SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    As much as I love riding my motorcycles, it's too damn hot!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As much as I love riding my motorcycles, it's too damn hot!! Login/Join 
Member!
posted
With temps at around 105 here in Boise, it's like riding around with a hair dryer on full heat blasting me constantly. Even the joy of motorcycle riding can't overcome that constant blast of hot air during the day. I can't imagine how bad it gets for the southern really hot states like Arizona. Dry heat or not it sucks..

Posts: 4346 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep, mines sitting in the garage, it's either too wet, too hot, too humid, too all three....

I generally get out in early evening if I"m going for a ride, if not, after 9 pm, traffic is way down with COVID, and we have a route mapped out for about an hour ride...

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Trust me---- there is a difference in dry heat vs the damp humid heat like we enjoy Southern Louisiana is like riding in a blast furnace. Just like in the winter time with pure cold temperatures vs a wet cold temperatures. .............drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently 73 here in the Yoop. Sunny and dew point is 53.
Going for a scoot afer the evening news. Just need to watch the tourists and the deer.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
try an evaporative cooling vest and neckerchief. Makes a HUGE difference.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My BMW K1600 GT is safe in a cool garage. No way I am riding until the tropical storm slides by Richmond VA and I can enjoy a few miles.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I did a long ride Sunday.

Rode to work today.

All weather is good riding weather.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The temps and humidity have been brutal here in NC, so the worst is sitting at a stop light with the heat of the engine coming up and the sun Beating down on you. It is just too hot at the moment to ride, for me anyway.

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Too hot the last few days even here in the seacoast of NH. Talking to a few people in downtown Epping yesterday. When it hit 95 they are all commenting how hot it is. In a few months it will be "can't wait until winter ends".....

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished two weeks riding Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks plus spent a day in Rapid City. SD checking out Spearfish Canyon, Needles Hwy, MT Rushmore and Crazy Horse monument. Weather was perfect, sunny skies, warm but not uncomfortable and not a drop of rain. Best motorcycle vacation I've ever been on, now I'm back home in PA :-(

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Wet down a t-shirt, wear it under your jacket. It will keep you cool for a few hours, as long as you are moving.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Wet down a t-shirt, wear it under your jacket. It will keep you cool for a few hours, as long as you are moving.

Absolutely and this should really work well in Boise, the dryer it is the better this works.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7104 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
It’s been way to hot, humid and wet in Atlanta for me to ride. I don’t like riding at night so I am stuck hoping for a break in the cycle.

JC

Posts: 1272 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

More like 10 minutes in the West. But they are a lovely 10 minutes.

The gel/evaporation vests work a lot longer.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
It’s been way to hot, humid and wet in Atlanta for me to ride. I don’t like riding at night so I am stuck hoping for a break in the cycle.
Same here in Texas' Gulf Coast. Last year I didn't ride between June 9th and Labor Day and this year is looking the same.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Full compression shirt and pants (I call them my motorcycle tights) under my suit. I regularly ride at over 100 degrees but the trick is to not sit at lights and what not. If you are covering the wind will keep your body temp down. I stop for Gatorade when I get gas and keep the ride to about 3 hours and no problemo.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12645 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
It never gets really hot and humid here and while I can’t ride far on this rock, I can ride almost every day. Hawaii doesn’t have a helmet law so it’s great as long as you regard everyone else on the road as being out to kill you and ride accordingly.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
It never gets really hot and humid here and while I can’t ride far on this rock, I can ride almost every day. Hawaii doesn’t have a helmet law so it’s great as long as you regard everyone else on the road as being out to kill you and ride accordingly.

No helmet is a bad idea, especially on Maui. Rented an R6 when visiting a few years back. (A fun ride on the north side) No freaking way I would ride there without at a minimum, high top gym shoes, gloves, and helmet. Terrible drivers and shitty roads. I'm now a cager when I visit my daughterBig Grin Stay safe P210.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The last day my city had below 96 degrees was July 16. Everyday since then the actual temperature has been 96 or more with a couple of days over 100. With the heat index, every day has been 102-107 since mid July.

The humidity here is suffocating. My dad served two tours in Vietnam at the DMZ and likes to say it didn't get as humid in Vietnam as it does here in SE Virginia.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Yeah, in stop and go traffic last weekend I was waiting for my jeans to burst into flames. Not pleasant.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post