SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DFW locals, advice needed.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DFW locals, advice needed. Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
Mrs.BurtonRW and I are going to be in the DFW area (staying in Cresson, actually) for the eclipse.

Any suggestions as to a nice place to go watch it? Preferably someplace with nice scenery (think panoramic vistas, not urban) and maybe less likely to be crowded?

Don’t mind driving a bit or paying for park entry, etc.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My IT Director (aka supergeek) has had this on calendar for 2 years. Reservations in same general area.

He can't find a place closer than Cape Girardeau where the forecast for next week isn't awful. He's still holding out hope, but keep an eye on weather.

You may not get vistas, you may get cloudy rain, then super dark....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cape Girardeau

That's where I'd go if I was watching!

I haven't lived in DFW for a long time...
so can't really help.
but here's a map of totality:

https://nso.edu/for-public/eclipse-map-2024/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24134 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Adding a link to prediction site:

Linky

Looks like they are updating regularly.

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
I am 2 hrs NE DFW area. We will be a prime viewing area. CHECK THE WEATHER PRIOR our EMC and people are saying it will be overcast to the point you cant even see the sun.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Botanical Gardens in Fort Worth.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
Since you’re in Cresson, you’re very close to lake Granbury. just go to one of the parks around the lake and have a picnic and watch it. The price is right too.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
This morning, one of the local weathermen said it looks like it might be a solid overcast of clouds that day. Hopefully, we can see something.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's passing right over us here in Western PA. But,.. as we are in western PA, all we will see is a darker shade of overcast.

Good luck for a sunny, er eh, moony day!

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
There’s a place on the south end of Cresson called the Motorsport Ranch that I’ve hears is fairly wide open and flat so you can watch without being shoulder to shoulder with a thousand of your new friends.

I’d call the Hood County Sheriff’s Office (Granbury, the county seat is just southwest of Cresson) and see what they recommend.

Posts: 4502 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I'm in Kaufman County, just outside of Terrell, allegedly dead center for 4 minutes and 20 seconds of darkness. Roll Eyes

I can't wait for the bullshit to be over with.
School and business closings, county and state alerts for traffic, fucking stay home.

I go to work at 11 and head east to Louisiana.
I don't need these tourists fucking up my work day..

Enjoy your stay, I hope it's cloudy with rain.... Razz

Posts: 4364 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The further south and west from D/FW, the better. My sister lives in the Houston suburbs and reports the consensus down there is for everyone to all clog IH-45 and head north towards Dallas. The downside to being towards Cresson and US-281 is infrastructure. The roads are all small two lane highways. So while the views are more what you are looking for, traffic issues could be an issue due to capacity. Lake Granbury has several parks and could be your best bet.

Our city sponsored urban watch party is expecting several thousand attendees, complete with beer tents. It will be fun watching the detectives squeeze into their uniforms on Monday.

Posts: 490 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:

Enjoy your stay, I hope it's cloudy with rain.... Razz

Right now, it’s supposedly 30% chance of rain and cloudy. You know how it is here in the Spring. Constant high wind, clouds, and rain in March/April. I have the glasses from the last partial we got, that I was late to the dance and missed it, but did order the glasses after. But, while I want to see it myself, I hate hoopla, holidays, name it. Definitely buying groceries tonight to last me for a week and will be shut in this weekend and Monday as the dolts will all be migrating here for the big 4 minute 30 second deal.

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Okay, weather aside, tell me about Cedar Hill State Park.

I’d rather be further out of town than closer in, but there were still day passes available, so I snagged one.

Do I need to go armed? I’m only suspicious because passes weren’t available at any of the other State Parks.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
1lowlife

Just chiming in to tell you. This bullshit has already started. I’m at my orthopedic surgeon’s office so just left the house. We have a park in my neighborhood and it’s chalked full of people with nothing better to do at 11am on a Thursday. One vehicle, a truck, had an enclosed trailer behind it. All these people were congregating together. A few people there, stay at mom’s with small children or strollers is usual. That man people at this time and that many cars is highly unusual. I am thankful I bought groceries in advance of this bullshit. Sucks for me too as I have to drive to near Frisco today out to my Discount Tire manager who I have followed from close to the house store to his new one. I bet traffic this weekend all day is going to be a mother fucker.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
We have a park in my neighborhood and it’s chalked full of people

You mean, like dead people outlines?

Y'all have fun!

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
@1lowlife
Im right on that line between Kaufman and Terrell.
We must be neighbors.

Is that your .308 I hear at night?
Smile

Posts: 5029 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
info email sent

Posts: 378 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Cresson is a small town, maybe a thousand citizens living there, it ain't Dallas. I would think walking anywhere in town would be good, maybe the crossroads.

Driving around today in my neck of the woods, there is zero increase in traffic, people on the streets, etc. Just a normal, quiet Friday. Next Monday, businesses will still be open, school in session. My front office window at home gets a southern exposure, I'll just step out on to the driveway every now and then to grab a glimpse.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post