SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Traffic yield question?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traffic yield question? Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
No. Purple's yield sign applies to the intersection with the three lanes of Highway 45 traffic.

Agreed, otherwise when is purple allowed to stop yielding, when he gets home and turns car off? It's for the immediate merge/cross of traffic.

Just as with blue, he yields to traffic approaching from his left, but not to the other traffic he's crossing immediately afterward who have the stop signs.

The folks on Tamiami are the ones who really better be careful; they have to stop until all clear in every direction, and may well miss purple or blue zipping up from their rear quarter/side. And what does the road coming through Tamiami toward 45 have? I'm guessing nothing until their yield onto 45. I can imagine this leads to all sorts of confusion for purple/blue turning left up that access road, or people stopping where no stop sign exists.

ETA - holy shit. After typing Tamiami the 2nd or 3rd time, by old brain is thinkthinkthink OHWOW! Goes and digs up Port Charlotte map and sees yep, Tamiami is the access road at the end of Conway Blvd, where we lived for a year when I was 9. Had a paper route most of the way out to Tamiami, the convenience store where I spent half my earnings was out there, etc. Not sure how close this intersection is to that but wowza what a flashback. {I am FAR beyond 9YO now...}

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I was going to the bank at the north end of the frontage road and next traffic light up on the main road. Next time, I’m going straight so the guy can T-bone me. Big Grin

If you guys think this this intersection is fun, you should see our round abouts!

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

ETA - holy shit. After typing Tamiami the 2nd or 3rd time, by old brain is thinkthinkthink OHWOW! Goes and digs up Port Charlotte map and sees yep, Tamiami is the access road at the end of Conway Blvd, where we lived for a year when I was 9. Had a paper route most of the way out to Tamiami, the convenience store where I spent half my earnings was out there, etc. Not sure how close this intersection is to that but wowza what a flashback. {I am FAR beyond 9YO now...}

No kidding? The frontage road that Conway crosses starts at Gardner and ends at Harbor Blvd. The one I’m talking about is the next frontage road up from there. Maybe four stop lights and a mile. Just looked and the cross streets go Gardner, Conway, Easy, Harbor, Olean then this intersection, but not a cross street, Elkcam. Elkcam is Mackle backwards for the Mackle brothers who developed that area of Port Charlotte.

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
If you guys think this this intersection is fun, you should see our round abouts!

They started installing roundabouts here about 5ish years ago. Almost nobody in the area knew how to transit them then, and it has barely improved since. They're frequently a total shitshow.

A neighboring agency got into a pursuit a couple years ago, which headed towards a newly completed roundabout at high speeds. Fleeing driver either didn't have time to recognize the roundabout or didn't care, and hit the center median straight on at full speed, getting a bit of "Dukes of Hazzard" air off the ramped curb around the middle of the roundabout. Big Grin

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
It appears that 48% of those taking the poll don't know how to drive. Wink

Purple car turning toward the east has to yield to the northbound through traffic. Blue car has to yield to eastbound traffic.

Yield does not mean "stop and wait". It means you need to concede your place in lieu of other inbound traffic. Both of you could have gone at the same time and could have both "yielded" properly, so long as the blue car didn't obstruct the purple. Either or both could have stopped, and either or both could have rolled on through.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'm in good company then!

We don't need round abouts or police chases to play Dukes of Hazzard down here. It just happens naturally. Like this guy who launched his truck 20' high and a good 200' long, and landed upside down in the middle of the legendary Fishin' Frank's Bait and Tackle. A little faster and he may have cleared the entire building, but no. It all caught on fire. The guy lived though.

That's the bed of his truck above the building. you can see the bumper and hitch sticking up in the air. You can see the leaf spring and a piece of the rear wheel still attached to the axle.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, folks can get real Duke-y when they want to, even without extra assistance.

