SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two-part question about coffee grinders
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two-part question about coffee grinders Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
First, is it worth grinding one's own beans in the first place? Is it that much better than pre-ground? Second, blade or burr grinder? Blades are cheaper, but I would think a burr would grind the beans finer and expose more surface area to the water instead of just slicing them up.

Posts: 27992 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it’s worth it. Fresher, better tasting coffee.

Burr grinder. It grinds more consistency and you can hit a predetermined grind size from percolater to expresso.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We mostly grind. Blade. I am so so on how much better/fresher. Wife likes it. I could go either way myself.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19229 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
First a burr grinder is what you want. Wife and I have been distributing a particular coffee brand to grocery outlets for about 7 years now. I'm retired but she's still doing it. I've heard people say a million times when they come down the coffee aisle in the store. "Oh that smells so good" and they go to the bulk dispensers and grind their own through the grinder in the store. The reason it smells so good is that's the smell of the coffee beans going stale. Those bulk containers are nowhere near air tight.

You're better off buying in bags that are vacuumed sealed. Whether you're better off grinding your own or just buying ground is personal opinion. I'm not a coffee snob even after being in the business. When I get up I don't want to do a lot of prep work. I just want a cup of coffee. The Kuerig K Cup works fine for me.

I will add that the sound of the grinder in the morning can be quite harsh if you're a little groggy from the night before. Big Grin

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Yes, it’s worth it. Fresher, better tasting coffee.

Burr grinder. It grinds more consistency and you can hit a predetermined grind size from percolater to expresso.

^^^ What tatortodd and Lastmanstanding said.

ETA: I've been using this Conical Burr Grinder and have been happy with it.

Posts: 1806 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Used a Krups-blade for ages----always knew conical burr is better. Got a Baratza Virtuoso for xmas - use less beans than with blade----better brew---nicer all around

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes

Burr grinder

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes

Burr

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just got a Capresso burr grinder, haven’t even had it long enough to know exactly what grind setting is best. We had a blade grinder for a long time—didn’t even use it. If there was a locally roasted coffee that we liked, I would just buy 12 oz packages and have them grind it. I can’t, so we bought the burr grinder and sent away for coffee.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Not even close! When you control all the variables. You want the best cup for your money and effort.
Whole beans, roasted fresh preferably.
Burr grinder, control grind size, no dust.
Water temp 195-205.
Water source, hard well water absolutely not.
Brewing system. You can't beat a pour over system, cheap and outstanding coffee.
Hario glass, goose neck & burr grinder <$100.
Proper bean storage.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bet you a dollar that our “hard well water,” tastes better than whatever you have.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Burr grinder is better than a blade one because the blade will simply chop the beans into tiny pieces of various sizes, while a burr will make the pieces approx. the same size. And grinding right before brewing does make a difference in taste.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Yes.

After much research I settled on the OXO BREW Conical Burr Coffee Grinder.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Con...rinder/dp/B07CSKGLMM

While researching the grinder, I also discovered OXO has great reviews on their coffee maker, and ended up picking it up as well.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Bar...710100/dp/B00YEYKK8U

Never bought anything from OXO before, so have no brand loyalty to them. This combo makes for an impressive cup of joe without breaking the bank for some of the super high end coffee appliances.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Burr grinder is better than a blade one because the blade will simply chop the beans into tiny pieces of various sizes, while a burr will make the pieces approx. the same size. And grinding right before brewing does make a difference in taste.

Besides the grind being very uneven, it is also really easy to heat the beans enough to ruin the flavor or even burn them in a blade grinder.

Blade grinders are terrible for grinding coffee.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have two Kitchenaid grinders, one maybe 15 y.o, the other maybe 20. Have had a number of others before that, various brands. Tne KA's are the best yet. Haven't looked at new ones for a long time, no need.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I used to buy whole beans vacuum-sealed, and grind via blade by the pot. Went to the same brand but factory-ground, and do a pour-over by the cup.

What the grounds may or may not lack is made up by making each cup fresh. The coffee seems fresh when I cut open the foil; a bag does not last much more than a week.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
First, is it worth grinding one's own beans in the first place? Is it that much better than pre-ground?

Unquestionably yes. I'll explain why below.

quote:
Second, blade or burr grinder?

Unquestionably burr

quote:
Blades are cheaper, but I would think a burr would grind the beans finer and expose more surface area to the water instead of just slicing them up.

Whirlyblade grinders are cheaper because they're easier to make. And your thinking is almost right. The problems with whirlyblade grinders are two-fold: 1. They produce an inconsistent grind and they generate a lot of powder. 2. They can actually burn the grind.

Now, as to why grinding right before brewing is so much better than pre-ground.

The enemy of roasted coffee beans is air. Air oxidizes the beans. That's what staleness is. The rate of oxidization is proportional the the amount of exposed area. When you grind beans you increase the area exposed to air by orders of magnitude. Thus you increase the rate of oxidization by orders of magnitude.

I once did an unintentional experiment. A buddy had given me 1-1/2 lbs. of fresh-roasted estate coffees over Christmas/New Year. I decided to bring my coffee to work. First two days I ground the beans the night before. The coffee the next morning just wasn't what it should have been. "Could it be the coffee geeks were right all along, and ground coffee really does go stale overnight?" So the 3rd day I ground them right before brewing. Lo and behold: The coffee that morning was as great as it should have been.

Now, mind you: Good coffee, freshly, and properly roasted. Good burr grinder. Decent brewer, with metal mesh filter. Proper ratio of water:coffee.

It all counts.

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Bet you a dollar that our “hard well water,” tastes better than whatever you have.

Indeed.

Our hard well water is filtered by a 20 micron filter before it hits the softener, then coffee and drinking water are filtered though Brita pitchers. That water tastes so good, after that, I swear we could bottle and sell it. Best of all: No chlorine in it.

City water? After you've been on good well water for a while, you can turn on a city water tap and smell the chlorine.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Not much else to add but one important item: an airtight vacuum seal container for your beans. Tried to look through my amazon orders but can’t find it. It’s a metal can with plastic lid and an inner lid that you push down to expel the air and lock the air out.

You could also get something to heat your water to the right temperature. I got one brand breville that you can select based on green tea, regular tea, and coffee.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19700 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Test Kitchen did a coffee grinder review that is very helpful: Test Kitchen Coffee Grinder Review

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's definitely worth it. I have a blade grinder, but when I gave a grinder as a gift, I got them a burr grinder.

quote:

I have very hard well water, but it tastes wonderful. The water does impact the outcome, so if your tap water sucks, you should buy bottled.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post