SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any aquarium enthusiasts out there?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any aquarium enthusiasts out there? Login/Join 
posted
Always had them since I was a kid. Oscars, big ones, could feed them from my hands.
For many years I had a dozen tanks in my house. I bred Angel fish, African Chichlids
and would sell them to local fish stores. Hatched the brine shrimp. Reverse osmosis
filters. It's been 15 years, maybe get a 90 gallon and freshwater plants. I have CO2
tanks. Any advice for a freshwater plant tank?

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
In my youth. Fresh water. Thinking about getting back into it.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Used to have a 72 gallon saltwater setup, then added a 40 gallon nano setup. It was one of my many hobbies. Never took it to the reef level.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I did as a kid, kept just about everything freshwater including most predators. I started again when my kids were young and did a CO2 planted freshwater, had some cool fish breed in our tanks, moved into saltwater, and then into reefing. I am down to one nano reef tank which houses a clown fish I have had for the last 13 years and coral I’ve had even longer. I have dreams of building out a large fully autonomous system but don’t think I have the time to invest fully in the idea. We had a reef tank heater fail while we were on a trip about five years ago and electrocuted every living thing in the tank destroying nearly three thousand dollars worth of coral and livestock.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yup. My last fish just died. Had a skimmer that went faulty and electrocuted my entire tank a year or two back. Killed 10 yr old corals, fish and inverts alike. I never recovered from it, and haven’t rebuilt it beyond an occasional fish. I guess I’m afraid to invest all that again and lose it to a fluke.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5321 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate when my reef tank went tits up that I had another system full of coral frags from the main display tank. These days, most of my dosing supplements are paid for with coral frags from my tank. I haven’t bought or needed to replace a SW fish for 4+ years. There is one coral that I didn’t have fragged that bothers me to this day.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I was the same as you - did it for years and then had stopped for about 5 years. Then my next door neighbor gave me a 28 Gal Nano Cube - he had a reef in it but I never did anything Salt water. I cleaned it out and went fresh - medium fine substrate and plants. I went with the easy button and got the plants healthy and then added the fish and 3 Amano's to clean up. I've got Cardinal's, Blue Rams, Honey Dwarf Gourami's, Cory Cats, Panda Garra's, a couple of Clown dwarf pleco's, and I let it run. Plant to fish ratio is good - I do a water change about every 10 days and keep the plants healthy with fertilizer. I had never tried a C02 system - thought about it, but with the plants I have I don't need it. Garra's, Pleco's and Amano's take care of the algae - My recommendation is to get everything going with your plants, maybe for about 30 days or until they are going well and rooted. Then start adding your fish and inverts. I'm a firm believer that healthy plants keep your tank healthy.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3925 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've never done a plant tank. CO2 seems to be needed, and some seem to say you'll want some soil under a layer of gravel or sand.

Let us know what you do.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I had a 70 gallon with African Cichlids when I was in middle/high school. My Mom thought it was going to be a neat project. She got a little bit freaked out when I drug the garden hose through the front door and upstairs to my room to fill up the tank!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TheDash6
posted Hide Post
Definitely! My thing was the large, clumsy-swimming fancy goldfish, such as the Oranda and Ranchu varieties. These are usually imported from China or Thailand.

I kept a 75 gallon and 125 gallon with dual canister filters and an Emperor 25watt UV sterilizer. Fun stuff.

~ In search of the finer things ~

Posts: 39 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: March 31, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Probably old news to you but are you familiar with Aquatics and Exotics down in Mt. Healthy?
Had a buddy in High School big into Cichlid tanks he was a frequent customer there.
Always did enjoy checking out all they had to offer but never got into any tanks myself.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25425 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Yup. My last fish just died. Had a skimmer that went faulty and electrocuted my entire tank a year or two back. Killed 10 yr old corals, fish and inverts alike. I never recovered from it, and haven’t rebuilt it beyond an occasional fish. I guess I’m afraid to invest all that again and lose it to a fluke.

Sorry about your and dkings loss. I know reef tanks take a long time to become established.
I always kept one 55 community tank. I think Tiger Barbs were my favorite. Would keep 15-20
and loved to watch them school around.

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Probably old news to you but are you familiar with Aquatics and Exotics down in Mt. Healthy?
Had a buddy in High School big into Cichlid tanks he was a frequent customer there.
Always did enjoy checking out all they had to offer but never got into any tanks myself.

Yes. But I think it had a different name. Bought many fish there. My favorite was
House of Tropicals in Delhi.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

I miss my Discus tank.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Not an enthusiast

I have a 125gal salt tank, 175gal fresh and a 40gal fresh. I keep them maintained for the Mrs.

I hate them, pain in the ass. Fish are stupid Razz

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My friend has about 4 tanks freshwater going. Very cool when I visit. I thought about having one then decided not to since I can barely take care of myself. My cat agrees.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It got to be a PITA to keep them clean, water changes etc.
Maybe I'll try just one freshwater plant tank.

posted Hide Post
I started with a 20 gal at the start of covid for something to do. I shortly upgraded to a 75, a 40 breeder and a 20Long. The 75 is heavily planted (no CO2) community tank (platys, congo tetras, odessa barbs, couple blue gularis killis and a pair of electric blue acara. Love watching the fish in that tank.

The 20 long has a small (8) neolamprologis caudopunctatus in it and a heavy cap of water lettuce.

The 40 breeder is cycling and I may try some native/north american fish - something in the sunfish family. I kept a couple bluegills growing up and they were absolute murder machines so I'll probably stick with something smaller (orange spot if i can find them or bluespot sunfish) and do a species only tank.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I did tons of small freshwater setups as a kid, loved it. Just thinking about it brings back great memories. I was a fancy guppy man myself, loved live bearers, wasn't interested in egg layers. Some Mollies too. Once I put an african something or another in a tank of guppies. You can imagine the carnage. That was the last mistake I ever made with any fish in the cichlid families.

I never made it past 20 gallons, couldn't afford it delivering papers and mowing lawns, but damn it was great fun. If I didn't have so much responsibility now, and more income, I think I'd enjoy building and maintaining a medium freshwater setup.

I never had enough balls or money to learn about saltwater setups making the same mistakes along the way I did with freshwater fish. But back then there was no internet or personal computers to help with any of that.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post