SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for paint / primer advice to cover source of cigarette smoke smell. edit: Thanks everyone.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for paint / primer advice to cover source of cigarette smoke smell. edit: Thanks everyone. Login/Join 
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
We used a Swiffer mop with ACV solution on glossy walls. But nothing really works perfect - Nasty Stuff - I worked on Personal Computers back in the OK to smoke in the office days - OMG - Turn one of those babies on in a Non Smoking Room. Made your eyes water.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
What about cleaning the HVAC ductwork? I'd imagine the smoke is coated in the entire HVAC system.

It sure will.

Luckily, though, a thorough cleaning of the HVAC system should clear that problem. CAUTION: Not all HVAC cleaners are the same. Do your homework!

My wife and I smoked in our home for eighteen years. We weren't heavy smokers, but it was certainly enough to leave evidence on surfaces. It's now been eleven years since there's been any smoking in the house. I don't know--maybe somebody who's never smoked can detect it, but I'm pretty sensitive to cigarette smoke smell ever since I quit and I can't smell it--even after having left the home for up to two weeks and coming back in with it having been closed-up all that time.

I should think a thorough cleaning of everything in the home, incl. the HVAC system, carpeting, etc., plus stain-sealing and repainting, should solve the problem. Particularly if you add the ozone generator to speed things along.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about cleaning the HVAC ductwork? I'd imagine the smoke is coated in the entire HVAC system.

It helps, but getting the dust and stuff out doesn’t remove the nicotine tar coating in the ducts and heat/ac system.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, I agree. We have a company rep coming Friday to give us an estimate. Going with a reputable company, not one of those you see advertising $99 specials.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Clean it with TSP, then use Kilz (original). You can’t use oil over latex so you may have to use the Kilz latex.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Clean it with TSP, then use Kilz (original). You can’t use oil over latex so you may have to use the Kilz latex.

That is usually the rule of thumb, but the whole benefit of Kilz Original is to remove the whole oil/latex concern from the project. Oil based Kilz (1000) can be painted over oil or latex, and will accept either a latex or oil topcoat. This is why professionals always carry an aerosol can of the stuff with them when doing the prep.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I painted houses in Fl back in the 90's.
I would rather have been be out in the heat than inside dealing with decades of heavy smokers.
What a nasty job washing it all down or stripping wallpaper off, ceiling coating, etc.
Dark brown walls with spots of whatever the original color was in shapes of pictures, bookcases and whatnot.

We used Kilz back then to seal it down after getting the worst of it off.
They smelled like fresh paint when we were done with it, no idea how long that lasted though.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White pigmented shellac. Zinsser BIN is a good one. Should seal the color and smell. Do not use a waterbased product for this job.

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I had servpro come in and ozone my father's house. Killed the cig smell completely. Had it painted after that, you would never have known a smoker lived there. We also removed all textiles. Carpet, drapes, everything.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post