SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto Headlight Bulbs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto Headlight Bulbs Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I have a front headlight bulb out on my 2006 Jeep Commander and need to replace it.
I thought I would replace all the front bulbs, High (9005SU), Low(9006SU), Fog(9145).
If there is a upgraded bulb that's what I would like to install.
I have read that the Silver-star bulbs have a very short life.
I do Not want to change to anything NOT made for my style of headlight housing.
I despise drivers who put bulbs into non compliant housing and blind other drivers.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“I do Not want to change to anything NOT made for my style of headlight housing.
I despise drivers who put bulbs into non compliant housing and blind other drivers.”

Thank you. Me too.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope this helps. God Bless Smile

https://www.sylvania-automotiv...arId=14111&oepn=9006

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was going to start a thread with a question, but it seems appropriate to piggy-back here.

I remember years ago, you could buy a kit that consisted of a plastic box with holes in it (sort of like a 50-pack of ammunition), containing one or two of each bulb that you might need. Keep it in the glove box, so you would always have a replacement handy if a bulb burned out.

These were configured for specific vehicles.

Are these still sold? If so, where can you buy one?

I'm looking specifically for a 2010 Ford Edge that currently has a backup light (921) and front parking light (4157A) burned out. I'd like to have one or two of each bulb that the vehicle might need, on hand.

I do not want to convert to LEDs, I want to stick with the same type that Mr. Ford put in the car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced my OEMs with LEDs.

Slightly brighter, has the same beam pattern and should last as long as the car rather than every 2-3 years for the halogens.

There are lots of brands some are better than others and some fit one brand/year and not another well.

You need to do research on your particular vehicle.

Room for the heat sink is the issue, One side on mine barely had room

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I liked these on my old 2003 Honda Civic:

https://www.sylvania-automotiv...-pack/H11ST.BP2.html

Definitely good idea on your part to replace all of them. When I change my bulbs, I always replace them in pairs. On the old Civic, I had to take the bumper cover off so I would replace all bulbs. Taking that cover off was a pain in the ass and I wanted to have to do it as least as possible.

Posts: 13092 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
After trying aftermarket a few times, I’ve gone back to OEM H11 bulbs.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m having replacement bulb issues now on low beam, as both OEM went out within a week of each other. I too wanted a bit brighter, not obnoxious level. I’ve tried the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra and they lasted only a few months. They are not worth the money and an O’Reilly employee recommended a $12 bulb that I put in Monday. I worked late the last two nights and I cannot tell the difference in the $12 vs $40 bulb in my car.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I upgraded the OEM headlamps in my 2015 Cherokee with Silverstar and when one blew out under warranty, Sylvania had a new set on my doorstep in two days. No questions asked.

They’re MUCH better than the factory bulbs and don’t cause any idiot lights to come on due to voltage issues.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for headlights bulbs/xenon etc. i like hella bulbs.

https://myhellalights.com/product-category/bulbs/

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alteon180e:
hella bulbs.

https://myhellalights.com/product-category/bulbs/

Dang! I wish I'd thought of Hella. I just put some Sylvania headlight bulbs into my truck last night....

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
I despise drivers who put bulbs into non compliant housing and blind other drivers

I put some LED's in our third car/daughters ride, a 2013 Kia Sorento. I did have to adjust the headlights, they were way high. I have asked here to tell me if people flash her while driving at night, nothing yet..

These

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have been installed for a year now, no problems

quote:
They are not worth the money and an O’Reilly employee recommended a $12 bulb that I put in Monday. I worked late the last two nights and I cannot tell the difference in the $12 vs $40 bulb in my car

He probably sold you a bulk packaged bulb meant for their commercial customers, same bulb, way cheaper

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I was a long time Silverstar user, never had one burn out.

Put a set of LEDs in the F150 I had & it was a huge improvement. My dad did the same in my sister's CRV & his Yukon XL Denali.

Planning on doing the same with my Malibu, but it requires removing the bumper & the headlight housing, so I'll wait until I can get high/low bulbs & all the blinker/marker bulbs too, and do it all at once.

Part of the trick with LED replacements, is finding one that has the chip board in the same place as the incandescent filament. Some of them have the measurement diagrams listed.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15269 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
FWIW, I upgraded the OEM headlamps in my 2015 Cherokee with Silverstar and when one blew out under warranty, Sylvania had a new set on my doorstep in two days. No questions asked.

They’re MUCH better than the factory bulbs and don’t cause any idiot lights to come on due to voltage issues.

-Rob

I gave up on Silverstars after going through several sets and none of them lasting more than 1 year. You have to be really careful to not get the oils from your hands on them which cuts their life but unless you're wearing tight latex gloves, it's virtually impossible the way you have to maneuver your arm and hand to change bulbs in a lot of cars now. One car I couldn't 't even do it myself, they had to be changed out with the car on a lift.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
This isn't a complicated answer once you know how the Silvertars work and it's easy to see why they appeal to people but are to be avoided.

In the plainest of terms, the Silverstars are overdriven. They put out a lot of light at the expense of longevity and it's bright light too. Too bright without being gimmicked up to address it.

The life of a Silverstar is around 150 hours, give or take. That's a very short life. A standard halogen might live for 800 to 1k hours but at the known output that you want to improve. There is an answer to this however.

When shopping for bulbs, you want to avoid any bulb that has a blue or purple tint on the bulb housing. They use this to cut down the transmitted light through the colored filter to make it whatever brightness they want to market and they have to do it on overdriven lights to get them back into a color that's not harsh but also makes the consumer think they are getting a super upgrade.

This is why they poop out.

What's the answer? The Sylvania Xtra Vision. It's an increased brightness halogen bulb without any blue or purple tint on the housing. It's brighter over the standard headlight by around 40% but that comes at a cost of reduced bulb life. The life of these bulbs is around 500 hours.

Silverstars are expensive and last around 200 hours if they don't break before then and some do. Xtravision are cheaper and last around 500 hours and standard bulbs are the cheapest and last around 800 hours.

Posts: 4075 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post