SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LED landscape lighting bulbs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED landscape lighting bulbs Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a good quality G4 bi pin 12v led bulb to put in my outdoor landscape lights. The fixtures are good quality solid copper lights that originally came with halogen bulbs. I have replace the halogen with LED but the LED bulbs keep failing in less than a year. Most of the bulbs that I see on Amazon have Chinese names that I can't even pronounce and they all have reviews that complain about failures.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a G4 bi pin 12v led bulb that will actually last in outdoor landscape fixtures.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is your transformer up to snuff? halogen is pretty forgiving of crappy power adapters - enough I & V & you get light. LED is more finicky.

You might be getting low V, high V, AC ripple, etc.

Multiple bulbs failing multiple times says something. Chinese get it right at least some of the time.

Posts: 3299 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a ton of 12v DC LED g4 bulbs. In the marine industry, most yachts have tons of G4 fixtures...…

Which type bulb are you looking for, the ones that look like a g4 halogen in shape (these have not been so durable), or the wafer type? What size/color are you looking for? Lumiron's have been very good as well as Scandvik brand.

I agree that you need to put a multimeter on the system and see what voltage you're getting and if it's steady although most LED will work with a good variance of voltage, then put it on AC and see if you're getting any AC leaking through. AC on DC lightbulbs will fry them in a heartbeat.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I use a ton of 12v DC LED g4 bulbs. In the marine industry, most yachts have tons of G4 fixtures...…

Which type bulb are you looking for, the ones that look like a g4 halogen in shape (these have not been so durable), or the wafer type? What size/color are you looking for? Lumiron's have been very good as well as Scandvik brand.

I agree that you need to put a multimeter on the system and see what voltage you're getting and if it's steady although most LED will work with a good variance of voltage, then put it on AC and see if you're getting any AC leaking through. AC on DC lightbulbs will fry them in a heartbeat.

Looking for the bulb shape style. 2700-3000k 2-3 watt this system is 12v ac.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Looking for the bulb shape style. 2700-3000k 2-3 watt this system is 12v ac.

I haven't messed with AC 12 volt ones, just higher voltage. But in DC, the bulb shaped ones have been very problematic with all of the brands we've tried. It might be heat or the size of the circuit board, IDK. The only other option is to get them locally from somewhere where you can warranty them out. Whereas I've installed 65 wafer style in a yacht back in 2014 that the owner uses often and in sealed G 4 fixtures and we haven't had a single one burn out in all that time, whereas the halogens 2 would burn out every week (probably from vibration).

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
You could try here.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/cate...4-bi-pin-base-lamps/

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them and none of it has been junk. I can't vouch for the specific G4 LED replacements they carry, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Jimmy mentioned; most of the outdoor low-voltage power supplies I've seen have just been transformers taking 110V AC down to 12V AC. If that is your case (either read the fine print on the power supply, or check with a meter), then you need bulbs specifically rated for 12V AC.

Lots of small LEDs are made for 12V DC only, and they won't be happy trying to run on AC.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Like Jimmy mentioned; most of the outdoor low-voltage power supplies I've seen have just been transformers taking 110V AC down to 12V AC. If that is your case (either read the fine print on the power supply, or check with a meter), then you need bulbs specifically rated for 12V AC.

Lots of small LEDs are made for 12V DC only, and they won't be happy trying to run on AC.

As I mentioned above the transformer is 12v ac output. The led bulbs that I have been using are rated for ac/dc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:

As I mentioned above the transformer is 12v ac output. The led bulbs that I have been using are rated for ac/dc.

Try finding ones that are rated AC only. AC and DC are far different.

posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/KINDEEP...keywords=kindeep+led

I bought these back in September, haven't had one burn out yet but it's still early. The halogens didn't seem to last, not sure if it's being outside in the elements or the quality of power or what. For around $2 a bulb I don't expect to get more than a few month's life being outside and all. Our lights run every day basically from sundown to sunrise on a mechanical timer.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post