SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Train enthusiasts - 'Big Boy' heading to Utah
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Train enthusiasts - 'Big Boy' heading to Utah Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
This would really be something to see. Half the length of a 747.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46...for-utah-celebration

quote:
CHEYENNE, Wyoming — When Utah celebrates the upcoming 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad, a star visitor will be something called “Big Boy.”

Railroad buffs don’t need to be told what it is, but for those who don’t know a coal-tender from a caboose, here’s the deal: Big Boy is one humongous locomotive.

There were actually 25 of them and one — just one — will be back on the rails and heading for Utah in early May for the first time in more than a half century.

“They very rapidly became legendary because of what it was designed to do,” said Ed Dickens, who oversees Union Pacific’s Big Boy restoration project. “It’s nearly a 7,000 horsepower locomotive.”

The massive steam engine weighs over 600 tons and is 132 feet long — about half the length of a Boeing 747. The restoration project has been quietly underway for more than two years in a nondescript Union Pacific building called the Steam Shop near downtown Cheyenne, Wyoming. Railroad enthusiasts have been buzzing about it for months, looking forward to Big Boy’s upcoming trip to Ogden.

“Everyone is very excited about this,” said Kristen South, Union Pacific’s director of corporate communications. “This has been a lot of hard work.”

Big Boy is the biggest steam locomotive ever built and, arguably, the most powerful. Union Pacific developed it in the 1940s to provide muscle for the war effort as the pace of railroad activity picked up during World War II. The need was greatest in Utah’s Echo Canyon which became a bit of a bottleneck for busy transcontinental train traffic.

“That power was used to pull heavy, heavy trains out of Ogden, Utah, to Green River, Wyoming,” Dickens said. “They reached a point where two tracks could only handle a specific amount or a certain amount of trains per day. They had to find a way to carry more cars per train. You needed a single locomotive that could pull a tremendous amount of tonnage. So when this locomotive came out, it was huge.”

The 25 Big Boys retired from active duty in 1960. Nonfunctional Big Boys still exist as huge stationary exhibits in city parks and historical displays. Engine 4014 in Cheyenne will be the first Big Boy in 59 years to hit the rails under its own steam.

“The first time it will be on the rails,” South said, “is when it leaves here and heads to Ogden.”

4014 is being refurbished to play a role — a big role — in Utah’s Golden Spike 150 celebration. It won’t make it to the primary sesquicentennial festivities on May 10 near Promontory — there are no longer any rails that Big Boy can travel on to reach the Golden Spike National Historical Park. Instead, Union Pacific is holding its own celebration May 9 at Ogden’s Union Station. Big Boy will be the guest of honor, a 20th-century marvel, returning to Utah to help celebrate a 19th-century milestone.

“There will be a lot of opportunities to see the locomotive,” South said, “to see the steam firing and to hear the whistle and those kind of historic things that you really just feel deep down in your gut.”

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Fox News had a short item on it this morning.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
So far there are around thirty YOUTUBE movies of this wondrous piece of engineering on its test runs around Wyoming...

Take a few minutes to see what that wonderful combination of dollars and hard work can achieve.

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw #4004 on display at a park in Cheyenne last summer. Impressive. Would like to see 4014 under steam. The big steam locomotives are quite expensive to operate. 4014 likely won’t log lots of miles.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the thread that showed it getting steam and whistle going.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9910061654

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wetrudgeon:
Saw #4004 on display at a park in Cheyenne last summer. Impressive. Would like to see 4014 under steam. The big steam locomotives are quite expensive to operate. 4014 likely won’t log lots of miles.

We trudge on.
I saw #4004 in Cheyenne back in 2009. I posted a couple of photos in the other tread on this subject.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wetrudgeon:

We trudge on.

It was converted to use fuel oil instead of coal. Lot less cost involved. If they are going to spend a few million to restore it to full working condition they are going to use it. UP likes to keep its history alive.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Union Pacific is just about the only railroad that understood nostalgia. Getting 4014 running again is fantastic!

Another can't-miss in the Union Pacific Heritage Fleet is #6936. A DDA40X. Eek

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Union Pacific is just about the only railroad that understood nostalgia. Getting 4014 running again is fantastic!

As a former BNSF employee I have to begrudgingly agree. Their steam shop up there in Cheyenne is impressive, love to see these old steam engines moving again.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
That's great. I enjoy stuff like this. I actually have the Marklin HO scale Big Boy. I am sure YouTube will have some nice videos.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3872 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post