SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally! Good news for the motorcyclists like myself who adore small high revving bikes.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally! Good news for the motorcyclists like myself who adore small high revving bikes. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
The late 1980’s to early 1990’s was a special time for Japanese motorcycles. Back then 400cc sport bikes had four carbs, four cylinders, sky high redlines and all packed into a small confidence inspiring package. Entry level bikes were exciting back then! I own two from that era and easily enjoy them as much as my 1000cc V twin sport bike and 1000cc super bike.

Fast forward to today and the 400cc category is still entry level but the performance took a back seat as the machines slowly became watered down shells of their former glory with focus shifted to MPGs and commuting. Well there is a light at the end of the tunnel! At least one 399cc inline four sport-bike with a sky high redline is coming back!!!!

The price is a little bit of a shock.($10,000) Ehh but maybe it shouldn’t be, the whole reason the high revving 400 fours went away was because the cost to manufacture a machine relative to its 600cc super sport competitors which ultimately won out. The 600’s sales are not as hot today so the moto manufacturers need to find ways to entice younger potential customers.

Considering the prices super bikes have been climbing to the past few years I think it makes sense to be brave and offer an entry level displacement bike that isn’t watered down or focused on commuting. When you look at current 1000cc & 600cc race replicas you’ll see that the price tag of this bike is about on par with this subsection of the moto industry right now.

Cycle world article on the new baby ZX super bike

The Ninja ZX-4RR is Kawasaki’s second sub-500cc inline four-cylinder powered product. The mechanical specifications of this motorcycle are quite impressive and are as follows:
-a 399cc, inline four-cylinder
-liquid-cooled engine with 16 valves (four valves per cylinder) and a Ram Air intake system
-While the company has not revealed the power output figure, this motor makes a peak torque of 36Nm at 11,000rpm and redlines at 16,000rpm
-six-speed transmission that benefits from a bidirectional quick-shifter and a slipper/assist clutch mechanism with auto blipping on downshifts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Wicked.

Motorcycle sales are less than half of the peak back in 2006. Nice to see US market still get the good stuff.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I knew exactly what this thread was going to be about! Big Grin While at the local dealership for something else, I was looking at a Ninja 400. The sales guy said just wait because they’d be getting the new ZX4-RR in soon.

This could be the first motorcycle I’ll purchase new, since my 1998 ZX9R that was $10,000 out the door. I settled for the maroonish red because I couldn’t find one in Kawasaki Green.

I don’t remember, but I think the FZR-400 had a 14,000rpm red line.

Posts: 10973 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I was pretty into bikes in the 90's and remember that. Now I'm late 50's and when I buy another bike it will be a minimum of 1000 cc's. I'm too old to pretend I'm Superbike racing on the street. I want highway passing power now.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks incredibly lightweight too. But I am too old and fat to try it on! Frown

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Will be curious to see how this performs, compared to the p-twin options

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15346 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to love small lightweight bikes when they were two strokes but once they all became 4 strokes the 750cc was the sweet spot for me. Partially because I’m 6’4” and 235lbs.

Once you get used to the torque of the bigger bores it’s hard to go back to high revving engines that don’t make much power unless they’re screaming. It’s probably much better with today’s technology though.

I’m surprised they don’t have a heat shield between the header and the oil filter.

Posts: 3927 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Has Kawasaki created a high revving, low vibration inline 4 that doesn't make your teeth chatter?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Like the engine but hate the styling.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7104 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like that Kawi made this, but in the scheme of history an FZR400 is going to just stomp on it. Its nice it has modern electronics, but everything else is just a price point and that point is at a really odd level. Way more than the twins and not very much less than the 600's. I briefly considered one for racing this year, but its going to end up in classes with many superior options.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Last year one of my next door neighbors purchased a new off the show room floor a Honda Grom (?) in 125cc(?) motor......About 3 months later he purchased a new Honda 300cc street bike and the proceeded to swap motors placing the 300cc motor into the Grom frame....Almost direct replacement.... now his Grom is a screaming street sleeper. .................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
400 cc, 4 cyl?

Are the pistons’ diameters same as a quarter’s? Lol

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am interested to see more when they are available on the street.

I am enjoying my 2022 MT-09 and hav been riding it everyday since purchased in July, except when it is raining when I set out. I just got back from a quick trip to drop a loaf of fresh baked bread.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
400 cc, 4 cyl?

That’s how they get it to rev like that.

Posts: 3927 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bore and stroke measure 57.0mm x 39.2mm (about the diameter of a soda can top) at redline revs are 266 times a second. I'd like to hear that.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3793 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
400 cc, 4 cyl?

^^^^^^^ Back in the 1960"s Honda had a bike designed for the GP Racing type track. It was a 4 cylinder that ideled at approx 11,000 rpm and required a outside seperate electric motor for starting purposes. Was capable of approx speeds of 125 mph on the race track with rider.....Total displacement of motor was 50cc..... Correct.. That was 50cc displacement. .......... drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
That’s crazy to think those engine assemblies can rotate 200-250 times in one second.

I was amazed that my jet ski can cruise along at 7500rpm. I can’t imagine leaving a car over 5k for more than a few seconds.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it would be very fun for an afternoon but less that fun for a daily driver. Overall a pretty cool bike.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Im just shocked it’s happening. I was 100% certain the days of 399cc inline fours revving to the moon were long gone.

Once again Kawasaki has done something brave and bold.

It’s illogical and would be redundant in my small moto collection but for some reason I find myself really wanting one of these ZX4RRs.

I’m not too worried about the USA getting a neutered version. If it’s accomplished via software that’s not gonna be too hard to undo. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It's slow, relatively, but a CBR250RR is a grail bike for me.
20k rpm, and that banshee wail, can run it hard without committing a felony.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15346 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post