SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Identity theft protection company LifeLock exposed the email addresses of up to 55 million users through a flaw on its website
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identity theft protection company LifeLock exposed the email addresses of up to 55 million users through a flaw on its website Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
https://krebsonsecurity.com/20...mer-email-addresses/

LifeLock Bug Exposed Millions of Customer Email Addresses

Identity theft protection firm LifeLock — a company that’s built a name for itself based on the promise of helping consumers protect their identities online — may have actually exposed customers to additional attacks from ID thieves and phishers. The company just fixed a vulnerability on its site that allowed anyone with a Web browser to index email addresses associated with millions of customer accounts, or to unsubscribe users from all communications from the company.

The upshot of this weakness is that cyber criminals could harvest the data and use it in targeted phishing campaigns that spoof LifeLock’s brand. Of course, phishers could spam the entire world looking for LifeLock customers without the aid of this flaw, but nevertheless the design of the company’s site suggests that whoever put it together lacked a basic understanding of Web site authentication and security.

Pictured above is a redacted screen shot of one such record (click the image to enlarge). Notice how the format of the link in the browser address bar ends with the text “subscriberkey=” followed by a number. Each number corresponds to a customer record, and the records appear to be sequential. Translation: It would be trivial to write a simple script that pulls down the email address of every LifeLock subscriber.

Security firm Symantec, which acquired LifeLock in November 2016 for $2.3 billion, took LifeLock.com offline shortly after being contacted by KrebsOnSecurity. According to LifeLock’s marketing literature as of January 2017, the company has more than 4.5 million customer accounts.

KrebsOnSecurity was alerted to the glaring flaw by Nathan Reese, a 42-year-old freelance security researcher based in Atlanta who is also a former LifeLock subscriber. Reese said he discovered the data leak after receiving an email to the address he had previously used at LifeLock, and that the message offered him a discount for renewing his membership.

Clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email brought up a page showing his subscriber key. From there, Reese said, he wrote a proof-of-concept script that began sequencing numbers and pulling down email addresses. Reese said he stopped the script after it enumerated approximately 70 emails because he didn’t want to set off alarm bells at LifeLock.

“If I were a bad guy, I would definitely target your customers with a phishing attack because I know two things about them,” Reese said. “That they’re a LifeLock customer and that I have those customers’ email addresses. That’s a pretty sharp spear for my spear phishing right there. Plus, I definitely think the target market of LifeLock is someone who is easily spooked by the specter of cybercrime.”

Misconfigurations like the one described above are some of the most common ways that companies leak customer data, but they’re also among the most preventable. Earlier this year, KrebsOnSecurity broke a story about a similar flaw at Panerabread.com, which exposed tens of millions of customer records — including names, email and physical addresses, birthdays and the last four digits of the customer’s credit card.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I never really trusted them. Something about the background of their founder bothered me.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11106 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
d-oh...

thats gonna leave a scar...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Their ads featured the ceo's social security number. They had to stop because he kept getting his identity stolen.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
suggests that whoever put it together lacked a basic understanding of Web site authentication and security

This pretty much describes every website in existence at some level.

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago the database for the clearinghouse for security clearances got hacked...which is to say that the personal data for tens of millions of personnel who hold or have held security clearances...was taken. That data is far, far more comprehensive than any other database, and extends far beyond our own lives.

That database has quite literally every detail about the individual, as well as his or her family, friends, neighbors, former landlords, you name it. Not only was my information taken, but numerous other people that I know directly or peripherally were contacted to say the breach had occurred, and offered a year of monitoring. Ironically, while my data was taken, it seems I was the only one on my list NOT contacted with the warning.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone waste money on that crap?
Just do a credit freeze.
Costs little to nothing and works.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Gee, what a shock. But, I'm certain that the financial institutions that place personal information on "the cloud" have no flaws whatsoever in their system software.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MG34_Dan,

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2197 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
If you're a computer systems person, it's no surprise that LOTS of systems have LOTS of security flaws. One reason for this, besides unqualified or overworked IT staff, is that many systems are enterprise class canned systems that companies purchase to run parts of their organization. Because these purchased systems are very large, it means they've been in existence for a long time, and are running code that is out of date as far as security goes, because when the systems were originally written, security was not a big issue. And because they are canned systems, you can't really plug the security holes because 1) you'd break the application, and 2) you'd void the software support warranty. Another problem is newer systems may be built the old fashioned way, by hand stick by stick, so to speak, so you're going to have tons of security holes that you don't even know you're creating. But I think overall it's the same old problem - hire unqualified people, get bad results. Not giving your IT people the tools they need to secure your own systems, get bad results. The list goes on and on. Computer systems security is very broad and deep, which is a remarkable development when you consider that just a few decades ago, external systems security wasn't even a thing so to speak.

My information has been hacked in all of the leaks we've learned about over the years, and I've never exercised any of the free offers to sign up with a monitoring agency. The reason is the exact situation that this thread is about; if my bank and the US Pentagon can't secure my data, why would I give that information to yet another TARGET RICH system, aka, anti-identity theft company databases. That's just insane.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Lifelock now uses Norton Internet Security. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 27620 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Just do a credit freeze.

+1

This is my approach. Any reason it could fail?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
Gee, what a shock. But, I'm certain that the financial institutions that place personal information on "the cloud" have much no flaws whatsoever in their system software.

That's right. This new Cloud Architecture will be the next, and largest of all, target rich environments to date for cyber criminals. It is being pushed HARD to IT organizations, and it's a matter of time before the news headline reads that a large and sophisticated cybercrime organization hacks into large cloud systems, compromising not just one company's data, but potentially lots or all of the companies renting space and service in any one cloud provider. One undiscovered break in could destroy a cloud provider in addition to compromising all the companies, banks, and military databases and systems running on it. Eventually the cloud will overtake existing architectures, but I'm not on board as far as computer security goes. It's hard enough to secure your own system, let alone everyone else's data systems in a large distributed cloud system. Efficient cost-effective scaling, yes, security, not so much when up against serious hacking organizations - nation states, cyber crime syndicates, etc. Good luck with that.

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Lifelock now uses Norton Internet Security. Roll Eyes

Excellent.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
One day, you're gonna wake up to the headline "Every account of any kind on the planet hacked"

Everyone, everywhere, will have all your data.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Identity theft protection company LifeLock exposed the email addresses of up to 55 million users through a flaw on its website

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The company I work for installs a security patch to my laptop every week. Every week for as long as I can remember. It’s a never ending game I guess.

As for e-mail addresses, I bet anyone and everyone has them already.

Posts: 3974 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
One day, you're gonna wake up to the headline "Every account of any kind on the planet hacked"

Already the case. Most are simply in the dark enough to not know it.

Privacy is an illusion.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I never really trusted them. Something about the background of their founder bothered me.

Your link is a massive click-bait site. Mad

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Already the case. Most are simply in the dark enough to not know it.

Privacy is an illusion.
Oh, how dramatic

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Just do a credit freeze.

+1

This is my approach. Any reason it could fail?

It costs nothing per the article in radioman's post above (a good, but long, read). The article points out though:

quote:
Customers pay LifeLock $10 a month to call a credit bureau every three months and put a fraud alert on an account. By law, if one bureau is notified, it must alert the other two.

So in essence, you're paying them $120/yr to do something four times ($30 per effort) which you could do on your own - if you are disciplined enough to remember.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post