SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Berry University Georgia, anyone have firsthand knowledge?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berry University Georgia, anyone have firsthand knowledge? Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
My daughter plans on being a doctor. She is now at a University but knows that it has a small % accepted to Med school. Last night she flew into Atlanta and will visit Berry today and tomorrow. Up to now, I have never heard of this school, but you can not know all the colleges in this country. Anyone have experience with Berry or studied there?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I visited there with my daughter. It made her very short list and I think it is a very fine school. It has a beautiful campus(the largest in the US) and their academics are outstanding; so are their ethics, about 97% of the students participate in some part time work on the campus.

There is no Greek life there. Whether that is a plus or minus depends on your viewpoint. But there are plenty of groups and activities.

The Cathey family, of Chick-Fil-A, are heavily involved with Berry. for me that is a huge plus.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have good friends whose daughter went there and loved it. It is a school for serious students. Not much partying.

Posts: 1000 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Here is the US News and World Report ranking. Looks pretty solid.

https://www.usnews.com/best-co...s/berry-college-1554

Posts: 1378 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
She is a very serious student. This is her first year at Stevens University and already she is doing research in Chemistry for a professor that heard she is a hard working student. She didn't have the professor that asked her to do research, but was highly recommended by her chemistry professor. She now works on campus for the theater department and is an EMT in the city her university is in.
Thanks for your comments.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:
Here is the US News and World Report ranking. Looks pretty solid.

https://www.usnews.com/best-co...s/berry-college-1554

I see you are from AZ. She was offered at full ride at the University of Arizona. She didn't want to go out west. I wish she would have taken a free education. We have friends there and she could see them on weekends if she wanted to get away from campus once in a while.

Living the Dream

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Its a beautiful campus set in Rome Ga. My parents met and fell in love there in the early 60’s. They used to have a boys academy (high school) and my dad is in the school’s hall of fame for baseball. He attends his reunions every year without fail and looks forward to it each year. I believe ChickFilA has a large footprint there and it’s historically Christian based. They were or are a private school, I’m not sure at the moment but used to be private. They participate in the University System of GA to some degree because when I worked with PeachNet, I used to work on their internet equipment/connection for the school. Not a party school and Rome isn’t a large city but they do have a decent Airshow there each year. If she’s looking to buckle down without too many distractions it’s a great school for that but if she wants a full on Sorority party experience this would disappoint in that area. I wish I were more help.

Posts: 6045 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I see you are from AZ. She was offered at full ride at the University of Arizona. She didn't want to go out west. I wish she would have taken a free education. We have friends there and she could see them on weekends if she wanted to get away from campus once in a while.

It’s hard to beat free. It’s only a couple of hours from Phoenix. My wife attended law school at U of A and liked it, as much as one can like law schoolSmile

Posts: 1378 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The average acceptance rate is 40 percent across all colleges. I am somewhat skeptical about the 97 percent acceptance rate at Berry. It could be they have a SPECIAL arrangement with certain schools, I just do not know. Yale lists their acceptance rate at 90 percent for example.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I had also heard the 97% acceptance rate but that sounds way to high for me. Her current school has a 33% acceptance rate. That I can understand, her school is noted for engineering degrees. She receives $55K a year scholarship so it was one of her back up schools.
We are going to Georgia the first week of November as we have the week off from school for teacher conventions. It would be nice if she goes to Berry as we plan to move there in 2-3 years when my wife has 25 years in and can retire with a pension and medical.

Living the Dream

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I had friends that went there a few decades ago and it was considered a good school but smaller. Don't have any recent knowledge.
Should be some reviews and info online.

Posts: 9831 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post