone one Ive met have been nice people from Georgia to Alabama to Maine to Montana all nice people willing to lend a hand or offer advice. The other enemy of the people Barkley failed to mention was the liberal news media who make division between all of us possible with their agenda driven reporting.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I've always liked Charles even met him once at my GYM some years ago.
However, I don't always agree with him and on this he is partially correct and while some on the right may promote the division it is largely from the left.
We as conservatives have nothing to gain by promoting division, the left has everything to lose.
Additionally, the power and control is certainly a factor on both sides.
I think he "had" to say it was coming from both sides because he wanted to appear impartial and to say it was mainly a left origination would not be a savvy move.
IMO, he is right that most on both sides are great aka not the racists that the media portrays.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Met him in Tempe one night at Gordon Biersch, he was the most popular guy in the room, he had no problem holding court and working the bar area; one of those rare people that thoroughly enjoys the attention and banters with everyone.

He's pretty pragmatic and that's what irks the Left and those who's basis for cause is racial. Chuck understands how to get-along with others and doesn't put himself into an argument corner, which brands him as a 'conservative'. He'll come out with a few far-out statements however, he also knows how to inject humor and be the ham for the moment.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I don't care at all about these NBA or NFL players, but he may be the one of the the better ones. He was am obammy supprorter. Still a long ways from me.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post