SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tires for the work truck. :^O
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tires for the work truck. :^O Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Well, I needed 5 new tires. Holy moly, I remember buying new tires for $23 each. Well, there was a $4 install charge, too. At least now they don't charge for installation but at $1192.50 for 5 tires they should include a meal and massage before screwing you like that. Big Grin

The OEM Firestone tires that were on there were really rough riding. You could feel every crack in the road. I opted for Yokohama Geolandars and, just like the time I got them on my old work truck, they really smoothed out the ride. I hope these last a bit longer than the Firestones.

Posts: 45466 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mark, new tires are cool. Their cost, not so much. 10 ply?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19524 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
How many miles on the Firestones?

Posts: 5441 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Add another $300 & that was the cost to replace 4 tires on our Expedition Razz
20in LTX Defender MS2

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15750 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Congrats Mark, new tires are cool. Their cost, not so much. 10 ply?
I think they are 3 Ply. Not sure. Load rating E. I often carry 2000 lbs in the bed.

Posts: 45466 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I have 25501 miles on the truck. The rears were replaced once at somewhere around 11000. I got 5 new tires this time because at the last state inspection the mechanic swapped the spare onto one of the rear tires. I have been driving a year with the tire pressure warning because the spare didn't have a TPMS.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Load E is 10 ply Mark

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19524 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Load E is 10 ply Mark
Good info. Thanks.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
I have 25501 miles on the truck. The rears were replaced once at somewhere around 11000. I got 5 new tires this time because at the last state inspection the mechanic swapped the spare onto one of the rear tires. I have been driving a year with the tire pressure warning because the spare didn't have a TPMS.

So you only got 14k miles on the rears?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10536 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
$1192.50 for 5 tires

In 2016 I paid around $800 for four 10 ply Wrangler DuraTrac truck tires. So with inflation and the 5th tire, what you paid sounds about right.

I have about 30,000 on mine and they have been great. Looks like they could go another 30k.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

So you only got 14k miles on the rears?
Yeah, they seem a bit short lived.

Saluki
posted Hide Post
14k unfortunately is common for a work truck, especially one that only works. My old Chevy 3/4t was regularly towing farm wagons and goose necks loaded extremely heavy. The wagons put no tongue weight down so spinning the tires was simple.

If it’s a business you’re always hurrying to the next job. Tires put the power to the ground, a little slip is to be expected.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5204 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, they seem a bit short lived

That blows

I recall the 10 ply Bridgestones they used to use, can't remember the name but it wasn't uncommon to see 50-60k miles on them

Posts: 5441 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Those tires seem to have good reviews so hopefully they'll last a lot longer.
The mileage you got from the Firestones sounds exceptionally low.

Posts: 9718 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
The trade-off with tires is grip vs. longevity. The sticky track tires I would buy for my Corvette only lasted 8 - 10, 1 hour track days. Less than that, if I was a better driver
BTW, the track tires were ~$1500 for four of them.

Posts: 573 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post