SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Timeshares: Are they a good thing or a bad thing?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timeshares: Are they a good thing or a bad thing? Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
This time of year, as we visit our favorite spots, it seems like it might be fun to make future plans to visit again... and its inevitable that someone approaches us with the idea of buying a timeshare for those future plans.

We normally resist. We even resist the free money/stuff they offer for listening to their sales pitch. After all personal finance expert Dave Ramsey says timeshares are very bad.

But the mind strays, Dave Ramsey is also the person who doesn't want me to have a credit card, but I have one and it's not a problem. Maybe he's wrong about time shares too.

I know some people who have timeshares and they seem happy with them. They book their rooms, go there, play some golf, hang out at the pool bar, and generally have a good time.

So, are timeshares a good thing or a bad thing? Maybe it depends on the company??? I've heard the Disney Vacation Club point system (which is really a timeshare system) is pretty good.

anyone here have any advice on whether to continue to avoid them, or maybe there are some good deals lurking. maybe even in the "second hand" timeshare market.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad thing.

P229

Posts: 3836 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I can't believe anyone thinks time shares are a good thing. The sales tactics they have to use to sell them are enough to make me never even think about it. But then I also don't do resort vacations and couldn't care less about amenities or sun, beach, pools, golf, etc. I worked a trade show once for the time share industry. A neighboring booth was displaying software they had developed for testing sales job candidates. Their program was designed to weed out people who weren't going to make it before an employer went through the hassle or hiring and training them.

Posts: 3543 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They are thought to be bad because they often last essentially forever, and cannot be undone. You get saddled with some of the costs of ownership without really being an owner. Most also think that the price you pay, all told, is higher than you would pay for a simple rental for something equivalent.

It can be hard to compare the price of a timeshare to an equivalent rental because the timeshare people will not be forthcoming about all the costs that will eventually be associated with owning your little share.

Plus, are you really going to want to return to Miami Beach, year in and year out, essentially forever? What if you want to go to Aspen next year?

I have heard a lot more negative stories than positive ones when it comes to a timeshare.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Very bad thing. I have had three friends try to give me theirs and I would not take them. The fees and management troubles make them a bad deal.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1490 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
There is an entire industry that has developed around helping people get out of timeshare contracts. That is a big clue as to whether they are a good thing or a bad thing.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I heard it said once, "A timeshare is nothing more than pre-paying for your vacation."

Posts: 2311 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Avoid at all costs! Scam artists plain and simple.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16244 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
For chrissakes, hell no.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not a great investment, in fact its more of committing a life long term contract to drain money from your wallet.

They can encumber you, your family, estate and heirs to a never ending string of payments, run, run far and fast.

These things have high commissions and high fees, there are no limits on how high they can raise the costs of your timeshare for the building, 10 years from now if they decide it needs a facelift, all new furnishings, you get the bill...

Best thing to do is to rent a timeshare off someone that owns it.

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Best thing ever!!! For the people selling them. For the buyer though, not so much.

Posts: 10976 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They mostly are a very bad purchase,

I know one person that is happy with theirs.

They have a week at a ski lodge Martin Luther King week.

Everyone else that has had one is sorry they bought it. Or found a way to get out of it.

I once was hired for a good money to sit at a get out your time share seminar and notarize documents for the company.

About 150 at the seminar and 20% signed up.
I forget how much they were charged to get them out of it, but it was not cheap.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Ramsey doesn't say don't have a credit card.

Ramsey says don't use your credit card to live on. Pay it off in full every month and a cc is a useful tool.

We own a timeshare. About 30 years ago my dad bought a weeks timeshare on Hilton Head Island on a PBS television fundraiser auction. It was a condo a couple blocks off the beach near Coligny Plaza and it was for the week after Thanksgiving. Seems like dad paid $800 for the week. When he passed in 1997 the hassle of transferring the property was more than it was worth so it's still in dad's name and my wife and sister use it every year. Maintenance fee is now over $1000 but the condo is nice and the beach is cool with the big crowds gone.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know who has or has had a timeshare hated it.

My sister and her husband had one for a while and they could never get any dates they wanted so it was effectively useless.

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Some are a bad deal and the rest are a really bad deal that lasts forever. Many times people will pay you to take theirs over.
Other than that..........

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
There is an entire industry that has developed around helping people get out of timeshare contracts. That is a big clue as to whether they are a good thing or a bad thing.

That alone says it all.

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea you are reading Ramsey wrong. I’m not a disciple but I can’t argue that his way works if you follow it. I would say if you aren’t a dumbass and have some modicum of impulse control you don’t need a book/seminar/life coach to tell you how to live within a budget that actually bears a semblance of reality compared to your income and not rack up debt. Yet many do need that exact thing.

Ramsey isn’t wrong on timeshares either. Run far and fast. What else would you buy knowing you will pay for the rest of your life and probably never be able to sell? The answer is......nothing.

Run away.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Run don't walk from timeshare ownership.

Awake not woke

Posts: 569 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Ramsey doesn't say don't have a credit card.

Ramsey says don't use your credit card to live on. Pay it off in full every month and a cc is a useful tool.

Agreed. Ramsey doesn't like people racking up unsustainable credit card debt.

As for time shares, they have NEVER appealed to me. Why get locked into ONE location for life? Maybe I want to go skiing this year. Maybe I want to go to the beach, or the mountains (Rockies, or Appalachians, or the Denali Range), or Hawaii, or I can't go on vacation at all. Maybe the ONE week I have available to go on vacation is already taken by somebody else . . .

There is NO WAY I would ever get in a time share. Of course, I have no experience with them, so what do I know.? .? .?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should tell you something that on every divorce case I worked on where a timeshare was owned, the couple fought over who got stuck with it instead of who got to keep it.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post