SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is sub-prime car loans the next big economy crash.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is sub-prime car loans the next big economy crash. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE are next.

Posts: 103 | Registered: January 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
The Zero interest car loans are the best thing for Car sales, as people are less likely to be upside down. More people have some equity instead of just paying interest.

Not always.
Most of the time the offer is either a rebate or 0 rate but not combo.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Together with the used car market. We are already seeing the used cars build up and the prices fall.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8154 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ONETIMER:
SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE are next.

Really doubtful. The fed will continue to prop it up with new schemes and printing money. The WAR ON SENIORS that you hear chuckle cry about constantly is a paper dragon that gets trotted out whenever the left needs a boogeyman. It along with other entitlements will be protected as the golden goose that they are. Defense spending will go long before social security crashes.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37123 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NO, it's way too easy to repossess a car.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
So many people out there are on a collision course with financial disaster.

It's so easy to borrow money these days. I know a guy who was making maybe $10k a year, he applied for a Trek Bicycle card and got approved for $1,500. I mean, do they not look at income? Same thing with auto loans, they'll just stretch out the payment so the monthly amount is less. But all it takes is one accident and someone is getting fucked. GAP is a huge money maker for banks but if you're under water and don't buy it, you're still screwed. People these days just always seem to want the latest and greatest. We have 2 cars: 2014 Kia Sportage and 2003 Honda Civic. Honda is paid off and we're about $2,000 over the Kia than what we owe. When the Honda goes, I'll most likely take over the Sportage while the wife gets a new vehicle. We always put money down and get good rates.

As for college loans, they're going to keep the cost of education up because I haven't heard of anyone get denied for a loan. Why would colleges start charging less when they have people beating down the doors with borrowed money to go to school? That's what a friend told me. She's a graduate studies professor at the University of Iowa. She said money is borrowed too easily. I also imagine there are some who are professional students, I know a guy like that. Undergrad in electrical engineering, couldn't (his fault) find work as an EE and ended up going to law school (tier 3 school) and now works at his mom's day care... He's in some pretty heavy student loan debt.

Posts: 13151 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Want a new vehicle?

1. Payoff the old one.
2. Save money by being frugal.
3. Know the real cost. Negotiate.
4. Use Costco's car buying program. It took another $1000 off of the negotiated price.

I did and it works.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, it is WAYYYYY too easy for WAYYYY to many people to borrow WAYYYY too much money. Everyone seems to want everything right now and also always want the latest and greatest item. It's ridiculous. All of these people live way outside their means. I'd guess easily 8 out of every 10 people 20-60 years old has credit card debt at a high interest rate, car loans etc.

Also if these people get a raise or bonus, they don't think about paying debt down. Now they want bigger and more expensive things and take on more debt.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I know a guy like that. Undergrad in electrical engineering, couldn't (his fault) find work as an EE and ended up going to law school (tier 3 school) and now works at his mom's day care... He's in some pretty heavy student loan debt.

At first I was like "Whoa, couldn't find work as a EE?!! WTF? But then saw the qualifier that it was his fault - oh, OK."

That gave me a start since I have two boys at Virginia Tech right now who are in the EE program.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
How can someone roll their negative equity into their new car, then trade it in with even worse negative equity, wash, rinse, repeat, while the car dealer is making money?

The dealer has to pay off the old car, finance the new one, with no cash down or not enough, pay commissions, etc.

Zero down sales merely substitute a higher price for a higher rate. The present value of the note is the same or very close. The car is worth what it is worth. Equity is illusory without significant down payments, because the value of the car is mostly lower with time.

Back when I worked for a car dealer (80s to early 90s) the sales force was pretty creative at the tactic. I never worked in sales but hung out with some of the salesmen and heard stories about some of the crap they pulled. The bigger the spread between the cost and retail price of a vehicle allowed more room to "bury" negative trade-in equity. Most banks then wouldn't full finance a vehicle over retail sticker price (except in special cases) but many had no problem financing 100% of MSRP.

If a customer was upside down in their trade sales would write the paperwork as if the new vehicle was selling at full MSRP and then use the difference between that and their real selling price to put against negative equity. For example: Chevy that retails for $20k but regularly sells for $17.5k has a potential $2500 to use for "burying". It was also not unusual for dealers to exaggerate fees and/or services to use for covering negative trade equity. Whatever it took to get it done.

Another tactic back then was "double-dipping" which was to finance whatever the bank would cover via normal loan and a second loan via HFC or other (predatory) small lender to cover the down payment. The trick was to submit both of them simultaneously so one didn't count against the other.

