SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for Gaming PC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for Gaming PC Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Holy shit at the guy in here saying "not really" to getting a gaming PC under 4k.

An mid level gaming PC should cost around $1200-1500 with all peripherals included. The current "one step under the top end" video card, the RTX 2070, is around $450, not $1200, and that's generally going to be the single most expensive piece of equipment, with the CPU being the second priciest.

You can certainly get a decent gaming pc for under 1k.

There's a website that lays out which parts you should get for your budget. I'll see if I can find it.

I agree, especially if the goal is to have good visuals at YouTube level quality (1080 is fine).

I've been an NVIDIA guy lately, so I can't translate directly to ATI for an equivalency, but a GEFORCE RTX 2060 at $300 is probably more than adequate for high settings with the right supporting CPU and RAM and not trying to drive a (or multiple) 4K display. My GTX 1070 (a generation old) runs COD:MW at 60 fps on a 2560x1080 ultrawide using a laptop with an 8th gen Core i7 and the GPU in a thunderbolt enclosure.

No real "need" for a top end $1k graphics card.
No real "need" for water cooling.
No need at all for a case with LEDs and acrylic windows.

No need to shell out $4k. No need to shell out even $2k.

Did anybody read the part that said this is for a NINE YEAR OLD?

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Or......you can tell him to go outside and climb a tree.

You "gamers" worry me.......

Gaming viewership is anticipated to exceed football viewership by as soon as 2025, if not already because of coronavirus.

There are billions of dollars in revenue stream up for grabs for people who can generate content for others to watch.

There are kids making millions upon millions of dollars playing video games, right now. Most of them aren't even actually good at the game, just entertaining to watch.

I know a wealthy family who has a competitive gaming coach for their son, just like you would hire a golf instructor or tennis coach if your child was competitive.

Telling a kid these days that games are a waste of time, or to go "climb a tree", is like telling a kid that they shouldn't have learned "computers" in the late 90's. Spoiler alert for someone still living in 90's, software engineers make good money today--many will become multi millionaires in their 20's and 30's for being in the right place at the right time.

I vote that you buy this kid some decent hardware, focus a little extra money on some post production software, maybe an extra web cam and good mic, work on the lighting in his room, and see where this rolls.

Shit, the first person to take a YouTube video of their kid opening and then playing with a fucking toy probably had no idea their kid would be taking in millions upon millions of dollars for them.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:

Gaming viewership is anticipated to exceed football viewership by as soon as 2025, if not already because of coronavirus.

There are billions of dollars in revenue stream up for grabs for people who can generate content for others to watch.

There are kids making millions upon millions of dollars playing video games, right now. Most of them aren't even actually good at the game, just entertaining to watch.

I know a wealthy family who has a competitive gaming coach for their son, just like you would hire a golf instructor or tennis coach if your child was competitive.

Telling a kid these days that games are a waste of time, or to go "climb a tree", is like telling a kid that they shouldn't have learned "computers" in the late 90's. Spoiler alert for someone still living in 90's, software engineers make good money today--many will become multi millionaires in their 20's and 30's for being in the right place at the right time.

I vote that you buy this kid some decent hardware, focus a little extra money on some post production software, maybe an extra web cam and good mic, work on the lighting in his room, and see where this rolls.

Shit, the first person to take a YouTube video of their kid opening and then playing with a fucking toy probably had no idea their kid would be taking in millions upon millions of dollars for them.

Gaming can be an extremely lucrative field if you are good.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:

Gaming can be extremely lucrative even if you SUCK.

There's money to be made in being good and winning competitions.

There's even MORE money to be made by simply generating entertaining content for people to watch.

Literally, you cannot be "good" at Minecraft. But there are people making tens of thousands of dollars per hour of online video of them literally just dicking around inside of Minecraft literally doing nothing of consequence.

The number 1 YouTube content producer by viewership for many years (I don't know if he's still currently a big deal) is PewDiePie. I watched one of his videos, and it's just him playing through video games and making funny comments. BILLIONS OF VIEWS. MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. For no real ascertainable reason.

For anyone who rolls their eyes at the idea that there may be (or already are) hundreds of millions of eyes locked onto gaming videos at any given moment, consider this: if you've watched sports, then you too have contributed to a billion dollar industry where people watch others play games. A guy in a helmet runs a ball down from one end of the field to the other. Over and over. Millions of spectators, billions of dollars. People doing nothing of consequence, yet I see grown adults wearing team colors like they personally made the team. Wtf.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Trees are EMP-proof Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trees are EMP-proof Wink

You can do more than one thing.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:

Yep, that's how Pewdiepie, Markiplier and the like made their millions. Each of them is worth over $20 million. As someone else said though, the key is having a personality and being entertaining to watch, not necessarily good.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post