SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Berry growers… little help please. Actually a LOT of help needed.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berry growers… little help please. Actually a LOT of help needed. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
My farmers daughter wife has fond memories of the raspberries (spelling?) her father grew in her youth.

I have the time, place and inclination to attempt to grow some for her.

The berries have to be
1-Raspberries
2- Black
3- Thornless
She will not compromise on those three points.

HELP!
I have grown lots of things but never berries other than Strawberries.

Anyone?

Verities (zone 7) vendors, methods etc. a good information source perhaps?
Should/could they be planted now, or in spring?

I bet we have multiple expert berry growers on board!

Thanks!

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
sounds berry interesting, looking forward to some juicy information...

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I am very fond of raspberries - my all time favorite fruit.

I can't say as I've grown these but they do look promising.

Mail-order source for "Born Free" thornless black raspberry plants

Website says they ship in fall, and are good in zones 5-8.

Posts: 15157 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the thorns, if I did I would grow them without.

I do know that here in connecticut, we planted raspberries some 20 years ago, red and golden. We don't do anything. They come back every year, first the raspberry then the golden raspberry on a 2 or 3 week delay. We don't even water them.

We have to trim them back every other year or they will overgrow the 14 foot circular plot.

Same with our blackberry patch. We grow them along a fence line and had to make an over hanging trellis for them. They spread like wild fire and we have to trim them back as well.

This is them in early may. By July you couldn't see the fountain as the raspberries over grew it.

Right now you see just dirt and some stems sticking out of the ground until next spring.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4883 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I am very fond of raspberries - my all time favorite fruit.

I can't say as I've grown these but they do look promising.

Mail-order source for "Born Free" thornless black raspberry plants

Website says they ship in fall, and are good in zones 5-8.

Thanks! Looks promising But 35 bucks each! Might have to start with 2-3 a nd propagate more myself.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1-Raspberries
2- Black
3- Thornless

We've grown red raspberries since I can remember but I have never seen black ones. Is that something special? We do have black berries that grow like weeds here and salmon berries but not black raspberries.

Posts: 2131 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post