SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I think it is time for my own domain...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think it is time for my own domain... Login/Join 
posted
All,

My apologies if this has been discussed previously.

I think I am in need of my own hosted domain with e-mail services. There are several companies out there that provide these services, but I am an absolute noob and am not familiar with any of them.

Can any of you "in the know" recommend 1 or 2 providers that you have used with success for a family or small business type application?

In all, I would probably only need 5 (7 max) e-mail addresses.

Again, this is all new to me, so forgive me if ask any stupid questions.

Thanks in advance,

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Inexpensive way to do it: Pay twelve bucks a year to Google Domains, to register your own domain, for example, TheBoz.com

Then create email addresses like user1@TheBoz.com and set that email address to forward to a mailbox that you already have.

I do this with my small business -- I registered the domain name and created email addresses at that domain that just forward to my iCloud email account.

This way I do not pay for mailboxes at a hosted domain service, my only cost is $12 / year to "own" the domain name.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
AWS is $6/yr for domain hosting iirc

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This came to mind immediately...

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
https://epik.com for the domain registrar
inmotionhosting.com to host web sites, email and images
https://cloudflare.com for DNS proxy and certain country blocking

Google, godaddy and Amazon hate you.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was quite happy with Yahoo web-hosting services at about $120 per year. Built my own website using the Yahoo tools, had it up and running in a few hours, easy to manage and maintain. Multiple e-mail accounts linked to the website for customer inquiries and orders.

I've been retired nearly 7 years now, so I'm sure things have changed. The folks who purchased my business have switched to another web-hosting service. I'm sure there are lots of options.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about the same issue for years and finally, about two years ago, did it.

My problem is that when/if I move I loose my e-mail I have had for 20 years. I wanted an e-mail address (non-google) that would follow me. I do not trust the google style addresses to not read and track my every e-mail.

There are many options on how to do it, but the main point is to get it done. It is more costly than a free account but you will not have to worry about a myriad of other issues.

Good Luck.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Is this simply for email?

The basics are:

* You need to buy or rather register a unique domain name from a Registrar.
* Registrars like Network Solutions, Go Daddy or others.
** (then) You need to control DNS.
** There are independent DNS Hosts or these services are widely available from the same place you register your domain.
** It does not have to be at the same place of registration. I use ZoneEdit but there are plenty of others.
*** Then you purchase you Hosted Services such as Email, WebSite, etc.
*** Even these all don't have to be at the same vendor or may be if beneficial.

Once you have your domain, DNS Hosting (needed to tell the IP world where your services are) and services Email then you edit the DNS settings.

Note: Once you register you have to provide them with who is doing the DNS Hosting (server IP) > must be updated on your Registrar Account ~ basically you are telling everyone who is providing your DNS records.

For Email you would create a MX record from the IP your Email Vendor gives you.
For a website you would create an A Record that alerts everyone to your Website.

For the complexity most people will stick with the all-in-one vendor (Registrar/DNS/Email/Web/other).

However, I just wanted to give the basics:
1) Register [First]
2) DNS
3) Services like Email, Web, Etc.

Before you register I would look over first who you get to provide the services for pricing and features etc and if going AIO then let them do the other two above.

Email Microsoft Exchange Online (O365) is the most robust but more expensive.
Other simple Email will work but base on your needs.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
When I was looking for my own domain to use as an email address, I ended up with ionos.com.

They offer low prices, I pay $12 for my Domain each year and $2 a month for email. They can host your site, etc.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All,

Thank you so much for the information so far. I have not read through all of it, but I will this evening.

I am mainly trying to prepare for switching ISP's. I, like several of you, have had the same ISP provided e-mail since 1998. Everything is tied to that e-mail. I want my own domain so that when the ISP goes away, I have something more secure and long term than outlook.com, gmail.com, etc.

I also have several family members that could benefit from this.

Lastly, I have a small business with my family. It would benefit from a web presence and to have a contact/e-mail that has a domain name that was a little more professional.

Moving all of my usernames and current login credentials will take weeks, possibly months, so I want to start now. I will have fiber, gigabit cable and StarLink all available to me soon and I want to move locations once the housing bubble pops, so I do not know what I will have at the new place.

Those are my reasons for asking.

Thanks again. I may have some specific questions for some of you tonight or tomorrow.

Regards,

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Coincidentally this episode was next in the queue for me tonight. Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

This is literally the very first think that came to my mind as well. Literally when I saw the thread title, before even clicking, that Seinfeld episode popped up in my head. Good to know I’m in good company.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post