SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My gun room is ever evolving, reloading organization today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My gun room is ever evolving, reloading organization today. Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I love being organized and tidy.

I’m also a cheap ass, so since the coffee we drink doesn’t come in large tubs, and we don’t have a cat for litter tubs, I bit the bullet and bought 28 tupperwares.

I still gotta sort pistol brass, large caliber rifle brass, and bullets, but it’s gonna work well. I need some more ammo cans for primers though. I wanna keep them sealed.

And yes, I know my powder stash is rookie at best.

This second smaller safe I bought last year is already full of ammo. Plus quite a few MTM 4x pallets on top of the big safe. I’m enjoying the hell out of my zombie/covid part duex prep.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Nice

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Outstanding organization of your ammo there, Otto!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking great Otto !!!! Post more pics as you progress, please.

Posts: 989 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
The investment in storage will provide a huge ROI in lower stress and avoiding inadvertent duplications. Trust me… Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1727 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 5341 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very OCDish. Looks great.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I mean, nothing was in alphabetical order, the alignment of the boxes wasn't completely centered, and the bullets didn't seem in order by size of caliber.

I mean, for OCD I just don't feel your heart is in this.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2058 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
its not OCD its CDO, you need the letters in order LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!!!!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5171 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only reload handgun ammo now (38/357, 9mm) and I use the 5 gallon buckets from home depot to dump/store my spent brass into. Then pull out and tumble as necessary. I did the same when I used to reload .45, .40 and.223/556.

Posts: 806 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Another forum said I should never store primers enclosed in an ammo box or safe. Makes sense if they are more sensitive than loaded ammo but I’ve never heard that before.

The powder is sealed in the bottle so I figure I’d seal the primers from moisture.

Yall ever heard this.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^ yes, primers should only be stored in the packaging they come in and no stored inside metal boxes or safes. Why-because they don’t burn like power does-they detonate.

If you put your primers in anUSGI ammo can and it sets off the primers, the can becomes shrapnel. And that harms fire fighters who might be trying to put out your fire.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Another forum said I should never store primers enclosed in an ammo box or safe. Makes sense if they are more sensitive than loaded ammo but I’ve never heard that before.

The powder is sealed in the bottle so I figure I’d seal the primers from moisture.

Yall ever heard this.

Nice organization there!

I think you would be fine to use a sealed tupperware for primers. Toss in a desiccant pack if you like.

The primer issue is the same as with powder. If the pressure is contained it will build rapidly to catastrophic levels. A plastic container will burst early, releasing the pressure before an explosion.

Posts: 9709 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

Yall ever heard this.
There's a name for a closed box containing explosive material, it's called a "bomb." Maybe use a plastic ammo can?

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
^^ yes, primers should only be stored in the packaging they come in and no stored inside metal boxes or safes. Why-because they don’t burn like power does-they detonate.

If you put your primers in anUSGI ammo can and it sets off the primers, the can becomes shrapnel. And that harms fire fighters who might be trying to put out your fire.

Ok, so I take those 1k primers, reload 1k rnds of 9mm and throw them in a 30 cal ammo box and set them on the shelf not unlike ammo that I might buy new from the store. So tell me why is ok to store ammo in a metal box but not the primers alone??

Posts: 447 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Wanted to clarify also, the boxes of primers were in a can, not lose primers. I know that went without saying but I had to say it.

I can understand if they are more sensitive than powder, but I’d also wager the risk is extraordinarily low. Regardless, I’ve moved em to Tupperware.