Like the drunk guy who swerved off the road at high speed, ramped his car off a drainage embankment, and buried it inside a multi-story apartment building. Imagine trying to explain to your insurance company that someone drove into your second floor apartment.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shit, I didn’t even see that. Seems like purple should yield to blue then. The guy came across the 3 lanes of traffic, got in front of me, and slowed down while pointing at my yield sign. Seems like he ignored his yield sign.

There was no other traffic, just us and we were both moving.

doesn't matter what he should have done, you had your own yield sign!!

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn’t think of it earlier, but here’s a satellite view from Apple Maps:

Pretend there are no other cars on the road except the purple and blue ones.

Where I’ve shown them is approximately where we were and we were both moving.

Oh, I misread the initial graphic.

In this graphic the blue car is merging with the purple car AFTER the purple car initiates its turn and is within the cross-traffic, not while the purple car is waiting to turn.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Blue car is entering a lane already occupied by the purple car.
The traffic island makes that so, along w the yield sign.
End of story.

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Purple car turning toward the east has to yield to the northbound through traffic. Blue car has to yield to eastbound traffic.

This.

First point is a no-brainer. Second point - the blue car is merging into thru-traffic. That is always a yield move...unless you live in Southern California.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Purple car has right away all day long on that.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Purple car has right away all day long on that.

Suddenly and immediately!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I see it now in the satellite view. What I drew is what I saw, but there is a clear lane the purple car is turning into. It's a miniature version of some Interstate on ramps.

posted Hide Post
It's actually very simple and actually dates back to the days of Sail. It's called the Rules of the Road and it applies equally to cars and watercraft. In this situation there are two seperate factors that both give the Blue car the Right of way.

Factor one is that the Purple car is behind the Blue car. You NEVER yield to traffic at your rear unless you are merging and the access lane has a Yield sign (which they all do).

Factor two is that the Blue car is within the "Danger Zone" of the Purple car. This zone spans a 135 degree angular seep from straight ahead at the centerline to 135 degrees to the right rear half quarter. In this case you must yield to any vehicle within that "Danger Zone". BTW this applies at 4 way intersections and even when you are turning left in traffic. Because as soon as your nose moves even a 1/2 to the left that approaching car will be in your "Danger Zone".

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^ Some of that would be true IF the blue car did not have a yield sign to make the right turn.

If what you said was true, then what purpose would the blue car's yield sign serve? Who would they be yielding to?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Factor one is that the Purple car is behind the Blue car. You NEVER yield to traffic at your rear unless you are merging and the access lane has a Yield sign (which they all do).

Which is exactly the case here, and why Purple has the right of way. Blue is wanting to merge into Purple's eastbound lane and has a yield sign.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Cheese and Rice! Blue, Purple, White, Black, what about Pink, nobody wants to be Pink!

Listen, it's simple Mr. Purple has the right of way, end of story, he's on a major highway crossing, Mr. Blue doesn't enter the intersection until either Mr. Purple is through, or, Mr. White and Mr. Black who are approaching the intersection from the bottom are through the intersection. At that point Mr. Purple must wait so's Mr. Blue can proceed as Mr. Purple cannot.

Now we have Mr. Pink, who, constantly complains about his girly sounding name, will have Mr. Brown next to him, should he come up behind Mr. Purple it follows the same rules as were for Mr. Blue before.

Now, if everyone is through with the color names, lets get to work...

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Cheese and Rice! Blue, Purple, White, Black Blonde, what about Pink, nobody wants to be Pink!

Listen, it's simple Mr. Purple has the right of way, end of story, he's on a major highway crossing, Mr. Blue doesn't enter the intersection until either Mr. Purple is through, or, Mr. White and Mr. Black Blonde who are approaching the intersection from the bottom are through the intersection. At that point Mr. Purple must wait so's Mr. Blue can proceed as Mr. Purple cannot.

Now we have Mr. Pink, who, constantly complains about his girly sounding name, will have Mr. Brown next to him, should he come up behind Mr. Purple it follows the same rules as were for Mr. Blue before.

Now, if everyone is through with the color names, lets get to work...

Fixed it, otherwise they all would have killed each other to be Mr. Black before they got into the intersection.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post