SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our Scottie Likes to Chew Outside Wiring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Scottie Likes to Chew Outside Wiring Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
She especially likes the wiring leading into the outside AC unit. I’ve tried electrical tape and duct tape, but she’s persistent.

Can anybody on the Forum recommend some strong nylon or mesh I can get at Loews or Home Depot that I can wrap around it, or maybe rigid or flexible PVC I can cut to size? What’s best?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
This.

Sealproof.

If it will keep him out, it should keep out your pup.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
It may sound a little mean however; a Navy Captain friend of mine had a small dog (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) who did the same.

He connected up a 9v battery (the kind you place on your tongue for a small jolt) to a couple wires and let the dog "discover" it. Captain said the dog took three times to figure it (dumb dog) before not doing it anymore. Just ensure you are NOT using anything stronger than what a zap collar puts out if you go this route.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
This.

Sealproof.

If it will keep him out, it should keep out your pup.

Your outside wiring to an A/C unit is supposed to be in conduit such as above. It's a good product.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Put some ass scorcher hot sauce on it

Posts: 5346 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

THIS!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

THIS!!

Are you kidding, if the poor dog chews through the 2 lines at the same time and gets a dose of 240 volts, the OP will have a barbequed dead dog.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Light coating of Vaseline and sprinkle on some cayenne pepper.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Unless someone else has a rrecipe,

Old wine bottle (or mason jar -- etc)
Cut jalpeno peppers (slilce into slices)
Fill bollte/jar with peppers
fill to top with water

In a few days, apply to where you don't want dogs or other pets -- works for me.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Most likely its the small 4 wire thermostat wire that the dog is chewing on.
I really can't see any respectable installer running ac power open air without being in a conduit.
Around here its standard for the thermostat control wires to run open air from the house to the unit.

Posts: 18047 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Most likely its the small 4 wire thermostat wire that the dog is chewing on.
I really can't see any respectable installer running ac power open air without being in a conduit.
Around here its standard for the thermostat control wires to run open air from the house to the unit.

Until I read this, I figured that this would ultimately be a self correcting problem. Unpleasant, but self correcting.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wrap it in chicken wire? Or put a chicken wire fence around the A/C unit?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Hot wire, like they use for cow fences...he’ll only do it once.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The liquid tight the monkey posted is a great idea and is a best practice for installing A/C power.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to have to remove the wire to run it through a conduit, you can wrap it in a spiral hydraulic hose protector. You can even double wrap it. I use this to protect hydraulic hoses from abrasion. It is pretty tough stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Cut...-Black/dp/B07NMTQ69P

Posts: 3232 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Mike's idea, get a cattle fence transformer and wrap a bare steel wire around the lead you want to protect. Scotties are tough little dogs so the first jolt will just make him mad. Then he go at the wire again and get the second jolt. After that he'll shake it off and test the wire again just to show he's not afraid. After that he'll stay away from it because he'll consider the wire bewitched and it's just bad karma to be poking at a witch.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
If you don't want to have to remove the wire to run it through a conduit, you can wrap it in a spiral hydraulic hose protector. You can even double wrap it. I use this to protect hydraulic hoses from abrasion. It is pretty tough stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Cut...-Black/dp/B07NMTQ69P

This!! Or something like it. Great stuff, easy to spin on and cut to length and not requiring any disassembly/reassembly. Might even entertain the dog for a lifetime. Any hydraulic shop should have it locally, in a wide variety of sizes.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post