SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    French Riviera: What must I see? (Edit: Update, pg 2: Cannes/Antibes?)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French Riviera: What must I see? (Edit: Update, pg 2: Cannes/Antibes?) Login/Join 
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted
I found out today that I'll be going to Villefranche-sur-mer, which is right next to Nice and very close to Monaco, for my spring break (mid March).

What can't I miss while I'm there? Expenses are paid to a reasonable extent, and I'll be renting either a motorcycle or car to explore the area. I'm 27, wildly single, and will be mostly rolling solo, so pretty much anything goes. I've been to France several times before, but am unfamiliar with this particular region. Deep sea fishing is unfortunately unlikely to be successful with the water that cold, so I've written that off.

Things I like (in no particular order):

Wine
Impressionist art
Gambling/night life (Monaco is a must)
Anything adventurous
Architecture
History
Other stuff, I'm sure

I speak limited French and have 5 days.

And... go!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Killer Instincts,

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Best driving experience I ever has was the ROUTE DE NAPOLEON from Grenoble to Cannes

Posts: 3555 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a bus you can take straight from Nice airport to Monte Carlo. About a half hour ride. Beautiful scenery along the coast. There is quite the night life along the marina. One place I recall was Stars and Bars. You'll have fun!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Once you've seen two, you've seen 'em all! Eek

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Once you've seen two, you've seen 'em all! Eek

There's already a thread on headlights.

Posts: 8598 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Le'me see Monoco and gambling, you better pack a tux and at least five figures worth of green backs to get in the door.

That neck of the woods is all about lounging around on the pebbly beaches or, pool lounge, working off the hang-over from the night before. Scope out the topless Russian girls, hope they don't have a oligarch for a boyfriend and get their DM for a hook-up later that night.

Posts: 14554 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Le'me see Monoco and gambling, you better pack a tux and at least five figures worth of green backs to get in the door.

That neck of the woods is all about lounging around on the pebbly beaches or, pool lounge, working off the hang-over from the night before. Scope out the topless Russian girls, hope they don't have a oligarch for a boyfriend and get their DM for a hook-up later that night.

Corsair, you're speaking my language.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
You have to check out the medieval town of Èze. It's awesome. My wife and I drove through there a few years ago during a road trip around France. It was one of my highlights. It's very close to where you will be.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Burger Vite Fait in Monte Carlo.

Posts: 3952 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
How long is you stay?
2-3 weeks?

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
You're about 1.5 hours away from the site of France's other D-Day. If you look at Google Maps there is a sandy beach just west of Le Dramont. In that area are monuments commemorating the landings of the 36th ID. There were landings from roughly Saint Raphael all the way to Le Lavandou.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon

Posts: 11146 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
You're about 1.5 hours away from the site of France's other D-Day. If you look at Google Maps there is a sandy beach just west of Le Dramont. In that area are monuments commemorating the landings of the 36th ID. There were landings from roughly Saint Raphael all the way to Le Lavandou.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon

Sweet! I love military history, and it looks like a nice ride over there. I'll check it out.

Still on the bucket list is Ste. Mere-Eglise, which was taken primarily by paratroopers from my unit (505 PIR). Next time.

BillyBonesNY, I'm only there for 5 days or so, not including travel time.

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I hear you can find lots of deals on lightly used vintage rifles over there Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Haha. Good suggestions, everyone! Keep em coming. I'll check out as much as I can without overly exerting myself... gotta save my energy for those Russian girls.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
A view of Èze, France:

In the village:

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Just another idea, there is the Musee de la Liberation Le Muy just a little further down the road. The Le Muy area is where a lot of the paratroopers were dropped.

The museum only looks to be open on Thursdays and Sundays from nine to Noon.

Posts: 11146 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
You will be close... go to Italy!!!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Last time I was there was about 35 years ago. We were on a trouble shooting/inspection trip.

Had a day to spare so went walking along that beach. Came across a couple of very good looking women sunbathing (mid march) and they were being very careful not to get tan lines!

As in buck nekkid.

3 of us Americans and on french guy. The french guy never batted an eye. Can't say the same for us Amis.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
You will be close... go to Italy!!!

Posts: 3555 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Head over to Monte Carlo stop at Eze on the way. Nice has a great outdoor market just off of the promenade.

For a great wine tasting experience look up Caves Bianchi 1860 in Nice you won't be disappointed.

And watch the movie Ronin before you go, you'll see a few locations they used to film.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post