SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm happy to live in a "free state"-guns are no big deal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm happy to live in a "free state"-guns are no big deal Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I own and operate a retail car stereo store, and we work on a lot of vehicles, and see a fair number of guns. Sometimes people just mention there's one in the console, etc. Sometimes people take it with them. The reason I'm mentioning this now is that yesterday we put new speakers in a F-150, and the guy had a pistol in a holster mounted below the steering column. I just realized that he didn't mention it, my installer didn't mention it, and I didn't even look closely enough to see what it was. No big deal. Made me smile to realize it.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Just the way it should be, but all too often isn't.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty good on these things, but I would consider it negligent to leave an unsecured gun in a vehicle in for service at a shop I did not have a long term relationship with. just me.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm pretty good on these things, but I would consider it negligent to leave an unsecured gun in a vehicle in for service at a shop I did not have a long term relationship with. just me.

Depends on where you live.

Live on the East coast they would call SWAT.
Live in Texas they want to know what kind of "load" you are using and what is recoil like?

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it all depends where you are. I stopped locking the underseat lock boxes closed when empty after one was pried (I assume, might have been cut) open and stolen out of the car while it was in the shop for a while. It was there long enough that it could have been any of several people and it went to the dealership in the middle for other service, so I can’t even be positive what shop it happened in.
Ever since the box is closed, but the latch in the open position, dials set to something that doesn’t allow manipulation of the latch. Anyone who cares can open and see it is empty without destroying anything and they do not learn the code. If there is a firearm in the box, nobody else has access to the car. Sigh, living amongst commies sucks. Frown

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Nice...
The Local Fire Dept just posted the below sign on their official public Facebook page. Right after the 13th annual chili cook-off announcement scheduled for next Sat.

And people ask if I like living here...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Yep that's good ole Louisiana

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
As liberal as Minnesota is, it’s pretty much anything goes, when it comes to guns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The good ole days still exist in many parts of this great country.

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Free states are the best states.

On a side note....anyone else see the resemblance in 12131's self portrait(avatar) and the meme he posted. Makes one think who he really is.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
As liberal as Minnesota is, it’s pretty much anything goes, when it comes to guns.

I know this is a little off topic but I still don't like the fact that I can go into a store, buy a handgun and walk out with it in just a few minutes and carry it just about anywhere but I can't have a knife that is an auto-opener.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
No big deal. Made me smile to realize it.

And that is good.

But I do recall some gun issues after Hurricane Katrina...

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I own and operate a retail car stereo store, and we work on a lot of vehicles, and see a fair number of guns. Sometimes people just mention there's one in the console, etc. Sometimes people take it with them. The reason I'm mentioning this now is that yesterday we put new speakers in a F-150, and the guy had a pistol in a holster mounted below the steering column. I just realized that he didn't mention it, my installer didn't mention it, and I didn't even look closely enough to see what it was. No big deal. Made me smile to realize it.

live free or die

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'd probably also view it as irresponsible to leave your vehicle unlocked with the windows down when you went shopping at the local grocery store. Yet having spent some time on Montana this past summer, most people there would view it as completely normal. Heck, I even saw keys left in consoles in those unlocked cars.

Like noted above, it really depends on where you live.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
It says something about you as an owner when the customer trusts you and your installers with his firearm. Pretty nice.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

I know this is a little off topic but I still don't like the fact that I can go into a store, buy a handgun and walk out with it in just a few minutes and carry it just about anywhere but I can't have a knife that is an auto-opener.

Truth

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
You'd probably also view it as irresponsible to leave your vehicle unlocked with the windows down when you went shopping at the local grocery store. Yet having spent some time on Montana this past summer, most people there would view it as completely normal. Heck, I even saw keys left in consoles in those unlocked cars.

Like noted above, it really depends on where you live.

Yes, that would solidly blow my mind.

I still do the walkaround of my house every night before bed, because experience has taught me that people suck. A lot.

With the local PD chief sleeping within a long football pass (one of MY long football passes...and college pro I ain't) of my back door, this is probably unnecessary. But it's a simple, low-cost precaution to take.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post