SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hero French Pilot in Entebbe Hijack Dies Aged 95
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hero French Pilot in Entebbe Hijack Dies Aged 95 Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.breitbart.com/midd...hijack-dies-aged-95/

(AFP) Nice, FRANCE — A French pilot hailed for bravery during a hijacking drama targeting Jews on an Air France flight in 1976 has died aged 95, his son told AFP on Wednesday.
Michel Bacos (pictured above, right) died in the southern city of Nice, where he had been living since 2006, their son Eric told AFP.

Bacos was flying from Tel Aviv to Paris on June 27, 1976, when Palestinian and German radicals hijacked the aircraft, which was flown to Entebbe in Uganda.

The former French Resistance fighter earned France’s highest award, the Legion d’Honneur, for refusing to leave the plane and ordering his crew to remain with Jewish passengers who were separated from non-Jews.

“By courageously refusing to give into anti-Semitism and barbarism he honoured France,” Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi wrote in a tribute, hailing Bacos as “a hero” and sending condolences to his widow Rosemary and their three sons.

The hijackers boarded the flight during a stopover in Athens and demanded it change course.

After a refuelling stop in Moamer Kadhafi’s Libya, the plane headed to Uganda, then ruled by brutal dictator Idi Amin.

The hostages were freed after six days by Israeli commandos, who launched a raid that has since been re-told in multiple documentaries and films as one of the most audacious special-forces operations in history.

The commandos freed all but four of the 105 hostages, shooting dead all the kidnappers and several Ugandan troops in the process.

The only Israeli soldier killed in Operation Thunderbolt was Yonatan Netanyahu, the elder brother of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

In an interview with Israel’s Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper in 2016, Bacos said that as he flew the plane a German hijacker “sat behind me with his gun pointed at my head.

“Every time I tried to look in a different direction, he pressed the barrel of his gun against my neck.”

On arrival in Uganda, the hijackers separated passengers with Jewish names from the rest.

“I told the Palestinians and the Germans: ‘I’m responsible for all of the passengers and demand to be able to see all of them — be they Israeli or not — at any given moment.’ I insisted, and the Germans agreed.”

“As a former officer in the Free French Forces, I couldn’t imagine leaving behind not even a single passenger.”

Two weeks after the hijacking, Bacos was back at work and asked to fly to Israel “to see if I were still afraid.”

That flight, he said, “went without a hitch.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

a hero indeed

BTW, just to clarify (from Wiki):

The terrorists freed the 148 non-Jewish passengers, and offered to release Bacos and his crew. They felt duty-bound to remain on the plane, and refused to leave. They stayed behind with the Jewish hostages

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been to Entebbe many times (and in fact stay in Qaddafi's old place); the old terminal where the hostages stayed and the rescue took place is still there, by the UN compound. Still full of bullet holes, too.

The crew handled it well, and the resulting "raid on Entebbe remains one of the single greatest hostage rescue acts on record.

The last movie did an excellent job of portraying it, except that it left out the fact that for the rescue, hundreds more were killed in retaliation, in Uganda.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
The former French Resistance fighter

This part stood out to me. Those PLO idiots didn't have any idea they were messing with a true badass when they boarded that plane (and apparently, didn't realize that a bunch of IDF badasses were prepared to fly thousands of miles to kill them and take their hostages back, either). I doubt there was much they could do to him that he hadn't already seen. And insisting on staying with the Israeli passengers when he had an opportunity to be freed with the rest is one of the most honorable things I've ever heard of someone doing.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Good post. Thanks.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still regard the Entebbe Raid as perhaps the best Bicentennial gift we could have received -- A reminder from Israel that freedom is paid for with blood, and that we should remain ready to shed ours for our own liberty.

Thank you, too, Michel Bacos.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Michel Bacos efforts inscribed him. B"H.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
By courageously refusing to give into anti-Semitism and barbarism he honoured France ...

Not just France.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post