SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida Legislature Passes Universal School Choice - Epoch Times
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Legislature Passes Universal School Choice - Epoch Times Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
Looks like Florida continues to move in the right direction.

Florida Legislature Passes Universal School Choice
Epoch Times - By Dan M. Berger, March 24, 2023

The Florida Legislature has passed the NAME bill that will make school vouchers, good for private school tuition or homeschooling expenses, available to every family in the state.

The Senate passed the measure, known as HB 1, by a 26–12 vote on March 23. It passed in the House on March 17 by a vote of 83–27. The bill, which Gov. Ron DeSantis is likely to sign, would go into effect on July 1, 2023. The state plans to add 40,000 vouchers yearly to its program until 2027.

“This bill makes Florida the first state in the nation to provide universal parental choice for education,” state Rep. Chuck Clemons, a Republican and speaker pro tem of the House, told The Epoch Times in a text.

“The old tired system was broken. This model will soon spread across the country.”

[use the link in the article title to read the full story]

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Looks like Florida continues to move in the right direction.

Florida Legislature Passes Universal School Choice
Epoch Times - By Dan M. Berger, March 24, 2023

The Florida Legislature has passed the NAME bill that will make school vouchers, good for private school tuition or homeschooling expenses, available to every family in the state.

The Senate passed the measure, known as HB 1, by a 26–12 vote on March 23. It passed in the House on March 17 by a vote of 83–27. The bill, which Gov. Ron DeSantis is likely to sign, would go into effect on July 1, 2023. The state plans to add 40,000 vouchers yearly to its program until 2027.

“This bill makes Florida the first state in the nation to provide universal parental choice for education,” state Rep. Chuck Clemons, a Republican and speaker pro tem of the House, told The Epoch Times in a text.

“The old tired system was broken. This model will soon spread across the country.”

[use the link in the article title to read the full story]

Good for Florida (and their kids... and their parents!)

Collateral benefit: FL voters now have a precise list of the 27 legislators who are bought & paid for by the NEA.

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:

Collateral benefit: FL voters now have a precise list of the 27 legislators who are bought & paid for by the NEA.
I'm looking for that list. Where did you see it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
How do these school vouchers work? Buy them with tax credits, and use them to pay private school tuition?

Posts: 6503 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
So, do parents still pay school taxes?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I was excited when Utah passed a similar bill recently as I currently send my children to private school and was hoping I'd get some relief. But it's not so. The way I read it, to qualify a family's income requirement is something like twice the poverty line or less. I don't even come close.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will recieve total consciousness.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post