SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Deadbeat Tenant Insisted on Eviction I told him about the rent vouchers, but he preferred to get the boot.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Deadbeat Tenant Insisted on Eviction I told him about the rent vouchers, but he preferred to get the boot. Login/Join 
posted
Glad I am not a landlord. Those that are may relate to this commentary in today's WSJ.

Lakewood, Ohio

I went to my first eviction hearing in two years last week. I hadn’t evicted anybody, or lost any rents, during Covid. The neighborhood social-services agency had given out rent vouchers to six delinquent tenants of mine.

The tenant in apartment 403—a one-bedroom—was an exception. I had told him about the free rent money at the agency, but he never moved on it. His living room consisted of a sleeping bag, dozens of cigarette butts and a bong. Every Monday I knocked on his door to see if he was still there. He owed three months’ rent. On his application he had written “house painter.” But he was always home.

When my leasing agent rented to him seven months ago, the painter had been accompanied by his mother—always a good sign. He was 27. In hindsight we should have had mom cosign.

I wore a necktie and a polar fleece jacket to eviction court. A step up for me—the necktie. The policeman at the courtroom metal detector said to me, “Counsel?”

“No, landlord,” I said.

I sat on a bench outside the hearing room, wondering if the defendant would show. Several days earlier I’d told him: “You might want to move out ahead of time to avoid a public record, to avoid an eviction.” He texted me back: “You’re going to have to go through the eviction process while I work things out.”

I was paying for his heat, cooking gas, water and roof. That was annoying. I like to pick my charities, and he wasn’t one of them. I called his mother. Her name was on the application. She said, “I thought you were going to tell me my son is dead.” I knew what she was talking about.

Seven years ago, a 30-year-old tenant died from gunshot wounds in the same apartment building. The fatality was initially listed as a “suspicious death.” There were bullet holes in the bedroom wall. The detective told me, “I know more than you do.” For sure, he did. I was hoping it was a suicide, because that’s better than a murder, from a landlord’s perspective. A murder would have cleared the building out. The shooting was eventually declared a suicide, and I put up a note in the building entrance about a “suicide by gunfire.” Then I crossed out “by gunfire.” Everybody had heard the shots. Nobody needed to be reminded of it.

Last week, when I knocked—again—on the painter’s door, I said, “I’m just checking to see if you’re still here. I don’t want to go to court if I don’t have to.”

“Still here,” he said, smirking à la Dude, leave me alone.

“I called your mother,” I said. “She thought I was going to tell her you’re dead. Get it together, man.”

No response. No smirk.

He didn’t show up for the proceeding. He got “red-tagged”—evicted. I asked the magistrate to give us possession of the apartment in 10 days. Sometimes the court goes out 14. I got the 10 days—a pyrrhic victory. If the painter isn’t out by Sunday, I need to contact a locksmith, bailiff and policeman to change the lock. I predict the tenant will be gone. The cigarette butts—not gone. I’ll take that. Could be a lot worse.

LINK: https://www.wsj.com/articles/m..._opin_pos_3#cxrecs_s

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Reads almost like a noir novel

Posts: 10213 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Gonna stink badly, yuck

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 6003 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:

It does.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:

It does! I heard it in my head as I was reading it in Marv's voice from Sin City.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Couldn't be bothered to go get his free money so he could have his free housing. Guess he's free now.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post