SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Budget proposal to reduce Veterans Disability Payment.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget proposal to reduce Veterans Disability Payment. Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted
Mad

If I say what I'm thinking ...Please contact your Representative and get this stopped. I know there's about 15 million other ways they can cut the budget.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Basically the VA will reduce or eliminate disability pay under three different optins.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I saw something about this a few days ago, but no sourcing.

I would love to know which Congress Critters are behind this.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Angry Cops is on this. Only half way through and my blood is boiling. I did notice that this was proposed on of all dates 07 Dec 2022. Also, whose party was running Congress at the time?

Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of fraud going on with a lot of the "disability" going on. The economics behind it is simply not sustainable as our post 9/11 veterans start to hit 20+ years and retire.

The combat veterans have more than earned it.

What should concern us are those who are post 9/11 and have never stepped foot outside US soil, been injured in a training accident nor victim of sexual assault somehow collecting 100% disability.

In Florida and Texas, if you are 100% disabled, you are property tax exempt in those states. That's the ultimate goal of why so many guard and reservists do everything, including falsifying claims, to reach that 100% mark.

Posts: 13119 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The gaming of the system is real. Former next door neighbor, Army Col. in Logistics, Pentagon staff, after being passed over for promotion, gets herself posted to Baghdad Green Zone, long after the conflict ended. Was there for two months before she developed PTSD and retired on full disability. Now I am not a doctor, but I noticed no change in her behavior or demeanor from before or after she developed PTSD, and she was never able to explain to me exactly what traumatic stress led to her diagnosis, but the Army doctors saw nothing wrong with granting her claim, perhaps the Army was just happy to see her gone.

Posts: 6480 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I worked for a guy in my last job that belonged to the NJ National Guard. He would take off on Thursday afternoon and be gone all day Friday and charge to the job. The management knew this because they had to sign off on his time card.

He is now a two star General and drawing a big retirement. We lost the project because of his mismanagement.

Another person was an Army person working for DCA and filed an on job back injury when he injured his back working on his sail boat.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
This has already been swatted down: https://www.military.com/daily...-wealthier-vets.html

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a lot of fraud going on with a lot of the "disability" going on. The economics behind it is simply not sustainable as our post 9/11 veterans start to hit 20+ years and retire.

Yep, every recently discharged Vet I know is on some level of disability, there is nothing wrong with any of them.

They tell me I should get on board with my hearing and knee problems. Assholes

I wish it was only reserved for those who truly deserve it

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
The pendulum has swung back towards the vet. Then I got out in 2010 I got the goose egg. Wasn't expecting much, hearing loss and some PTSD. I was expecting 10-20%, which is not enough to get a check. But even with my hearing tests showing a loss, nothing. But after the mess the VA was in several years ago I feel they are remembering why they exist.

As for cases of fraud you know about, call the IG or Fraud/Waste/Abuse hotline. That is what they're for.

Dirt Sailors Unite!

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Imagine being sent to war, coming back changed, if at all. War takes a toll on a persons body and soul. Imagine recruiting numbers if the .gov tells potential soldiers that after they've used them, they'll be discarded like month old fish. Of all the things we piss money away doing, taking care of our soldiers is the least we can do.

I can tell you from experience how hard it is to actually get compensation from the VA. For every 1 or 2 that slip through the cracks, thousands of others are flat out rejected even when they should be approved. It often takes decades and exhaustive efforts on a service members part to gather evidence in their favor. You think work comp is hard, try filing a claim with the VA. I've seen soldiers with amputations, MST, and other conditions rejected for no other reason than "it wasn't in your record" even though that person's record didn't exist because it was lost in a fire. Shameful!

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wasn't expecting much, hearing loss and some PTSD. I was expecting 10-20%, which is not enough to get a check.
I have tinnitus, which nets me 10% VA disability. My BIL, OTOH, has hearing loss and gets hearing aids thru the VA, but no disability for it.

Difference? Tinnitus is permanent; hearing loss is fixable.

Posts: 9045 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taking away beneits from Vets is as popular as cutting Medicare and Social Security. Not gonna happen ever.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post