The results of these tactics was a customer that was so far under water on a loan they went poor paying it off or went bankrupt to get out of it. If they double-dipped the second loan was usually at a ridiculously high APR that sucked even more cash out of them. Some poor saps had the misfortune to suffer a total loss (wreck, flood, theft) on their vehicle to find out the insurance company paid only the actual value of the vehicle which left the customer owing a large amount from the loan. Nothing like forking out a big monthly payment for a car that's in the crusher.

I've been out of the car business a long time so I'm not familiar with how dealers operate now but creativity flows when there's a buck to be had. As long as certain car buyers are dumb enough to negotiate with "how much per month?" instead of "what's the total cost?" they'll continue to dig equity holes straight to China while the dealers get a percentage of whatever those customers swallow.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2049 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:

Back when I worked for a car dealer (80s to early 90s) the sales force was pretty creative at the tactic. I never worked in sales but hung out with some of the salesmen and heard stories about some of the crap they pulled. The bigger the spread between the cost and retail price of a vehicle allowed more room to "bury" negative trade-in equity. Most banks then wouldn't full finance a vehicle over retail sticker price (except in special cases) but many had no problem financing 100% of MSRP.

If a customer was upside down in their trade sales would write the paperwork as if the new vehicle was selling at full MSRP and then use the difference between that and their real selling price to put against negative equity. For example: Chevy that retails for $20k but regularly sells for $17.5k has a potential $2500 to use for "burying". It was also not unusual for dealers to exaggerate fees and/or services to use for covering negative trade equity. Whatever it took to get it done.

Oh, please. There is no margin like that in car sales. They are lucky to get $100 over invoice, and work their butts off to get that much. Most cars are sold at a loss to the dealer. They make a little on service, but sales are a loss leader of sorts. Don't you know anything?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPTKILLER:
Want a new vehicle?

1. Payoff the old one.
2. Save money by being frugal.
3. Know the real cost. Negotiate.

I did and it works.

Sage advice.
But the people taking out sub-prime car loans will never learn...
Some people will always live hand to mouth.
Delayed gratification is not a concept they can grasp.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24192 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:

Oh, please. There is no margin like that in car sales. They are lucky to get $100 over invoice, and work their butts off to get that much. Most cars are sold at a loss to the dealer. They make a little on service, but sales are a loss leader of sorts. Don't you know anything?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Every plaid-suited sales trainee gets one:

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2049 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Waiting for the next crash. On the road to building up savings so by the time the banks run the country into the ground again I should be in a place to buy a home maybe.

Same here.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
At first I was like "Whoa, couldn't find work as a EE?!! WTF? But then saw the qualifier that it was his fault - oh, OK."

That gave me a start since I have two boys at Virginia Tech right now who are in the EE program.

To be fair the guy didn't have much common sense. Really book smart but just has no idea how the real world works.

He ended up working a few months at an EE firm and made pretty damn good money and it got to his head. This was in the late 90's. We were talking about sports cars and asked if he was going to get a Corvette. He said no, it wasn't exotic enough for him. Viper? Nope, still not exotic enough. He was going for a Ferrari. Roll Eyes

Ended up bouncing around, worked briefly at Sears on the receiving dock, maintenance at village works before his mom opened a daycare and he drove the van. Went to law school, graduated and passed the bar. Now he's the "legal counsel" at the daycare. Roll Eyes

I imagine it's hard for him to find work when they see so many gaps in employment. If I were an employer, I'd wonder if the guy had been in prison or something with gaps like he has. He's 37-38, same age as me and has maybe 1-2 years of full time work experience and living at home with mom doing nothing but at least he has a EE degree and JD.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
People are taking out 72 and 84 month loans as standard now. I've read of ten year loans as well. Crazy! People's narcissism, self absorption, and keeping up with the Joneses, status, etc, totally override any and all financial sense.

I think it's just stupidity increasing at an alarming rate myself. I've talked to people trading in their car (upside down) to get a newer version because it integrates with their smart phone better. I said "You can get a Pioneer that will do the same thing for $400." Their response was "I don't want to mess with that, they'd have to take my car apart." So $400 purchase on a new head unit vs. $35-40k purchase. Which one makes more sense? Idiots.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12686 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Now if we're talking about 72/84 months at 0% or 0.9% then that would make sense but I believe that 0% typically is for 36 or 48 month loans.

But then again with a short loan period and the fact that many do not put money down on a car, they couldn't afford it on a month to month cost, either.