SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody know anything about basement dehumidifiers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody know anything about basement dehumidifiers? Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
Going to the deep well of Sigforum knowledge....

My mother-in-law lives in Hudson, Ny. Her house was build in the 50s, and has a dirt cellar basement. She says she needs "a dehumidifier with drain hose".

Anybody have a recommendation? I don't know anything about them. Is this something you can pick up at Home Depot?

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Yes you can get one at any big box store. Just look for one that has a built in pump that will pump the water out through a thin tube.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
There's "drain hose" and "built in pump" models.

A "drain hose" has a knockout that you can screw a garden hose to and gravity drain to a sump or out a low area.

"Built in pump" will fill the tank and then activate a pump that can empty the tank up to 25 feet away (at least the one I use has that limit).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We're on our third dehumidifier in twenty-nine years for the basement (concrete walls and floor) in our 1300 sqft. ranch. (First one died. Second one, a De'Longhi purchased from Costco, was recently recalled due to fire hazard.)

We just installed the LG last Friday. It's this one: LG Model# UD501KOG5 PuriCare 50-Pint Clear Bucket with Handle Dehumidifier (Home Depot)

It's performing better than either of the previous two dehumidifiers we've owned. It got the basement humidity down from over 70% to 55% in less than an hour. (Verified by separate hygrometer.)

We have it hooked up to a hose that leads to the sump well.

But... you mom's trying to dehumidify bare dirt. And there'll always be more moisture in the ground to replace it. That seems futile?

quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
There's "drain hose" and "built in pump" models.

Yup. Unless she has a place to which it can drain using gravity, she'll need a model with a pump. Then she'll have to pay attention to the pump's limitations as to length and lift.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that sells appliances for a living, including dehumidifiers. They are on the 5th generation of the family business.

His opinion when I asked about dehumidifiers myself recently this was that the Chinese own the market, they are all basically disposable now so get the cheapest one you can find in the size you need as they all live about the same amount of time.

I did just that.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the temperature in the basement? Some dehumidifiers work in cool areas and some don't. If you buy it at Walmart you can get a four year guarantee for about $40. I had one go bad about one week before the four years was up and got a new one for almost nothing. Saved about $225.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
All brands appear to be the same and all made in China. I have had several and the current one I got at Sears.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I buy the largest size that has the best ratings on Amazon and replace it when it goes bad.
A good one with good luck lasts 2-3 years, others not that much.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Is there a drain or way to get the water outside with the hose?
The hose just stops one from having to drain it yourself
But it no place for the hose to dispose the water outside the basement you really aren’t solving the problem.

The Kenmore in my shop is likely ridiculously inefficient but it is likely 20+ years old.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I keep mine in the basement where there's a sink nearby and the hose goes into the sink drain.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. I just bought a new one today with a store rebate and state energy saving rebate. Basically cost nothing. When I bought the house there was a hole drilled right through the foundation floor for a dehumidifier drain. The hose goes in there. I'd never heard of anything at the time, but since have heard many people do this. I'm on a hill so don't see any problem.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Dirt floor?

That thing will run 24/7/365 trying to keep up and it never will.

Can this basement be encapsulated with plastic or even cemented first? I really think trying to run a dehumidifier in a bare dirt floor is a losing battle.

They do add to your electric bill too.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
They end up being very expensive to run.
Mitigating the floor moisture in a barrier manner first is highly advisable.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post