SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Revisiting repair of my old mower
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revisiting repair of my old mower Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had the blade brake rub the belt on my last mower and destroy belts. A belt broke and bent the guide and it would cut the new belt in no time.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34132 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have no troubleshooting advice to give. I read through the thread and I'm just impressed at the thoughts and advice of everyone who chimed in.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Your pulleys may be wore out. I have seen it happen in the machinery of the auto plants. Usually let's the belt slip but sometimes causes the belt to get hot.
They make a set of gauges to check them. Ones I had were just plastic but worked well.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Your pulleys may be wore out. I have seen it happen in the machinery of the auto plants. Usually let's the belt slip but sometimes causes the belt to get hot.
They make a set of gauges to check them. Ones I had were just plastic but worked well.
Do you mean the groove of the pulley causing the belt to sit too deep in the groove?

Posts: 45383 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many hours you have on your mower, but at seven years old your pulleys could be going bad and the problem may only show up when they are under load.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2093 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I don't know how many hours you have on your mower, but at seven years old your pulleys could be going bad and the problem may only show up when they are under load.
2100 hours

Posts: 45383 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Uneven wear of the tensioner pivot pin.

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Absolutely. Somehow the zerk wasn't letting grease get to the pin. It's rusty and deformed. I drove it out, lubed and reinstalled it. Didn't seem to help.

The part is unavailable. I may have to make one on the lathe.

posted Hide Post
Infrared thermometer or camera -

1 - expect this to be a test belt, likely to be destroyed.
2 - using such a camera or thermometer you can look at the spindles, belt, pulleys, etc. finding a hot spot will lead to a solution.
3 - you will obviously need to run the mower to get it hot. Do it in stages. Perhaps start it, run the deck while sitting still for 5 minutes. Shut it down and check for hot spots. Nothing? 10 minutes sitting still. Check again. Nothing? 5 minutes mowing.

You might find the drive pulley on the motor is doing it. Just do your “research” in steps. Change only ONE thing at a time.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Probably no help but I'll tell my ztr belt destroyer experience. In 2008 I bought one of the first Grasshopper 226V mowers produced. they used a kevlar idler pully and all was good until things got hot and then the kevlar pully would flex and throw the belt, often destroying it. grasshopper had great service and sent a repair crew to me 3 times. Factory stepped in and recalled the kevlar pullies and replaced with heavy steel version and that solved my problem.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I also have a Toro (Timecutter 5000) going on ten years now. It's an awesome machine.

You have replaced everything that really can be replaced so that pretty much leaves a bent deck. It can happen but those decks are pretty tough. I think it may be time to turn the old girl out to pasture. I know that if anything like that happened to mine I would replace it with the exact same model in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5048 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Do you mean the groove of the pulley causing the belt to sit too deep in the groove?

Yes, the sides of a V belt are what is suppose to be transmitting the power. When the pulley is wore out the belt sets on the bottom instead of the sides. Same as if you put a belt that is too narrow on. Once you tighten it up the belt rides only/mostly on the bottom.
You may only have one pulley that is wore out or all of them.

I was a millwright at GM for about 33 years and I probably changed a thousand or more wore out pulleys. Just a guess on the number but it was LOT of them!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:

Got a part number? I can check our stock.

More importantly, how’s the Bagger doing? Big Grin

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Absolutely. Somehow the zerk wasn't letting grease get to the pin. It's rusty and deformed. I drove it out, lubed and reinstalled it. Didn't seem to help.

Is Item 6 what you are describing, looks like a design change was made for those decks, do you know the PN?

Deck Diagram

Refresh my memory, was it snapping belts before the clutch change or just after.

If after, when the clutch was installed did anything change or move, did you have to reposition anything that would increase the length the belt would have to travel.

Generally I look to the last thing done when trouble shooting a problem, it's not uncommon though for something to let go at the same time for no apparent reason.

If that's the deck, is the spring on the tensioner installed properly or in need of replacement.

Looks like in used condition they bring in the mid $4K range, be a good amount to put down on a newer unit...

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Is Item 6 what you are describing, looks like a design change was made for those decks, do you know the PN?

Deck Diagram

Refresh my memory, was it snapping belts before the clutch change or just after.

If after, when the clutch was installed did anything change or move, did you have to reposition anything that would increase the length the belt would have to travel.

Generally I look to the last thing done when trouble shooting a problem, it's not uncommon though for something to let go at the same time for no apparent reason.

If that's the deck, is the spring on the tensioner installed properly or in need of replacement.

Looks like in used condition they bring in the mid $4K range, be a good amount to put down on a newer unit...
yes, part #6. It started about a year after the clutch install.
The spring is installed correctly but seems tighter than before. Maybe I'll try a belt that's am inch longer.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I posted the mower on Craigslist. I had a few tire kickers and one guy not show up but today a guy came and bought the old mower from me. He believes he can fix it. I wish him luck.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. My eXmark threw a belt last week and while putting it back on, I couldn’t believe how cracked and hard it was. On the other hand, it is 10 years old. My next thought was wondering if you figured out your issue.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would get an infrared heat gun/thermometer if you don't have one. They are handy for things like this and all sorts of troubleshooting.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/El...N-5yc1vZboffZ1z1180y

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post