SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sunscreen or Rogaine?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunscreen or Rogaine? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Starting to lose hair at crown, it's been receding at the front for a while, but not bad. Now it's getting thin on top and I'd like to stop it.

For those that have used it, did it work? The reviews I've looked at says it works for most people, but the hair goes away as soon as you stop using it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
There are only three effective choices:

1. Finasteride
2. Transplants
3. Accept the hair loss

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Bald shaving is too much of a hassle for me, so I just buzz it with a 1/8" guard every couple weeks.

Head hair gets thinner, beard gets thicker... :/

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

1. Finasteride
2. Transplants
3. Accept the hair loss

Number one looks very scary...

Hair loss medication, Propecia (finasteride) may be linked to a side effect of sexual dysfunction, a problem which may not go away after treatment has stopped

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. Finasteride

How does throwing someone in through a window stop MPB? Wink

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32057 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I've been shaving my head every day - with the occasional weekend day or vacation day exception - since around 1992.

I use this as 'aftershave' on my head:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Rogaine does work. It takes commitment though. Will your hair all start falling out when you stop? I don't know, but I'm not willing to find out. Not yet anyway. I guess that's how they get you to keep buying their product.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

1. Finasteride
2. Transplants
3. Accept the hair loss

Number one looks very scary...

Hair loss medication, Propecia (finasteride) may be linked to a side effect of sexual dysfunction, a problem which may not go away after treatment has stopped

The side effects of finasteride are why I haven't tried it. A good friend of mine does use it though with pretty good success. I have no idea if he's experienced any of the side effects though. I should ask him. And President Trump uses it by the way. Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's important to note that if you do lose hair upon discontinuation of minoxidil, you lose only what was added by the treatment.

If sexual dysfunction does occur with finasteride (which is rare), the condition usually reverses itself upon discontinuation.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16960 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Accept the baldness and wear a hat. I started going bald around the age of 30. I am never without a hat when outdoors, even if cloudy. Both types of UV radiation can penetrate cloud cover, but especially UVA (the long wave UV). I have an annual dermatologist "skin check" visit, and he generally finds very few pre-cancerous spots on my head, mostly on my hands and lower arms. They respond well to freezing and generally will not morph into cancer even on their own (according to the dermatologist), but it is best to remove them at any rate.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
On a related topic, why has nose and neck hair growth increased greatly as I get older but the hair growth on my head gets less and less over time? In a couple years when I hit 50 I’ll probably just start shaving my head, hairline keeps receding more and more and growth is less and less.

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I would just wear a hat or sunscreen when required. Personally, I am not interested at all in a concoction of chemicals that grows hair.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If sexual dysfunction does occur with finasteride (which is rare), the condition usually reverses itself upon discontinuation.

Primary use of this drug is for BPH, it shrinks the prostate gland. A side effect has to do with minimizing hair loss.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Rather than throwing a bunch of money at expensive remedies with minimal results and weird side-effects, just accept it.

My hairline started receding when I was 20. Once it hit a certain point on my head at about age 24, I said "Screw it" and grabbed the razor.

I now shave my head every other day, and wear hats and/or sunscreen as needed.

This is my everyday face/head lotion. I then apply higher-strength sunscreen as needed throughout the day.

Posts: 33111 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Accept the natural hair loss. It's who you are. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
C'mon Skins. Time to shave it down to the skins.

I used to buzz it shorter and shorter as the hair always looked thicker the shorter I trimmed it.
Then eventually I started using a razor on it and I wished I had done it sooner.

No more worrying how my hair looked. And many ladies like the head shave look.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use a high quality Wahl trimmer (the KM1), generally made for animal trimming. About every six weeks, I just trim back the hair that grows on the sides. And I use a small Wahl trimmer (cost about $10) for the ears and nose hair, which as mentioned proliferates with age.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of shaving bald, some dudes look really good with it, including young ones (30s+). If it looks good with your overall appearance, I wouldn't mind trying it myself. Problem is, I don't KNOW if I would look good bald, hence the unwillingness to try it. If I did, I'd do it on a vactation to avoid embarrassment at work etc if it didn't look good. I've noticed the same thing with women who buzz cut their hair - some look great and some look bad. I guess the only way to know is to try and see how things go. There's a young fellow at work who looks like Yul Brynner, he looks very sharp and handsome with his shaved head. I think shaving bald is generally pretty cool for selected men.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I have a growing bald spot on the rear top of my head. I decided to grow my hair out, pull it back into a pony tail and cover that bald spot. I haven't had a real haircut in 2.5 years and like this look a lot better. We'll see what happens if I get called for a job interview I really want.

Posts: 3695 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. Finasteride

No hair issues here but taking it for the Prostate.
The only "dysfunction" issue is .... well, let's just say it's not me. Eek

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Problem is, I don't KNOW if I would look good bald, hence the unwillingness to try it. If I did, I'd do it on a vactation to avoid embarrassment at work etc if it didn't look good.

Try a shortish buzz first. Not only will it give you an idea of how you'd look totally bald, it will also allow your head to get some sun. That way, if/when you do decide to go all the way, you don't end up with the "glaring white cue ball" look for days/weeks until your head finally gets some color. And if you discover that your head is some funky shape that won't look good bald, you already have a head-start on growing the hair back.

Personally, I'm blessed with a nice round head. I look better shaved bald than I ever did with various hair styles.

Posts: 33111 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post